25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2015 10:43 AM by misterchk RSS

WHAT AFFECT WILL THE POSSIBLE MERGER OF HYATT AND STARWOOD HAVE ON YOUR LOYALTY

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS MORNING THAT STARWOOD AND

HYATT ARE IN MERGER TALKS.  HOW WILL THIS AFFECT 

COMPETITION IN THE INDUSTRY AND YOUR LOYALTIES AS A

FREQUENT TRAVELER?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT AFFECT WILL THE POSSIBLE MERGER OF HYATT AND STARWOOD HAVE ON YOUR LOYALTY
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Unsure how it will affect competition in the industry -- I assume it would lessen it -- but as to my loyalties: not one iota.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT AFFECT WILL THE POSSIBLE MERGER OF HYATT AND STARWOOD HAVE ON YOUR LOYALTY
      bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Same here. The only hotel loyalty program I use is Marriott Rewards. I travel enough to make one useful but not enough to make having two or more viable.

Consolidation in the airline industry certainly hasn't helped travelers. Seems reasonable to think the same would be true in the hotel industry.

It would be nice to think that a combined Hyatt/Starwood would make Marriott more eager to retain loyal customers and offer more benefits for our loyalty. More likely, we'll see an increased focus on the bottom line. That's never good for loyalty programs.

Jsucool76 Gold

I've been talking about this a bit on other forums too. I'm excited to see what could happen, but I feel that this merger (and the possibility of a rewards program merger) would result in a ridiculous amount of elite members, and eventually a devaluation of elite benefits. Both Starwood and Hyatt really only have 2 elite levels. Gold and platinum, and platinum and diamond respectively. There is no middle ground for anyone, and both of the low tiers offer essentially nothing in the way of actual benefits.

In my opinion you would end up with an extremely top heavy elite pool and I feel like upgrades would slowly diminish, and lounge access would handed out like candy (kind of like the United /Marriott deal.)

I also touched on the fact that amex recently added hilton Gold as a benefit to the amex Platinum card. Maybe because they knew the spg gold would soon be gone because of a merger.

The biggest hit however would be to the spg airline program. Spg is currently the only hotel program (that I know of) that allows 1:1 transfers, up to a 1:1.25 transfer ratio (when transferring 20k points)

The loss of that would be a huge hit to many in the points and loyalty game.

drpepper Platinum

The merger would not change my loyalty to Marriott, but I am concerned about what it would do to competition in the industry.  Could this mean cost increases in the future?  Too early to tell, but it is concerning.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

As a guest, this does not make any impression on me.  I am not a big fan of either Starwood or Hyatt and the combined operation would have no additional appeal for me.

On the other hand, as a consumer, I fear that this consolidation could raise costs somewhat.  I believe that the Federal Government has become far too lenient regarding mergers during the past two decades.  Cable, airlines, and so many other industries have been able to raise prices way too easily.  I'm not overly concerned about this one merger having such an effect on the hospitality industry, but were this the beginning of a trend, I'd become concerned.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Hyatt was the first hotel loyalty program I belonged to. Great hotels, but I haven't used them in a couple of decades. I joined Starwood because I was spending a lot of time at a Westin in Bangladesh (no Marriott). Hotel was great. Rewards program wasn't.

I'm lazy and loyal. And by that I mean as long as I'm getting treated decently by my regular provider (hotel, plane, phone, cable, you name it) I'm too lazy to go to the effort of looking up other brands.

**** me off and I get energized.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

To me, mergers always mean higher prices.  However, in this case, Hyatt does not have that many hotels and Starwood is small compared to Marriott and Hilton, so maybe not too bad on prices.  Hyatt already sold their timeshares so maybe they are in trouble.  I mostly stay at either Marriotts or Hiltons. Lately Hilton has been treating be the best so I have been moving more in that direction.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Iit's not going to make any difference to me as both these groups barely try in the UK. SPG is somewhat better in the EU but almost all my EU stays are leisure. I earn my points in UK hotels on business stays, and need good nationwide coverage, neither Hyatt nor SPG provides that, and they're no better together. I would love to see either take over IHG and introduce either the GP or SPG  program to IHG hotels, but I guess thats not likely to happen now...

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Marriott has always been my number one choice and will remain so.  I don't think I would  mind a merger between Hyatt and Starwood.  I have a rewards account with both brands and average about 1-2 nights a year with both programs.  A combined rewards program could mean that I would have a better chance of  accumulating enough points for a free stay that I may not otherwise have.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Not much!

blava007 Platinum

This is what Limited competition can do to us!   Note, the taxes alone are almost $ 500.00 for a 3 night stay! Act locally think globally!

ScreenHunter_820 Oct. 31 19.50.jpg

ramoneur Platinum

polypoly --> oligopoly --> confusopoly --> monopoly

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

So now Starwood has announced that's it's bringing its "Design Hotels" brand into the fold of earning and burning SPG. In a stroke that dramatically increases Starwoods UK presence whilst simultaneously increasing the average price of a UK Starwood property.

ramoneur Platinum

btw

shouldn't the word effect have been used iso affect?

Platinum 28 Reviews

ramoneur

(LOL)  I would like to point out that I hold a BA and MA in Political Science not English!

Actually had a professor scribble on an examination "blue book" during my undergraduate years (do they still use those) "Misterchk, you are very fortunate that this isn't the English department!!

(BTW - Not to brag, but I also have a Phd in procrastination)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...