11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2015 6:49 AM by donethat RSS

No Points When Booking via a Room Block @ a Conference

tomba11 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Quick Question:

So, I have an upcoming booking for 4 nights in DC and b/c I booked through the conference (A cheaper rate) I am told that I cannot obtain Marriott Points for those 4 nights. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for any help and if there is a workaround Id love to hear it.

Cheers

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No Points When Booking via a Room Block @ a Conference
    Jsucool76 Gold

Sounds about right to me.

Usually the one hosting the conference/event gets however many points is the maximum (Which i think is 50k) and no one else gets. That is part of how they keep the room rates lower for conf rates.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

The workaround is don't book through the conference and pay the higher rate.

Meeting organizer gets all the points. You get a discounted rate.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

JJohn once again busts the game! Simply put the conference organiser gets the points when you book via them.

THe simple rule is that you need to book direct with Marriott to get your points.

You never get points when booked via an online consolidator such as expedia, you should get points of being booked via your companies travel dept, assuming they don't use a consolidator, you also can get the points when booking through bespoke agents, who typically don't compete on price, but on personal service. Even so, the only way to be sure you'll get your points is book direct with Marriott.

takingthehighroad Member

It depends on how the organizers have set up the conference with Marriott Group Sales.  In the last couple of months I attended two large conferences (one in Nashville, TN at the Gaylord with over 1600 rooms booked, the other at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country with over 600 rooms booked), booked through the conference website (which connected directly to Marriott's website as the reservation showed up in my account almost immediately), paid the conference rate, and received the appropriate points for my stay after each conference.  The points did post a little slow.

takingthehighroad Member

From MR T&Cs:

If the Member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays the hotel directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive Points and elite night credits for the stay. However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis and master-billed rooms are not eligible to earn points or elite night credit. Military rates at certain overseas locations are subject to local restrictions and may be ineligible for points or elite night credit.

Note that the T&Cs above make no mention about how the room is booked.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great Insider insight here!

It does sound correct.  But if you'd like, tomba11, I can take a deeper look into this for you, to make sure.  Just send me a private message with some more details surrounding the booking. 

tomba11 Platinum

Cara, yes, if you could provide feedback on the "inside scoop" that would be great

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I have always received points when booking through a room block.  The key as Jerry above mentioned is you need to pay yourself to earn.  Takingthehighroad, gives the correct distinction.  Have a great meeting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...