12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2015 11:38 AM by ramoneur RSS

HAVE YOU RECEIVED COMPENSATION FOR A GUARANTEE NOT PROVIDED

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

HAVE YOU OR ANY MEMBER YOU KNOW EVER RECEIVED COMPENSATION FOR THE MANY GUARANTEES THAT ARE LISTED AS PLATINUM PERKS?

How many times have you attempted to secure a reservation far in advance of the 48 hour deadline, been refused, and asked for compensation?

Have you ever arrived at a property with a category room guaranteed and it wasn't available and you asked for compensatory penalties.

How many times have you arrived at a property with a guarantee of specific bedding ( two or one etc) and it wasn't available and compensation was due per MR agreement.

We find ourselves in a contractual agreement with MR.  The above incidents are experienced constantly and I have never heard of anyone receiving what the contract calls for.

Anxious for comments and experiences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: HAVE YOU RECEIVED COMPENSATION FOR A GUARANTEE NOT PROVIDED
    rdemena Platinum

I only know of one person that ever was in need of the compensation.  He called for a room, was guaranteed by the desk, reservation was made had all the records.  When he arrived, the rooms were not available as the large group was there for a sporting event and had not evacuated the volume of rooms they required to fill some of the reservations.  Fortunately he was put up in another Marriott property not too far away.  They made concessions to either stay at the other location or return the next day after the rooms came available.

Personally, as a platinum member, I have never been denied a room.  I have been able to even call ahead 24 hours and get a confirmed room without issue when the property is listed as sold out.  Doesnt necessarily mean they don't charge a fortune. But hey, bank the cost on the Marriott Rewards Card and double down on your points production.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

rdemena

Just a short note to welcome you to the group.  It's always an important aspect of these on going dialogs  to welcome additional opinions and insights.

Although I am the resident "big mouth obnoxious member"  please accept my apologies in advance for much of the nonsense I post. 

Now and then  (okay, rarely) I come up with something important to say.  This subject I think is important as it seems to be camouflage disguised as a perk for elites.

MC

bullzeye Member

Never been done. Unfortunately, When I have asked for compensation per the terms and conditions has it never been awarded.  I have been in arguments with the properties and Marriott International.  Several weeks ago a hotel was full and refused to honor a reservation.  Notta.  Nothing. I'm still fighting to receive that compensation. (They should have paid my nights stay elsewhere + $100 cash)

Additionally, I requested a benefit because the lounge was closed and they didn't offer me breakfast or points. ($100 cash) Again, same issue.

My experience is that Marriott International does not make the hotels comply and lets them do what they want.

Some airlines have a baggage guarante. I've had an easier time dealing with both Delta and Alaska, than I have with Marriott.

ndn Platinum

bullzeye, I am a bit confused about your comment. It says here that your elite level is "member." Do you have another account perhaps that you used for the reservation? You only get the guarantee if you have elite status.

bullzeye Member

This account is currently a messy work in progress.  I was gold at the time.  I'm sure you will see it pop to silver and then gold within the next couple months after I finalize everything with Marriott. 

The one thing I have learned in this process is that Marriott gives their GMs authority and will not go against them.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have received compensation 2 times in 12 years:

1. Chicago, 2012, JW Marriott fails to give me or offer me platinum bonus. Upon checkout, I took out my phone and asked FD clerk to tell me if they had recorded my plat bonus (500 points). I am told yes, asked that FD clerk to acknowledge name and that I was recording this. I wasn't doing it to set anyone up, just was fed up with property not giving me what Marriott promises. I then called GM of hotel after my stay posted, [played the recording, at which point he admitted they had not honored guarantee and sent me a Marriott gift card for $100. I only did this as due to 5 prior stays, I had asked for the points, never received them ,had to Marriott in SLC, USA and the they posted it for me, and Marriott HQ refused to provide me comp as they said it was a property issue, I should take it up with them, hence my open and acknowledged recording to prove it.

2. Renaissance TS, NYC, 2015 - arrive at hotel guaranteed rez in hand at midnight. FD tells me, so sorry, no rooms, checkouts didn't occur as expected, so they walked me for a free night at Marriott at TS. They gave me the points and cash required under the guarantee as I had them dead to rights and they knew they had no choice.

I can tell you its an uphill battle to get any property to honor the "guarantee", so I have resorted to proving the issue as a way to show the property they aren't being faithful to my loyalty to Marriott.

Good luck on your quest. Its like a Man of Lamancha, will you just tilt at windmills or realize the impossible (dream of Marriott honoring the contractual guarantee)

Platinum 28 Reviews

stelzer001

To continue the reference:  You and I are both "Men of La Mancha

Thanks for the info - Once again this is a prime example of why we need a representative to communicate with Marriott. 

Our community managers that work day in and day out to communicate our seem to be preaching to deaf ears.

Thanks again.

MC

ramoneur Platinum

NO.

BUT HAVEN'T RUN INTO PRECONDITIONS FOR THIS SITUATION YET.

(thank you for reading my yelling)

Platinum 28 Reviews

ramoneur

Neither have I - their (MR) system has mechanisms built in to make it difficult.

I had a situation about 2 years ago where a hotel I JUST HAD TO STAY AT was full.  As I had a two week lead time I called Platinum reservations and requested space under the 48 hours "rule" - (NOTE:  I had stayed at this property numerous times before at rates ranging from 105 - 290) - I was told "no problem" we can reserve a room for you at 490 per night (the official price posited in the room as the max rate) - THERE IS THE CAVEAT!  Marriott lived up to their guarantee - but placed me in a position where I had to make alternate arrangements.

Consequently I did not claim the compensation!!!!

ramoneur Platinum

there are always caveats;

study some of the pieces of law that every cop can use just to take you off of the streets if he wants to;

sure, you will hear "sorry, we were wrong" in the end

or hit a brick wall

or something

but that is what it is

being compensated by a corporation, is never about the compensation

it is about minimizing collateral damage, maximizing future profits, etc.

it is what it is

show me one set of conditions that does not favor the conditions-maker

Platinum 28 Reviews

Obviously I can't show you - why, these guarantees are not really a true bi-lateral contract - they all word it in a way that it is almost impossible to collect!!

Reminds me of a friend that sold insurance - he always joked that he could lower my premiums significantly if I would agree to a "CLAIMS EXCLUSION CLAUSE" where I would agree never to make a claim!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...