4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2015 12:17 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Security concern for valuables

m-hotel-traveller Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This week I am at a Marriott property and saw something rather disturbing.  Here's what happens:

About 10 am the first maid comes to room to re-stock towels and empty trash,  She leaves the entrance door unlocked (opened with security latch blocking full door closure).  She does this to all the rooms on the floor.

Second house maid comes by 5 hours later to do final cleaning of bathroom, make bed, vacuum, etc.   Meanwhile, my hotel room has been unlocked for most of the day and I would think that would make any valuables left in the room (extra computer, tablet, etc) vulnerable to theft. 

Yikes! I thought when I leave the hotel room in the morning that my room door would remain closed for the whole day except when cleaning maid is in room.  I didn't think they would leave everyone's room unlocked and open to outsiders.

This can't be good hotel and hospitality management practice??

Yes, I should sit down and have a thoughtful, thorough and engaging conversation with the hotel manager about this issue..... but wait, I actually work when I travel and my time is limited.   However, for the sake of all Marriott guests, I should probably address this issue..   I doubt this is the only property that does this.... but at least now I know  (and feel a little less secure).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Security concern for valuables
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

This is concerning.  Can you send me a private message with property details of where you experienced this?  I'd like to inform our team of this. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yet another reason to keep your room tidy and tell the Front Desk and Housekeeping Supervisor that you only want towels refreshed each day.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I am continually surprised at full service properties that haven't installed in-room safes.

A few years ago they were rare now the absence of one stands out!

You would think that local laws that have used hotel tax as a revenue center has not mandated their installation in all rooms.

Jsucool76 Gold

There are a lot of hotels around the world that do this, in all brands, and it is a huge concern.

The best housekeeping (in this sense) that I've seen was at the köln Marriott. If the door was left open while a housekeeper was in the room (which was only one room at a time) A sign was attached to the front of the door that said "housekeeping is currently cleaning this room, upon entering you will be asked to present your room key or ID."or something along those lines.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...