12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2015 9:21 AM by misterchk RSS

PPE Rate?

home2marriott Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So now that I know the LPE doesn't mean anything unless I stop traveling or switch brands, I have a question.  I did inquire in the email about the possibility of them extending a special corporate code for PPE's.  Any comments?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: PPE Rate?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Plat Premier, eh?

Congrats on the achievement, no doubt you might question that when you get home and the kids cry when they find mummy kissing a strange man, while the dog strains at the leash to get away from his new walker. But "worry ye not", for Marriott rewards your extraordinary commitment to their hotels with a card that when produced with $5 will get you a Starbucks coffee at any Courtyard across the US.

Except there's no card!

Enjoy the empty vessel that is PP. Maybe once they mint the card they might think of something you can do with it, besides break-ins. Reckon you'll grow old waiting for the card though!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

...is everything ok with you, bob?

(I am starting to worry)

LOL!

To be honest, I've watched Marriott vacillate with PP over the years, introducing it, giving some real benefits, worthwhile discount on restaurant, annual gifts. Then taking them away, then not even bothering to tell those that make it they have. If I was corporate I'd be embarrassed at the way it's been handled.

You'd think that having singled out these super-spenders it would be to laud them with special treatment, something like IHG does with its Royal Ambassadors, double upgrades, suite upgrades, free minibar, but, no. Nothing. Nowt. Nada. Well except bragging rights, I guess...

And I say this as someone who never has and never will accumulate the stays or spend the cash to make either PP or IHGs RA

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob  How can you state you will never qualify for PP .  As far as I know the criteria for attaining that level is either not known by anyone alive or is the best kept secret since the Coke Syrup recipe!!

misterchk

I can safely say I'll never make PP! If for no other reason than I'm faithless! Marriotts my main hotel chain though by no means my only one, I'm Spire at IHG (yeah, I know, stoopid name!) and can be found at the occasional Best Western, Premier Inn, Radisson, Accor, Forte and independent. I dare say if I (at great inconvenience) concentrated all my stays at Marriotts I *might* make it, but really, why???

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

"but really why"?  Brings the discussion into perspective.  There doesn't seem to be any special perks or recognition.

One day and we are dead and forgotten they might stop talking about (non-existent) benefits of PP.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Having achieved LTP about five years ago, there is no incentive to be a MR loyalist to earn my annual PP status (175+ Marriott paid nights per year is what I was exceeding for 10+ years). As brightlybob suggests and I concur, PP offers nothing beyond a P status (or the equivalent LTP status) so why bust my behind putting all my nights into a status that is no different from one I cannot ever lose (unless they change the rules). If there were REAL benefits to PP (guaranteed suite on points), I might come back to MR. In the meantime, HH and SPG have seen nearly 450 paid nights since my last Marriott paid stay in Jan 2013.

Disclaimer - yes, MR points are slower to earn and carry more value (based on prior analysis I've done), but HH points seem to have more flexibility in how to use them, with guaranteed suites on points being one.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

If I had LTP I would go to SPG and become Platinum with them. I really like the Westin and W brands. Sheraton properties can be hit or miss from reviews I read and things I hear but haven't had a bad Sheraton stay yet either.

Platinum 28 Reviews

CUDOS pingreeman

Your post couldn't have explained it more clearly - LP status, basically, is a license for those who have achieved the status, to LOOK ELSEWHERE.  (Can't believe that Marriott awards those loyalist with a status that motivates going elsewhere)

We (all of us "posters") have been posting opinions on what should be done with the LP status.  Opinions and ideas that we know, for the most part, will be unheard by those that can make changes.

Consequently, through the "fog", it has become clear that those of us LP's may now, without the risk of maintaining our status, experience other chains.

I'm not that smart (I talk allot to hide it) so I thank those that have "pounded" this into my mind - and it finally got through.

Now - you guys that have been "cheating on Marriott" must suggest to me what brand should be my first "target" to join (Hilton, Hyatt or ????).

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

misterchk - I am glad I could explain the LOOK ELSEWHERE motive.

One sidebar that also worked in my favor - I had enough MR points banked that I did not need any more, one more reason to move on and look elsewhere.

Having earned nearly 6.6M MR points over the years, I could never spend them as fast as I earned them. Knowing I was about to leave MR and with 3.6M+ points banked, in late 2011, I cashed in 2M points under the cash voucher program (MR did away with it). With $20K in cash equivalents, I paid for most of 2012 "on points" while my client saw an expense report looking like "cash" while also earning points because I paid with "cash."

By burning up those points, I assured myself of not losing value as what happened almost yearly with changes in point redemption levels or categories on the rise. Never-the-less, I still had 2M points banked when I switched to HH. I have since burned all but 800K having used those points for my wife's visits to see her grandson in CA.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pingreeman

Another "home run" mon ami!

With all the benefits MR bestows, the most important item is POINTS!  ONE CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY POINTS!  Marriott has made the use of points flexible enough to suit most. 

You have have obviously been judicious  in your use and received the best conversion.

As I type this I am watching the news on a 42" LED TV - sure I overpaid if you converted the points (theoretical or real) value - but the points WERE THERE and not being used!

That is the bottom line!   Thanks for the reminder.

Platinum 28 Reviews

An idea which will be ignored by "You Know Who".....................so we can file this under 'AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN"

Why not give :LP's some type of "privileged status" when staying at a Ritz Carlton.

A week doesn't go by where I don't receive email ads from MR urging me to try the 'RC" experience.  I never take them up on their offer of a "free cup of coffee etc" but, if I was assured of "club level perks" I would give it a try.

This perk could (and should) be awarded to those that have achieved :LP status.  AND would be a little or no cost to RC.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...