11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2015 7:03 PM by ramoneur RSS

Tired of being hoo-dooed

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Went to make a Marriott reservation.  Price quotes was $114/night.  Thought I'd try the old-folks discount and it cut it to $97.  But just before confirming it I noted the $97 only applied to the first night, and 2nd & 3rd were $118.

I know Marriott is well known for revenue maximization, but I'm tired of the bait & switch tactics in room pricing presentation.  So I booked another hotel chain instead.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tired of being hoo-dooed
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

That is common among all hotel chains. Prices vary by day of the week and they vary around holidays, high or low season, etc. I'd guess about 90% of the time I book a 1-2 week stay the prices change during the stay.

By that I mean that when I get the quote there are different prices. They don't change the price once the stay has begun.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

This is quite common.  On an upcoming trip I have 4 multi night stays in a hotel. The first for 4 nights in Paris has a different rate every night.  The second stay is in Rouen, and again the rate changes every day.  The third and fourth stays in Nice and Aix-en-Provence are each 3 nights paying the same rate each night.  (in other words six nights out of ten I am paying a different rate than I had on the previous night for the same room.)

There is no bait and switch here.  Sometimes the rate goes up and sometimes it goes down.  I don't really regard this as a big problem, but the large print on the display tells me the rate for the first night and then says "This rate changes to (new rate) on day of change).  I would prefer, somewhat, if the big display gave me the average rate for the entire stay. 

johnboat Gold

I tried to book a Thanksgiving weekend today to visit my grand kids in San Carlos. If I used the senior rate, my total would have been $800, but if I used the standard rate, it was $600. I still don't quite understand why. The senior rate looked lower because the first two nights were $15 less. The senior rate went up to $229/night on the weekend, but the standard (weekend) rate was $119. I'm a young senior, but if my mother had booked this they would have gotten her for the extra $200. Did someone mention that Hyatt and SPG were merging?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Welcome to Insiders, johnboat!  This is a great forum to talk about all things travel, from experiences and recommendations to insights on the Rewards Program. I'm carat and I moderate this community along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us. I've included a link to our 'Getting Started Guide' just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your post, that is very confusing.  However, room rates tend to change frequently, based on factors such as day of the week, time of year, and events going on in the area.  At any rate, it can still be a little frustrating when making an extended stay.  If there is anything I can help clarify for you, please let me know.

Again, Welcome to Insiders! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have complained for a long time about the difficulty in booking special rates.  With some other chains you check off which rates you wish to see and they all come up at once.  With Marriott you select the rate that you want and either write down the rates, by day, or do a <Print Screen>.  Next, you repeat the process for another rate, and continue until you have looked at all possible rates,  Then you make your selection and it might mean using the Senior rate one day and then the AAA for the next two days.  Of course, each ate change requires a separate reservation.  On a trip to Boston a few years ago, I had three reservations because the Federal Govt rate was not available on the 6th day of a 7 day trip.  As a result, I had 1 reservation (Federal Govt rate) for the first 5 days, then some other rate for day 6, and the Federal rate for day 7.  It was a rather cumbersome process. 

With some patience, you can minimize your traveling cost, but it would be nicer if you could combine these rates into 1 reservation.

I worked in IT for 45 years and believe me, Marriott could use some help in redesigning their Reservation System.   

ramoneur Platinum

I have actually done this;

it takes work, but yes it works;

chopping up a 5 weeks stay in:

- special weekend prices for the weekends

- 5 days stay for long term discount rate

- cuisine special rate

and, last but not least, switch to the corporate rate when a day/date really has no cheaper rate

but it takes a lot of time, but if you like puzzles... ;-)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

A "young senior". I like that. I'll use it in the future myself. Thanks.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

A junior Senior.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I've seen this many times where the day-1 rate is different than the for example the day-5 rate. Sometimes it's higher and sometimes it's lower. The booking site usually mentions something to effect of "rate change on_____" so it gives one a heads-up. That being said it's easy to miss a rate change if your not really expecting it...

JD

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I've seen this many times where the day-1 rate is different than the for example the day-5 rate. Sometimes it's higher and sometimes it's lower. The booking site usually mentions something to effect of "rate change on_____" so it gives one a heads-up. That being said it's easy to miss a rate change if your not really expecting it...

JD

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Sometimes you can book 2 separate stays at the same property and you will get a different rate or rates.  I've done this in DC to avoid what you just described above...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...