5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2015 1:29 PM by pluto77 RSS

Alaska and Delta To End Lounge Privelages

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Looks like the Seattle war with Alaska and Delta is getting even more interesting.  pluto77 have you seen this yet?

'Battle for Seattle’ between Delta, Alaska Airlines is fueling huge growth | Alaska Dispatch News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seattle, Washington, USA
  • Re: Alaska and Delta To End Lounge Privelages
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

No, thanks for the heads up! 

This is a little bit of good new/little bit of bad news scenario, but really, it depends on the flyer.  Fare wars are always welcome, but I think that at the end of the day, if you're an AS FF, you'll likely stick with AS and if Delta, the same.  SEA isn't my home port, but if it were, I can't really see myself shifting to Delta for the same route for a few pennies less, if there is no code share.  One of the great things about AS is that they have partnerships with so many airlines, both domestic and foreign.  If Delta wants to threaten it's partnership with AS, I think they'll be on the losing end of that decision, because AS will still have partnerships with a nice sized stack of carriers, including AA.  If Delta dumps their partnership with AS altogether, there could be some repercussions, depending on Seattlite FF patterns (if they fly domestic routes that both AS and DL will now be offering AND fly DL to Asia, DL might become more attractive, but otherwise, I think AS will remain the dominant carrier at SEA).  One strategy that DL might use to it's advantage would be to put newer, shinier planes with a nicer 1st class product on domestic 3.5+ hour routes to/from SEA, since AS only flies 737's with a - yawn - 1st class product (I haven't kept up with DL's aircraft orders or fleet improvement strategies).  It depends on how important Delta sees the Seattle market.  Another item to look at is the elite flyer lounges.  I don't know how good the DL lounges are at SEA, but I can say that the AS lounges - even at it's home airport no less, are nothing to write home about!  But also judging from a DL lounge I visited in ATL (domestic terminal), the DL lounge probably isn't anything remarkable at SEA either.

I didn't read anything about what your title mentions, though.  Unless I missed something.  Do you mean that both airlines are not offering lounge reciprocity?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I know I would be disappointed if things reached the point where I could no longer earn AS mileage on DL. I've been a long time AS FF back to the days when SEA was my home airport. Now based out of CMH, I have essentially 4 choices. AA, DL, UA, and WN. As a member of both AS and UA programs, I choose not to fly WN. Of the others, I like DL best. They have a nice offering with their comfort+ program and often the price is good. If it gets to the point where I can no longer earn DL miles on AS, I'll probably switch most of my flights to AA and UA. I'm not thrilled with the earning potential on UA. At least with AA, I can still earn actual miles flown toward AS. DL has a formula based on fare class code ranging from 25% to 200%. About the only reason I fly UA is the reciprocal Marriott agreement which gives me Silver status. As primarily a coach flier, the change to a revenue based earning model essentially killed their program for me.

As for the lounge access, since I don't use the lounges, no being able to use those isn't a dealbreaker.

It does seem like only a matter of time before the DL/AS partnership unravels completely. At that time, I guess I will stop flying DL. I'll be disappointed, but I don't fly enough to be a member of even the two programs I have now. Adding a third one isn't going to happen.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The way I read it is that both airlines are pulling their lounge reciprocity (huge word) on Jan. 1, 2016. 

While most lounges of U.S. carriers are nothing more than an overcrowded place to get a free glass of rot gut adult beverage, having the luxury of the simple ability to leave the general passenger area for a bit is huge when it is available. 

In SEA I know AS will win as they are what the loyalists will stick with, so do what you need to do AS and keep the faith.

I just checked.  The AS website indeed states that effective January 1, 2016: Board room members will no longer have access to the Delta Sky Club network.

One of the things that I LOVE about SEA, just the same as SAN, is that it is a manageably sized airport with lots of great routes.  In my experience, it's easy to get in and out of both airports, and they offer some nice international routes as well.  I would hate to see SEA turn into an SFO or an LAX!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...