5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2016 4:51 PM by boomer RSS

Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter

kurtzie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a frequent business traveler, I appreciate the consistency that I get from Marriott locations. We all know some are better than others, but you know what to expect. I'm currently staying in the Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter, and I'm not happy. The hotel was just opened a couple months ago, and it very nice in most ways. The room, lobby, bar, and new M Club lounge are all good. The big problem is that there is no desk and chair in the room. Instead I'm currently sitting on a couch with a raised coffee table acting as a desk. This is horribly uncomfortable after a pretty short amount of time. Also, the nearest power source is about 5 ft from the coffee table. I don't think I've ever seen a hotel room without a desk. I could understand it in a tropical location that's only visited by people on vacation, but this hotel is in downtown Buffalo. As a business traveler the lack of a desk in unacceptable. Next time I'm in Buffalo I will just stay across the street in the courtyard. Not a huge issue for me, but certainly lost revenue for Marriott.

I spoke with the front desk, and they said none of the rooms have desk as part of a test by Marriott. That said, test failed. Please install desks, and don't let this become a trend in other locations.

Sorry this post is primarily negative as the hotel is quite nice. Any vacationers will really enjoy it, but no desk is frustrating. Especially right now as I've been hunched over uncomfortably working for the last 2 hours.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Buffalo, New York, USA
  • Re: Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I can see how that would be frustrating, kurtzie.  Especially when you travel primarily for business. 

I also see you are new to the forum.  Welcome to Insiders!  As you may have already seen, this is a great place to talk about all things travel.  It's also a great spot to share your travel recommendations and experiences.  My name is carat and I moderate the community along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you every have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us.  I've also included a link to our  'Getting Started Guide' just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Again, welcome!  Looking forward to hearing more from you. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, I can't imagine not having a desk!  I must say that many of the Marriott's I have been to, often have a lack of outlets to plug into for working unless you are at the desk!!  I'm curious what they filled the "space" with due to lack of a desk and chair??? 

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I just stayed there recently (2nd time) and actually loved the hotel! I can understand your point. I did need to do some work in the room but I actually preferred the couch and movable table. I was very comfortable. I found this hotel extremely modern. I really love the room! Great big stand up shower. Wood floor. Big TV. Everything is new. I did have an issue with room service but it was brought to the managers attention and he went way beyond in taking care of me. I never excepted or wanted that but there service was just excellent from the manger, clerk and the bartenders. To be honest, this is one of my favorite hotels and I am from Buffalo. I am looking forward to my next stay there in a couple of weeks. I also loved  the new M lounge. Open 24 hours a day and they did a great job and it has an excellent view of the harbor.

kurtzie Platinum

In the best display of customer service that I have ever seen, corporate must have contact the hotel because about an hour after the original post I got a call from the front desk offering to bring me a desk and chair from their conference rooms. It was a great experience as they not only understood my problem, but quickly remedied it. VERY impressive!!

@ne_traveling_man - there is space where a deck and chair could easily be placed, but it's currently just open space. I think they set up the room that way in case the test didn't work out.

@taxman193 - I agree, the hotel is very nice. I like pretty much everything about it as it's a great modern hotel. My only issue was the lack of desk and chair. To your point, that could be a matter of personal preference.

boomer Platinum

I have not stayed at that property as I usually stay at the Marriott in Amherst as it is closer to my work location.  They are going through a room refresh so I hope the desk stays.  I get frustrated when the desk phone has been removed as I use it for conference calls that I take from the room as a speaker/landline is better than an iPhone!  Never thought that the desk would be next.

As a side comment, other than the weather, Buffalo is an area I enjoy visiting very much.  The people are all very nice and the food is awesome (Buffalo pepperoni pizza is to die for, beef on Weck at Schwabls or Charlie the Butcher, sandwiches at Costanzos, Sahlens charcoal grilled dogs at Teds or, of course wings at Duffs).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...