15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2015 2:33 PM by *lucky1* RSS

Road Trip

*lucky1* Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Thinking about taking road trip to Northern Alabama area, any suggestions of towns and sights to visit? Never went to Alabama and want to know some ideas.. Thanks  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Road Trip
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

would for sure go to Huntsville . Nice space center

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

*lucky1* Silver

I Was reading about that a little bit sounds like a nice place to visit. I like to see stuff like that just went to caterpillar museum in Peoria Ilinois like to look at interesting places. Thanks Jerryl.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

While I'm not very familiar with Alabama, I've actually never been, I went and did some online digging.  Surprisingly, there isn't much in this community about Alabama, other than Mobile.  I've found this pretty stellar list that has lots of good road trips through Alabama.  Hopefully you find it helpful.

Alabama's Official Travel Guide - Alabama.Travel - Local Tips for Your Alabama Vacation

Let me know what you think.

*lucky1* Silver

Wow thanks Carat! I will have alot of reading and research to keep me busy. Looks like a great site to do my homework of finding information. I truly thank you and appreciate the time you took to find me some information!            

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

You're very welcome, lucky1 !! I was intrigued as I have never been to the area and wanted to see what I could find out.  So I guess I should be thanking you for opening my eyes!! Do keep us updated on your road trip!

*lucky1* Silver

Will do! But not going until Christmas. Heading down that way to visit daughter and want to check it out because have never been in that state. Like to plan out travel ahead of time. Thanks again...

*lucky1* Silver

I Have never been there and wanted to research to have a good trip!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Stick with Huntsville. I've been all across northern Alabama. Not much sticks in my memory.Some of the scenery is pretty in the NE around Scottsboro. Florence (NW Alabama) is nice (home of WC Handy). It's right across the river from Muscle Shoals and Tuscumbia (home of Helen Keller). A lot depends on your interests.

As for Marriott locations, I didn't care for the CY in Decatur, but the FFI in Oxford was great (especially considering it's only a category 1 property). If you get down as far south as Montgomery, consider staying at the Prattville Marriott. Very nice property.

One other thing to think about in northern Alabama is the possibility of driving part of the Natchez Trace Parkway. It cuts through the NW corner of the state as it winds from Nashville to Natchez. Scenic drive, for sure.

Hope you get some good suggestions.

*lucky1* Silver

Thank you bejacob  appreciate your information and am thinking of areas you suggested. I will research and know with the help of you and Carat where I am sure to enjoy my travels... Thanks for taking the time to help me.             

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Having stayed at The RI and Marriott in Huntsville, both are very nice properties!

One of the finest places to dine is downtown Huntsville at "Cotton Row"!

*lucky1* Silver

Thanks jerrycoin will have to check it out...

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

lucky1 I would recommend Florence, Alabama - quaint little town, home of University North Alabama. 

I wrote about our trip there two Memorial Days ago - A Swing Through the South and an off the beaten path Category 5

*lucky1* Silver

Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip! I think we will checkout all these great locations everyone is sharing with me, Florence, Huntsville etc......

Thanks to all. Looks like I will be having a great road trip...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

North Alabama has many interesting sites to visit, but perhaps Huntsville, with its Space & Rocket Center and Redstone Arsenal, is perhaps the most popular town. However, if you're driving toward Memphis on Hwy 72 Alt, you might stop by the Helen Keller Birthplace, south of Florence. SE of Huntsville is Lake Guntersville, and the state park, east of the lake, is a wonderful place for camping, fishing, boating and overnight/weekend stays for family, or group retreats.

Birmingham, more in the center of the state, and the capitol city, and Tuscaloosa, with the University of Alabama ("Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant" country), might be a interesting visit, especially for "Crimson Tide" fans. And, if you're heading west from there, just outside the city, on Hwy 82, along the Black Warrior River, is the Cypress Inn, a delightful place for lunch.

Peggy - Cypress Inn IMG00326[1].jpg

*lucky1* Silver

Great information, nice picture also!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...