7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2015 12:15 PM by carat RSS

Courtyard Waikiki - review

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm at the Courtyard Waikiki and thought I'd post a few comments for the Hawaii-bound looking for a hotel.  The hotel is on a very busy street crammed in among many tall buildings in the heart of Waikiki.  There is very little parking, and I tried to find a ramp to self-park but gave up and used the valet service which is $37/night.  Ouch!  But parking in Honolulu is scarce and expensive, so no surprises.  The hotel, like most in Waikiki, is older and nothing to look at from the outside.  It's undergoing a renovation right now, so there's scaffolding up all over, and you can't use the balconies in the rooms as they are locked during renovations.  I don't care that much but I can see that it would be annoying to some.  I'm in room 1710 which is newly remodeled, so very fresh and clean.  I was upgraded to a larger room with a microwave, mini-fridge, sink and 4-cup coffeemaker.  So those amenities are very nice and much appreciated.  The room has one full-size bed so not a place for a family of 4!  But fine for me as a solo business traveler.  No view unless you count a glimpse of the mountains between the big, ugly, white-ish 60s era concrete behemoths that make up the city of Honolulu.  I can see into a bunch of people's apartments, basically.  Location is near many Wakiki shops and restaurants and a short 10 minute walk to the beach.  So if you are wanting to save money but be close to the beach, this is a good option if you can get a reasonable rate.  I paid $152/night which is very good for this area, although it's November so probably not high season for Waikiki.  I'm here for a conference at the Sheraton which was $298/night at the conference rate, but I elected to stay here as I wanted more MR points and nights toward elite status.  Plus, it cost half as much and I was able to "sell' this trip to my firm's management due to the reasonable costs.  For some reason, they get weird about business trips to Hawaii as it's generally assumed that the person going will screw around and vacation instead of tending to business.  So, this hotel is just fine for a business trip or someone wanting to stick to a budget.  The pool area is very small so definitely not a resort type atmosphere.  There's a small bar in the lobby.  This place would be good for a couple on a budget who wants an urban experience or for the business traveler.  It's just fine for my purposes and a good value so no complaints.  When I return with the family we'll go to the MVCI at Ko Olina or perhaps try Maui, Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Waikiki Beach
  • Re: Courtyard Waikiki - review
    ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Nice write-up/review!

I have stayed there a couple of times on business - not sure if your room was like mine, but the shower was the size of a phone booth!!!  To your point, if you are there on business it is a nice clean room with a king size bed and is less than the Marriott Waikiki (with my company's discounted rate I now stay at the Marriott Waikiki as the price works out to be just about the same).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for sharing, clebert!  Have you explored the area at all?  Do you have any recommendations?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Recommendations:

1.     Azure restaurant at the Royal Hawaiian - right on the beach.

2.     Drinks and pupus at the Halekulani - right on the beach.

3.     Crispy fish tacos at Surf N Turf - on Kulio a couple blocks east of the Courtyard.

4.     Walk to beach through/near the park Fort DeRussy - the best part of the beach is along this stretch with public           restrooms, various rentals, etc.

5.     Snorkel at Hanauma Bay - 20 min. drive from Waikiki.

6.     Hike up Diamond Head.

7.     Hike up Koko Head.

8.     Hike up to Manoa Falls.

9.     Drive up Tantalus Drive to the lookout and hike the various rainforest trails (recommend Makiki Valley trail).

10.     Pearl Harbor and Valor in the Pacific Sites, including Punchbowl National Cemetery

11.     High end shopping or tacky tourist shops are all found in the Waikiki area.

12.     Watch surfers at the North Shore.

13.     Dole Pineapple Plantation.

14.     Ala Moana Mall has Nordstrom, Neiman's, Macys and free parking.

15.     Ko Olina resorts, luau, and lagoons.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

So many great options! Thanks, clebert! I wish I could say I'd be heading there sometime soon.. but I can't.  Oh well, there's always next year.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

do you know what level this hotel is at for points

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links