2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2015 1:08 PM by mikedean441 RSS

My attempt at Platinum--Newb question

mikedean441 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone,

Long time Marriott customer but did not really focus on points, etc until this year.  I signed up for the Credit card and was fortunate enough to setup a few events for a golf company which has earned me elite nights.

So here is where I stand:

Nights Detail

0 nights needed to renew Gold Elite level

11 nights needed to achieve Platinum level

• Nights stayed15
  • Bonus nights49
    • Promotional:0
    • Rewards Credit Card:19
    • Rewarding Events:30
    • 2014 rollover:0
  • 2015 total64

So a few questions:

1.  If I do nothing for the rest of this year, then in 2016 I will be gold status right?  And My 15 nights for having the credit card will hit next year and then do I get 14 rollover nights for being >50?

2.  I REALLY want to make it to Platinum but my travel will not allow that to happen by December (stupid me thought I had til Feb since that is when I got the credit card).  Id love to be able to say I can get the 11 nights by spending $33K on the card but there is 0 chance of that happening.

So, Im assuming being within 11 wont get me a generous nudge into platinum right?  I do have an event planned at the end of Jan that would get me the 11 I need, but guess it will be too late?  If so, could I "buy" the 11 nights to get me where I need to be?  I looked online but most of the "buying" were for people that had already achieved a certain level and wanted to keep it.

Sorry for the lengthy post, great site!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My attempt at Platinum--Newb question
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

mikedean441,

Here's a quick attempt to answer your questions.

1. If you do nothing for the rest of the year, you will be Gold for 2016 and rollover 14 nights to start the year. You'll get the 15 credit card nights in Feb so that will essentially put you 29 nights toward retaining Gold or achieving Platinum in 2016.

2. To reach Platinum this year, you will need to find those 11 nights somehow. If you could move your January event into this year (or plan a different one before the end of 2015) and stay one additional night, you'll make it. There is no way to "buy" your way to the next status. If you had been Platinum this year and failed to renew you would get the chance to "buy back" your status for 40,000 points.

You'll have to decide whether you want to rollover the 14 nights or try to rack up 11 nights between now and Dec 31.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My attempt at Platinum--Newb question
      mikedean441 Gold

Thank you for the clarification and quick response, wish I could move this darn event up dangit.  Oh well worse case I'll have a running start at making a run at it next year. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...