5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2015 4:36 PM by randomname RSS

Hotel Problems: Who's side has Marriott taken?

bullzeye Member
Currently Being Moderated

Problems are always going to occur.  Most of the time things are fine, but when they go wrong it seems they go very wrong.I like to resolve things with the hotel if there is an issue, but that doesn't always happen.  Sometimes there has been a need to call customer care.  However, out of all the conversations with Marriott customer care the continued response is "we won't override the hotels".

I dont see a point in having customer service if the response is always that they side with the hotel - the guest is wrong,  I know Best Western took care of things when I had an issue that wasn't resolved by the gm.  I haven't had dealings with any more hotel chains to compare.  I used to think that Marriott took exceptional care of their guests and rewards members, but after recent experience, I certainly don't hold that opinion.

I'm wondering how many other people have had hotel issues, called Marriott customer care, and received no resolution.  Maybe it's just unique to me?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Problems: Who's side has Marriott taken?
    traveldreamer Platinum

bullzeye, Unfortunately your situation is not unique.  I spent four months on travel this summer to DC.  Three of those months in various Marriott Hotels, depending on location of meetings.  I have been a loyal Marriott customer for decades and finally was able to achieve platinum status this year.  Yet, when I had a major problem that didn't matter at all.    I found bedbugs in my room at the Key Bridge Marriott.  Not knowing if that's what I'd really found I put it in a Ziploc bag and called down to the GM.   The maintenance worker who came up confirmed that yes, it was indeed a bedbug.  As upset as I was over that, the GM took care of everything.  Moved my room, had my clothes cleaned as the bedbug was found on my clothes from the dresser.  The next day returning from work I'm walking into the hotel lobby and the front desk assistant and manager who were facing the door as I walked up turned away from me as I walked in.  I was so insulted.  Needless to say I was a wreck and super vigilant in my new room.  Prior to retiring that night I found a tiny bedbug under the pillow.  I'd had it.  I called down to the GM (different from the previous day) and told him I needed a new hotel.  At 10:00pm I'm clearing out my room, changing hotels, the GM obtained a  taxi for me, and had my clothes cleaned.  I received a call from the hotel about a week later telling me that the situation never occurred and that if I found bedbugs than I'd brought them with me.  They said they had brought in an outside cleaning service to check for bugs and nothing had been found.  They failed to mention that a team of 3 hotel maintenance workers tried to come in even before I departed to clear out the room.  Since then the hotel has sent me multiple letters denying anything occurred.  Clearly they were looking to get rid of me.  I have sent emails and called customer service because the same hotel has charged me for parking when it was included in one of my rooms(family wedding weekend) and has not credited me with the Marriott Rewards points I earned (I'm still waiting).  I had finally had it.  My last month in DC I switched to Hilton brand hotels, I have closed my Marriott Credit Card and I'm liquidating my hundreds of thousands of Marriott points.  I have never been so frustrated with a customer service before.  Marriott failed me.  They allowed the hotel to manage the customer service and the hotel is trying to hide the fact they have a bedbug problem.    Very poorly done Marriot!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fistuk Platinum

Hi bullzeye,

Have you read my article about how to do things the mart way? If you haven't you can find it here:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/166751#166751

Please refer to the section of 'Don't hesitate to complain' and also read the 'Summary' section.

I'm sure you'll find some useful tips in there!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds like a very frustrating experience, traveldreamer!! If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to bring this to the appropriate teams attention.  Could you send me a private message with your Rewards Number and property details as to where this incident took place? 

I see that you are new around here, welcome to the Insiders Community.  I know you are pretty frustrated with Marriott right now, but this is a great forum to discuss your travel experiences with travelers like yourself. While some of the experiences are unpleasant, others are pretty exciting and it's a great place to grow your bucket list.  My name is Cara, and I am one of the moderators here, along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help!

Looking forward to hearing from you.  And again, Welcome!

traveldreamer Platinum

Hi Carat, I've tried to send you a direct message but I'm not positive it's gone through.  Can you verify?  Thanks, Traveldreamer.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

There is certainly a wide range of responses from hotel to hotel in how well they deal with complaints. I would imagine this is partially due to the fact that a large number of Marriott hotels are not actually owned by Marriott.  They're privately owned/managed by independent companies who pay a fee to Marriott to use their name ... franchises.

This means there may be a pretty distant relationship between the GM at a specific hotel (one of several owned by the same management group) at folks at Marriott, at least when it comes to dealing with a specific complaint (versus a trend in complaints).

Perhaps I'm wrong and someone can let us know how the process works (or is supposed to work).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...