6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2015 4:50 AM by brightlybob RSS

Am I being taken for granted?

buckshot Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a current Platinum Elite with Lifetime status. Even though I continue to stay at least 100 nights per year, the last two years it seems as though my loyalty is being taken for granted. Time was I used to get a room on the same floor as the lounge or, at least, one of the Elite member floors. That rarely ever happens anymore. Today I checked in with a colleague. We booked our rooms at the same time. My colleague is at a lower status and years away from Lifetime status at any level. They got the Lounge floor, I got the lower floor. I like the convenience of being on the same floor as the lounge or an adjacent floor. I know it is a small issue, but seems as though my loyalty is not appreciated as it was a few years back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Am I being taken for granted?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

hadn't thought of that but it has happened to me most times. This week I was at the Ren in Raleigh as was put on 8th floor 2 floors below the lounge and I believe that has happened most times. I never thought it might be because I am lifetime and that gets a lower position .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I want to say they look at your status and allocate inventory accordingly, but I don't think that is the case at many properties. I simply think they book rooms wherever they want and change them as needed.

If you stay at CY, SHS, RI, and the like, I find the rooms you get aren't thought of very carefully at all. I find that FS Marriott, Ren, and JW properties, there are often room coordinators who's job is to manage the inventory and placement of elites. The type of property and the focus a property gives on room inventory and status is the deciding factor much more than your elite level or LTE/PPE/Plat. Just my two cents...

Platinum 28 Reviews

My suggestions for member representation and/or an ombudsman to suggest and correct wrongs has been criticized by many.

Is this "topic/complaint/concern" an example of the need for a member that can communicate our feelings to Marriott?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Definitely sounds frustrating, buckshot. Achieving Platinum Elite Status is a prestigious and honorable accomplishment, so thank you for your loyalty.  I do not believe you are being taken advantage of.  In situations like these, it is always good to ask for what you'd like.  Sometimes the front desk agents just need a little reminder. 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

That's very good advice carat.  I have found that the front desk Associates are often newbies and you often need to school them regarding your elite status.  At least, it doesn't hurt to try!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I find I am upgraded almost all the time, though I freely concede that with almost all my 600 lifetime nights spent in the EU this is probably because Plats are a much rarer sight, hence there's far less competition for upgrades. Added to that most  Marriotts in the EU are older buildings with a variety of room sizes meaning there's plenty of upgrade options available.

Looking at my 20 lifetime North American nights, these have been:

Albany CY. No upgrade

New York City Marriott Marquis. Upgraded to concierge floor

Niagara Marriott Fallsview. Upgraded to high floor (booked a low floor suite, higher floors cost more at Niagara!)

Oakville FFI. No upgrade

Ottawa Marriott. Upgraded to Exec room

Philadelphia Marriott. Upgraded to concierge floor

Toronto Airport Marriott. Upgraded to Exec room

Toronto Eaton Marriott. Upgraded to Corner view room

I think in North America Plats are a common sight with high numbers competing for upgrades and I'd imagine that those  hotels with restricted upgrade options keep some unbooked upgraded rooms to one side for those Plats that request them on checkin. Had I been bothered about an upgrade at either the CY or FFI I would have asked.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...