10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2015 11:56 AM by carat RSS

What are you reading?

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

I don’t know about the rest of you, but as the seasons change and the weather begins its transition into a more gloomy and rain-laden state, I find myself thinking about a good read more so than any other time of the year (although we should be reading at all times of the year, and as much as we can; knowledge is power, y’all).

I’m also fortunate enough to live near the one of the best places on Earth: Powell’s City of Books! Have any Insiders that are familiar with Portland been to this book store? I happily get lost in that store each time I’m there. From fantasy to historical fiction, nonfiction to life philosophy, I love it all. I firmly believe that books are something we need to preserve and protect the integrity of, as we quickly transform into a completely digital world. There’s nothing wrong with a kindle or reading digitally, but there’s something to be said for the smell of a book, the feel of the paper as the pages turn, and the sound a hardback makes when shut and shelved. Anyone else agree?

Lots of you travel, which means you’re spending extended amounts of time on planes, on your hotel balcony overlooking the pool, on the beach under a sun umbrella, or cooped up in your room. That being said, what are you guys reading? Have you picked up a great work this year? A few? Did you re-read something that resonates with you? Have a favorite Author?

As for me, I spent this year re-reading classics that I haven’t touched in a while. I just got done with Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, and also recently read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. Additionally, I read a wonderful book called Karma Gone Bad by Jenny Feldon. It’s a true story about the author, who shares her experiences from when she moved from New York City to India, due to her husband receiving a job offer. It’s a great look at the cultural differences that can be found across the globe, and I definitely recommend it if you’re considering a trip to India!

There are some wonderful threads with awesome recommendations on this topic, give them a looksy!

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/11025?start=0&tstart=0

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/91466#91466

Thanks in advance for sharing your recommendations folks, and I may take a trip back to Powell’s to give some of your recs. a read!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
marriott
  • Re: What are you reading?
    *lucky1* Silver

Great question I just finish Killing Reagan by Bill O'Reilly. I too love to read and enjoy all different topics. Thanks for naming some books I think I will order Karma Gone Bad from library it sounds like a good read.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

Great thread, lindseyh! I actually started a Pinterest board of books I have read and loved. Many, many more I want to add but it's a start! Books Worth Reading on Pinterest | Historical Fiction, The Alchemist and Paulo Coelho

*lucky1* Silver

I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho about three months ago thought it was a great read too! I told my mother and son to read also .  I also love the quotes from that book! It is one of my favorites.  One of them......"When you want something all the Universe conspires in helping you achieve it"...........Paulo Coelho

Happy  reading!!!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Powell's on Burnside?  My Mother-In-Law used to work it that building long ago when she was a fit model for White Stag.  How's that for some Portland history!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I am currently reading "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  I just finished "The Wright Brothers" by David McCulloch.  This is an excellent book for those interested in flight and flying.

*lucky1* Silver

Starting on Bury Me Standing, The Gypsies and Their Journey. By Isabel Fonseca.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Love this topic! I am currently reading "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins, and bough two more for when I am done, "Truth or Die" by James Patterson (my favorite author!) and "Tell No Lies" by Gregg Hurwitz. As you can see, I love murder mystery books I give the books to my best friend when I'm done and the two of us have a little book club regroup after she's finished to go over all the juicy details and surprises along the way. It's always fun to see how the same book can spark different theories or reactions from people.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Great thread, lindseyh! Is anyone on Goodreads? It helps you track books you want to read, and books you've read and gives you recommendations. I love it! Only second best to Powels in Portland! I am partial to autobiographies and memoirs - anyone have any recommendations? 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Currently, 1491.  Just finished Outlander. I've also been reading National Geographic at my physical therapist's office while doing hot and cold packs. Every issue is really good.  Thinking about subscribing.  I will be asking Santa for the last installment in Ken Follett's Century Trilogy.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Love this thread!  I'm a huge fan of reading while traveling, especially on planes.  I've read a few books from Liane Moriarty, recently and have enjoyed them.  I also really enjoyed "Girl on a Train", probably the book I've enjoyed most this year.  I've currently got a few books open at the moment, but haven't had much time to finish them; 

The Art of Happiness, The Dalai Lama (Great introduction to Buddhism)

Luckiest Girl Alive, Jessica Knoll

Hopefully I'll find time soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...