23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2015 5:47 PM by iahflyr RSS

Winter Getaway Destination

lisago Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for a hot, sunny, tropical destination in January to escape the mid-west winter weather.  Any suggestions? - ocean, pool, beautiful facility a must; some nightlife options a plus.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Carribean
island
  • Re: Winter Getaway Destination
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi lisago,

Southwest Florida if you want to remain within the lower 48 is a wonderful spot to visit in January if you can get past all the snow birds who flock to the area.....oh wait you'd be one of them!!!

Actually Marco Island Hotels | Marco Island Marriott is a splendid place and has all of what you are seeking short of a very active night life, but I'm sure with a little digging you can find some great spots near the resort on Marco.  Marco Island is a quick 45-50 minute drive south on I-75 from Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) so easy to find as well.

There are also a few lovely Marriott spots in Naples as well and then you have Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel/Captiva Islands, but none of the last three areas will have a Marriott property yet outstanding beaches.

Then you have the Caribbean!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lisago Platinum

Thank you for the feedback.  Traveling from Indiana -- I want to make sure it's really nice and WARM.  I'm a little concerned the temps may be a little lower than what we are looking for.  Went to Key West first week of 2015 and experienced unusually sunny warm weather.  Thanks again for the response

I won't tell you a fib, but Southwest Florida (Ft. Myers, Naples & Marco Island) you will find hi 70's to low-mid 80's in January and quite often will be the warmest spot in the nation.  Now for the fib part, if there is a cold front that pushes that far south then you may be upper 60's low 70's for a couple of days.

The Caribbean in January has fabulous weather as we were in the BVI in January and it was 85 every day.  Great Marriott Property BVI Luxury Villas | Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection and while you will have excellent weather you won't find the beaches as you step out your door, but day trips around to Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island and other islands will give you some of if not the best beaches in the Western Hemisphere.

Of course then you can always look into Mexico.  The Best Resorts in Cancun, Mexico | JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is an outstanding spot with fine beaches and also right next door is the Best Hotels in Cancun, Mexico | CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort which is not quite as high end and speaking of higher end then there is the Hotels in Cancun Mexico – Luxury Cancun Hotels | The Ritz-Carlton.

I was in Puerto Vallarta the first week of December last year and the weather was outstanding as well with highs in the mid to upper 80's.  The Puerto Vallarta Hotels | CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta is another first class joint, but without the sugar white sand of Southwest Florida, Cancun or the Caribbean.  One thing you'll enjoy at any spot in Mexico will be the night life......deep into the night!

lisago Platinum

So many options.  Many friends that often spend spring break (March/April) in Florida seem to experience great weather or rainy overcast / cool weather during their one week vacation.  Don't really want to risk that.  I'm a little afraid of Mexico :/  Been to Cancun once, without incident, but not sure.  Thanks so much for the feedback!

I had the same reservations about Mexico as well until last December when a group of five of us went to Puerto Vallarta for a golf event and stayed in Marina Vallarta.  Went back again in August with my wife and neither time did I feel unsafe at all and my same for my wife which is amazing.  Now granted we didn't go wandering around at night other than to make the short five minute walk from the Marina itself back to our room, but without any issues.

Another one of the golf guys took his wife down there for their honeymoon and went all over the city, not any issues either and highly recommended a few spots to have drinks and eat downtown in the Malecon area.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

We just got back from the CasaMagna Marriott in Puerto Vallarta, and we feel safer there, than in any large city you can name in the US. Seven years in a row at this wonderful Marriott, and never feel the least bit insecure about our surroundings.  You can take taxis everywhere, but we ride the local busses and over the years, we have ventured farther and farther away. Puerto Vallarta takes it's safety of it's tourists seriously, and I will keep going back there over and over. Private Message me if you want a lot of tips for this area

Tim

lisago Platinum

Puerto Vallarta is sounding very inviting!!!  Might be edging out Aruba.  Need to check on the cost of flights.  Thank you !!!

The PV CasaMagna is a wonderful hotel and I look forward to my golfing return next month.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

We're in the Seattle area and usually use the travel voucher Alaska Airlines has for $106 for an additional traveler. We even have 2 cards so we get 2 vouchers to use every year. Tickets for 2 this way, using the voucher, usually run in the $600-750 range total for the 2 fo us, for roundtrip from Seattle. We try to get non-stop, especially on the return trip to clear customs in Seattle.

BIG TIP: If you have a smart phone, make sure you download the free app called Mobile Pass. You fill out all your information for your passport, and as soon as you touch down in Seattle, you transit the request for the airline you came in on, and we got a confirmation scan code in under a minute. Now when you go to customs, you don't get in the line where the hundreds of people are going through the Kiosk Entry machines, because if you start that too, your Mobile Pass can't be used. Instead you will see you get to go through the same lines that the airline crew goes through. The line says above it for Airline Crew and Mobile Pass. People look at you as you sail by, trying to figure out how you did it. After you pick up your checked bags, you will again see the same expedited exit for Airline Crew and Mobile Pass. Saved SO much time! When you download the app, you will several other big cities have started adopting Mobile Pass too.

lisago Platinum

Thanks for the info on the app.  There are soooo many apps out there, good to know that the Mobile Pass is a good one when traveling with passports!  Thank you!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Aruba it is always nice

lisago Platinum

Never been to Aruba.....That is certainly on the list.  I just want to make sure we have sunny warm/hot weather!

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I have stayed in Aruba at the end of January beginning of February and the weather was outstanding, although windy.  They also had a wonderful Carnival celebration and parade in downtown although I understand this date changes because of lent.  If you can find out when it will be, I highly recommend going to the parade.  It was wonderful to see the people of Aruba dressed up and celebrating life.  There was so much joy and energy.  Also, Aruba has some of the best restaurants in the Carribean.

lisago Platinum

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Wouldn't it be great if the vacation worked out to be during the Carnival time!!  Thank you!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Why fight the cold when you can enjoy it?  Try skiing!  Downhill skiing is far more fun than basking in the sun and cross country skiing will leave you, at the end of the day, feeling fantastic.  In addition, cross country burns so many calories that it's almost impossible to gain weight, no matter how much you eat, on your vacation.

So, as an alternative to the beach, I suggest that you look at Marriott hotels in Vail CO, or Park City Utah, or the Rits in Beaver Creek, or the Residence Inn at Mont Tremblant, Quebec

lisago Platinum

I love Colorado.... especially in the summer!  I enjoy the beautiful snow and all it has to offer frequently during the winter from my mid-western home.  Thanks for the suggestion!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread! The Marco Island Marriott is one of my favorites!

Even though it isn't too cold here in the North East, I'm dreaming of warmer weather.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Like IAHFLYR, I am a big fan of the Marco Island Marriott.  In January it should be 75 and sunny.  The beach is fantastic.  The hotel is truly a resort and much nicer than you'd expect for the Marriott brand (it's more like a JW, and they are actually in the process of re-branding it as a JW).  We also have stayed at the RC in Naples which is wonderful but expensive and the RC in Ft. Lauderdale which is also wonderful but in an urban setting so less resort-like but also less expensive.  I prefer the Gulf Side of FL to the Atlantic side as the beaches are nicer, it's usually warmer, and the sunsets are amazing.  For Caribbean, we tried St. Kitts and truly loved it.  The Marriott resort is wonderful and the beach is excellent. 

lisago Platinum

Thanks for sharing!  Marco Island sounds wonderful....never been. I haven't spent much time in Florida, but Marco Island sounds like the place to go!

Yep, Marco is wonderful and let us know what you decide on.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

My wife and I have gone to St.Thomas the past 2 years but decided to do something slightly different for 2016 - we will be going to the Autograph Collection Resort on Scrub Island.  We are really looking forward to the trip and escaping those cold winter days and nights of February in New England.

lisago Platinum

Sounds wonderful!!

NE Traveling Man, another excellent relaxing spot you'll love.  Great to see another headed to Scrub Island. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...