11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2015 12:08 PM by phctourist RSS

Gold member JW or Marriott?

ally_nola Gold
Currently Being Moderated

If I had a choice betwwen JW and a regular Marriott which should I choose.  We will be going to NEw Orleans I want to use points.  The points are the same. I am a gold member. The hotels are across the street from each other. Are the benifits different?  I have never stayed at a JW before.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold member JW or Marriott?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I haven't stayed at either, but I've heard not so good things about the NOLA Marriott.  JWs are usually nicer so I'd give that a try since points are the same.  Benefits for golds are the same at both brands, and the Marriott has a CL but not a very good one from what I've heard.  Maybe worth checking to see if they both have CLs or whether you get free breakfast if they don't or if the CL is not open.  There are a few opt out hotels that don't offer the same benefits, so check out whether the JW is one of those.  Also check Trip Advisor and see what reviewers are saying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ally_nola Gold

I did not think about Trip Advisor..Thanks

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I have stayed at both and there is no question .. The JW is much better ! The Marriott has small rooms and nothing special about it at all. The pools are nice but if your saying they are the same points then it is no brainer ... JW.

I have also stayed at the Renaissance right down the street which is nice too but the JW is the best option.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

JWs are , on the whole, significantly nicer.  My wife and I stayed at the New Orleans Marriott and were very disappointed with the CL.  We had decided to try the JW on our next trip to NO but the Marriott has redone its CL and I don't know if that is still an issue.  The two hotels are, indeed, almost across the street from each other so location is not relevant to your decision.  I'd go with the JW in the absence of a cost differential. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

JW Marriotts do have a reputation of being of higher quality than the regular Marriott branded hotel.  I have frequented the one in Atlanta many times.  The concierge lounge there definitely has better offerings over any of the Marriott branded lounges I've been too.  Since the point values are the same in New Orleans I would definitely go for the JW Marriott hotel.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

In my experience, it is all property dependent.  I tend to compare based on location, amenities available, and what I'm planning on doing while there.  This may not be very helpful for you, while the JW's tend to be nicer, full service Marriott's are just as nice.  So, in my opinion, its a toss up. 

Do let us know what you end up choosing though!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HHere in England we still have the star system and Courtyards are 3-star, Marriotts and Rens 4-star with the only JW a 5-star, though it would be fair to say that several Marriotts in London are rated as 5-star. I'd say JW is meant to be more upscale than a Marriott but undoubtably there will be several old JWs out there that are outshone by many Marriotts.

Iit's generally a good rule of thumb rule that new beats old, even if in different star categories, so a new 3-star is generally better than a dated 4-star, amd a new 4-star better than a dated 5-star. Note however this shouldn't apply to the true luxury end of the 5-star market like Ritz, Mandarin and Four-Seasons, these properties should be immaculately maintained in age-defying style.

ally_nola Gold

Well,  I dont believe that the JW was worth it.  I was not impreseed and the room either had bed bugs or I was highly alergic to the sheets.  The hotel was not helpful at all.  I have cancelled another reservation that I made for the hotel in feb 16.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That stinks. Thanks for sharing the experience though. You may have steered some folks to a better stay and that means something.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Although a generalization I have found that JW's are usually superior to the regular FS properties as well as Marquis.

A good example is San Francisco.   Around Union Square are three Marriotts.  A Marquis, a standard and a JW.  The JW is far superior to the others. 

The SF example is the only city where these three FS properties are with a block of each other.

Without the advice from fellow members who have stayed at both properties in New Orleans I would choose the JW if there wasn't geographical considerations etc.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I stayed at the FS Marriott, a few years ago, and was disappointed with the CL.  A recent post said that the FS Marriott has dramatically improved their CL so I don't know if my experience is still relevant.  The JW is smaller and might be a bit quieter, and JWs do tend to be better than FS Marriotts.

My guess is that you won't make a mistake regardless of which hotel you choose, so don't agonize too much over the decision.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...