9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2010 9:41 AM by babydoc RSS

Lounge issues

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What is the purpose of the Concierge Lounge at most non-resort full-service Marriotts?

• Is is a place to relax and unwind?

• A place seen as exclusively for the most loyal Marriott stayers?

• A place to dine and drink in a more formal setting, allowing interaction among guests, as well as being alone?

• A sanctuary from the hectic road warrior world?

• A perk that we've earned and use as we please?

• Or, a place for the family to gather before work or play?

As you can see from this list the Lounge cannot be all things to all people.  Setting aside what the Lounges have become for a moment, can we focus on what they should be in the future?

Many of you will recall the airline clubs of the past (I am dating myself here) like the Senator's Club Lounge at Lufthansa or the Clipper Club at Pan Am?  Quiet, exclusive places where you could be alone or meet with someone in a private setting, free from distraction. Membership and guests were tightly controlled, drinks were free, attendants well-skilled and discrete. Gone with the wind, sadly.

Do we want that to be the case in our Concierge Lounges?  Is it even possible to get there? How can we balance the needs of every guest and still reach a golden mean on this? Or is that a faint hope?

So, please take a moment and tell all us Insiders what you'd like a Concierge Lounge to be, assuming you had the power to change it.  Just wondering?

• Re: Lounge issues
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

For me it is a place just to relax at the end of the day before I head to my room.

Likewise, a place just to get a coffee in the morning prior to leaving the hotel.

Thanks for asking for the information.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks Jerry, that is often my MO on busy days as well.

Happy Holidays!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pltnmprincess Platinum

For me, I am not comfortable eating in restaurants alone, so I use the lounge to grab some breakfast in the morning and a snack in the evening.  If my room is on the same floor, I will take the food back to my room and eat there.  (Wow, this is painting me as quite the anti-social, isnt it??)

All I ask is that the food/beverages are there (that they havent run out and continuously replenished) and that there is a place to sit (if I dont happen to eat in my room).  Sometimes these 2 things are difficult to come by.

I was in the lounge at the JW in Kuala Lumpur this year.  I arrived 40 minutes before the food service was supposed to end and they had run out of food with no intention of getting any more.  I was basically told I was out of luck by the staffers until a savvy manager sensed my confounded reaction and offered to order me something from the room service menu - no charge.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi SteppingStones -- Great questions!  You're right in that the c-lounge can't be all things to all people, but I'd have to answer Yes X 6 as I have used the lounge for each of these purposes depending on the reason for my travel, who I was with, particular mood at the time and so on.  Granted, the lounges aren't what they used to be, but it's still a huge perk for me to continue to stay with Marriott, as it seems to be for many other posters on Insiders.  I just hope that the decline in food offerings, service level by the lounge attendant, and allowing access to other than gold and platinum MR members, don't result in the lounge following the path of Pan-Am.  But, there are some Marriotts I stay in where it wouldn't surprise me to see the lounge close, not due to utilization by the guests, but because of lack of involvement and interest of hotel management.  Conversely, there are still some great ones out there as well!

tjcnewyork Platinum

My expectations of the Concierge Lounge include most of what's been said with a priority on delivering extended hospitality. 

This means that the staff is not only welcoming and personable, they are knowledgeable.  A concierge who is 'well connected' and able to 'deliver' reservations for the best dining or tickets to the event du jour effortlessly is the ideal and likely the exception.

Given the world is very diverse, the concierge lounge could be a 'place' to jumpstart my experience from healthy comfort foods and beverages to tasteful design and decor respectful of the location to pointers about business customs and social expectations.

IMO, a cookie-cutter or one-size fits all staff and lounge is a starting point, not the destination.

klaus29 Silver

my answer is to simple ,possible?

when i book in the jw marriott bangkok i will  find

a very nice louge no alkoholique beverage all day

and from 17.30 to 20.30 i get whisky. beer.  wine 

all what i like schure for free

when i book in the jw marriotts phuket i get nathing

yes the  smile from the owner but he dont open a lounge.

you can be a very loyale customer but this change

nathing here, in phuket, everybady is so happy

why the owner open a lounge ? buisness is buisness

result  after 7 days stay in phuket with 2 persones

your bill will be  about 40 prozent  more hight  at in bangkok.

for  this simple reason i like hotels with a concierge lounge

-- Edited by KLAUS29 at 12/19/2009 4:45 AM PST

ambassador Platinum

I really like getting away from all the noise and having the concierge lounge as a more peaceful and intimate setting.  It's like being part of an exclusive club...special snacks, other road warriors who appreciate a nice place to kick back.

Thanks for asking.

drewtipton Gold

Hmm... the concierge lounges in Marriott properties... what do I use them for?  It all depends on where I'm at...

in the US properties, I don't use them for that much, because they're usually not that high a quality.  Sometimes I'll grab breakfast or snacks in them..  and drinks (especially if I get in at an odd hour and can't hit a grocery store on my way in).  I have also had the experience of going into a lounge as early as 30 minutes after the start of 'hors d'oeuvres', only to find the lounge full of kids and no food left.  I think a lot of folks use them as places to park kids.

There are only a few US concierge lounges that I appreciate... the one at the Marriott Anchorage Downtown is actually a pretty good one--and helped us out greatly in recommending restaurants.  

Overseas/outside the country?  Dramatically different.  The lounges in Prague, Heidelberg, and Stuttgart are great for Breakfast and a light Dinner....  Internet access?  WiFi is nice, but don't count on being able to use the machines in any of those locations...  Drinks are generally free in the non-domestic US ones as well...  In fact, if I remember correctly, the one in Prague was no children allowed without a parent--and supervision of the children was required.

The lounge in Heidelberg in particular is a great place--lots of business discussions go on there... they keep it well stocked, and the attendants USUALLY know what's going on around the town, and can help out.

babydoc Platinum

I agree with your premise that the lounge can not be everything for everybody.  However, I think it should be open to the members 24 hours a day.  

It frustrates me to get to the hotel with my family and I have work or want to watch TV and the family goes to bed and the lounge closed Friday at 5 PM.  I understand that the lounge is mostly for business patrons and the food service is open only during the week, but I think the lounge should be open all hours.

The Marriott Southern Hills is open on the weekends and they offer Starbucks coffee to their members.  I really appreciate this because not all concierge members stay during the week.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...