37 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2015 5:32 PM by drpepper RSS

When did your love for Marriott Properties begin?

prius_for_life Silver
Currently Being Moderated

For me personally, I was introduced to Marriott properties when I was younger thanks to my father. He was a Medical Device Contractor (Engineer), and so as a result he frequently stayed at Marriott properties, and he became quite fond of them. As a result of this frequent staying at the properties he eventually became a lifetime platinum elite member. Unfortunately, he passed away in April, but my love for Marriott properties lives on. During one of his job stints, we decided to tag along with him, and we ended up staying in a Townplace Suites for over a year with him! This is where the love for Marriott began. For me only being 20, I have high hopes of becoming a lifetime platinum elite member sometime in my life. I am currently a Marriott Rewards Credit Card Holder, and I use it for all my purchases...it is essentially the only credit card I use. In the past year or so, between stays and points i've been able to accumlate 20,000 points toward lifetime status so far. Granted it isn't that much, but it's a good start.

So tell me, when did your love for Marriott properties begin?

Do you stay at Marriott properties exclusively, or do you try to stay at Marriott branded properties as much as possible?

Why do you love Marriott so much?

I look forward to everyone's responses.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Atlanta Marriott Marquis
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
  • Re: When did your love for Marriott Properties begin?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

What a wonderful thread, prius_for_life!  My love for Marriott's began with my father as well.  He was a traveling fool and would take us with him whenever he got the chance.  I've pretty much always stayed in Marriott's and will continue to do so. 

I also see your new to the Insiders Community... Welcome!! This is a great place to share your travel experiences and recommendations.  It is also a great place to hear what other members like yourself have to say.  I'm carat, and I'm one of the moderators here along with lindseyh, deannad, and joshm.  If you ever have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of us.

I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you, and to what the other Insiders have to say about this topic!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great thread.

For me it began when booking to attend grandparent-in-laws funeral a dozen of so years ago. Our usual hotel in Portsmouth was full, so, looking elsewhere I found the Portsmouth Marriott quite cheap. And that was it. The Portsmouth Marriott became my hotel of choice when visiting the in-laws, and when my business travelling increased, after the briefest of flings with Hilton (on a colleagues recommendation) and finding them distinctly dumpy for the money, I recalled my excellent Portsmouth stays and chose the Marriott in Bexleyheath. Another excellent stay there led Marriott to become my go-to chain for work and after joining Marriott Rewards, leisure too.

And I haven't looked back since.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Great Question

Within a 60 day period in 2001  (Including September 11 where we found ourselves "stranded" on the Island of Kauai) we found ourselves deeply "immersed" in the Marriott Corporation.

September 4, 2001 - Check in for an 8 day stay at the Marriott Kauai Hotel (Lihue)

September  7, 2001 - Purchased (under contruction) a time share at Waiohai, Poipu Beach, Kauai

October 2, 2001 -  My mother moved into a Marriott assisted living facility

a few weeks later I received my Marriott credit card in the mail

A few million points later I find myself as a  lifetime Platinum and currently Premier.

Life goes on.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Almost 2 years ago when i stayed at my first Marriott hotel. I was impressed by the hotel facilities and costumer service. Since then ive accumulated around 317,000 points with stays and credit card bonuses and purchases. I try to stay at any Marriott branded as long as it fits my budget and needs.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I'd have to say September 1985, when we went with another couple for a 4-night stay at the newly opened Atlanta Marriott Marquis. Back in those days, the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West '\/\/' along with the Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Astros, and Reds. Fernando Valenzuela and the Dodgers were in town for a 5-game series, and we attended all 5 games. (The Bravos avoided a 5-game sweep by winning the 5th game.)

1280px-Marriott-marquis-down.jpg

But the MM certainly alleviated the pain of losing 4 out of 5.

Location Brand Hotel
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Atlanta Marriott Marquis
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It was in a previous life for the honeymoon in 1990.  We went to the brand new CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun and have been hooked ever since except when there are no Marriott properties within a reasonable distance of the location we need.  Shame on you Marriott for not having hotels all over the place.

Now Lifetime Platinum and a nice stash of points!!

Location Brand Hotel
    Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My love for Marriott preceded my love for their hotels.  In 1963 I moved to Washington DC and took an efficiency apartment in Rosslyn, VA.  One of the first restaurants I ate in was called the Sirloin and Saddle.  It was at the old Key Bridge Marriott, a two story motel.  It was a nice moderately priced steak house and I enjoyed it.  There was another restaurant there called the Fairfield Inn which was more reasonably priced.  About a mile up the road was the first Hot Shoppe I ever saw.  It was a drive in which featured burgers, fried chicken, fries, and a few unique items including the Mighty Mo, Teen Twist, and others.

The Key Bridge Marriott has been replaced by a high rise hotel.  My daughter was married there, in a room with a spectacular view of Washington, DC.

The Hot Shoppe chain is long gone. 

In 1966 I bought stock in Marriott Hot Shoppes, which evolved into today's Marriott.  Later that year I stayed in the Key Bridge Marriott, on my wedding night, so I have a fiftieth anniversary coming up next June and  on the same day a fiftieth with Marriott Hotels.

I joined Marriott's "Honored Guest" program in 1990 and should be Lifetime Platinum less than two years from now.

It's been a long and happy relationship with Marriott and even longer than (but not as good as) my relationship with my wife.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

That's some really great history, phctourist.  Congratulation too on a long and great marriage.  That's awesome.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

for me I initially used Hyatt as I had to go to Korea a lot and stayed at the Regency. But I think I started to stay at the Marriott's  in Virginia and once I got more status and got to gold and earned the concierge privileges I stayed with them

Thanks pluto77.  BTW retirement is great.  I've been at it for 11 years and have travelled about 43 nights each year.  I've also received my first grandchild (a 4 yr old girl) during that time.  This truly is the best period of my life!

*lucky1* Silver

Years ago started to travel to auctions and to look at resale shops. I booked a hotel online near Indianapolis when we got there it was not at all how I thought it would be. It was later in the evening and I told my husband there is no way I was staying there.We drove until I seen a Marriott and said lets stop there. We paid alot for that night but was just glad to have a clean nice place to stay. I love there beds and sleep so well we have always had a great room when I book with Marriott. I do stay at a couple different brand hotels if no Marriott is in the area but will look for a Marriott first...

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

The long gone Marriott Motor Hotel in Bala Cynwyd PA.  Circa late 70's.  My first real Marriot experience in the summer of '79.  Great Polynesian restaurant.  Tiki-11.jpg

The Bala Cynwood Marriott was one of the first three Marriott hotels.  The 14th Street Bridge Marriott was the first and the next two were Key Bridge and Bala Cynwood, though I don't know which was 2nd and which was 3rd.  Key Bridge is the only surviving location of the first three, though the 2 story building has been replaced by a high rise. I remember,around 1967 or 68, receiving a shareholder communication detailing JW Marriott's plan to have more than a thousand hotels.  Being the skeptic, I laughed and almost thought about selling my stock because those plans were so unrealistic.

I also remember Bill Marriott, in a Forbes interview, saying that his father had once told him that if Marriott was ever as big as Howard Johnsons he would consider himself a success.  Bill Marriott made that statement as part of an interview dealing with Marriott's purchase of HoJo.

I remember the Kona Kai, and I often wonder what happened to Polynesian restaurants.  I know they were not authentic presentations of the area's cuisine, but I always enjoyed them.  Does anybody know of any good Polynesian restaurants around the Washington, DC area?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

"Love" is a rather strong word. I started staying at Marriott properties when I got a significant promotion at work so I no longer needed to stay in El Cheapo Inn and Breakfast. There was a JW a block from where I normally stayed in Bangkok so I tried it. Service was (and still is) great.

I have stayed in Westins and Hiltons quite a bit, but only when there isn't a Marriott around (Dhaka, Bangladesh or West Perth, for examples). But since Marriott treated me well and I wanted to gain "status" I stayed primarily at Marriott properties.

My "love" for Marriott is based on one thing and one thing only. I get good service. Always. I've spent at least 3,000 nights in Marriott properties and can count the number of problems I've had on 1 hand. I'm fickle. Treat me well and I'll stay. Treat me poorly and.... Let's just say I was Solitaire on Singapore Air Lines for 14 years. I was Gold on Delta for 4 years. I don't fly either any more. I still stay at Marriott and now I'm Lifetime Platinum.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I got hooked on Marriott in the mid 90's.  I used to drive down to Roanoke, VA on some weekends and stay at a Full Service Marriott property (now a Sheraton).  After one or two stays I signed up for the Marriott Rewards program and have been loyal to Marriott ever since.  I'm currently Lifetime Gold and should make Lifetime Platinum within the next 1-2 years.  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm a relatively latecomer to the party despite having one or two Marriott stays dating back to 1989. While I joined MR in early 2011 during a business trip, my travel didn't ramp up until the end of 2012. A couple months later, I signed up for the MR credit card.

Over the last 3 years, I've tried 11 Marriott brands and visited over 100 different properties in 30 states (plus D.C. England, and Canada). Lifetime status (even Silver) is still a little ways off (almost have the nights, but not the points) but with Platinum status renewed for another year, that's not an issue.

I really cemented my loyalty to Marriott when I joined this community in mid-2013.

superchief1 Platinum

I first stayed at the Marriott Indianapolis East in the late 70's at the inception of the Marquis frequent Guest program. I think I signed up the first week of the program (in addition to the Courtyard program when it started shortly thereafter)  and have been staying at Marriott's ever since. After joining the program, I was usually greeted by name and was never 'walked' at a Marriott property. While attending a conference at the Marriott World Center in Orlando, I purchased my first MVC timeshare at Royal Palms. I now own five weeks plus VC points, so my family is accustomed to staying at Marriott properties, although I no longer stay at Courtyards.

Marriott was the first hotel chain to recognize the value of loyal customers as well as employees. I recall that employees were often rewarded base on customer comments and ratings for the hotels.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My wife and I had our wedding reception at the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott in 2012. My wife's two older sisters did as well. The wedding coordinator "Jeanne" was awesome. The meetings with her were professional, all our requests were completed, and the reception went off without a hitch. The cost was reasonable as far as wedding receptions go especially when compared to New Jersey wedding costs. The property completely renovated all their ballrooms and conference rooms the same year we were married and it was fantastic. Since 2012, combine our positive experience with the wedding reception, several stays to visit family, many other Marriott properties in the U.S., and the MegaBonus promos, and that's why I am a Marriott fan.

superchief1 Platinum

I had forgotten that we had our wedding reception at the Marriott in Cincinnati on Chester Rd 35 years ago. Time flies when you are having fun. I've found that Marriott always has had excellent banquet food quality and service over the years, including recent experiences at the Marriott in Dublin. OH and JW in Austin.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Great Q, prius_for_life (and kudos on the name - I'm driving my second Prius, and, after a decade+ of Prius cult membership, well)....  Anyway, for me

• like many folks who live (or have lived) in the DC area, my oldest Marriott memories are from the massive Sunday brunch at the then-iconic, but now long-gone Twin Bridges Marriott;
    • I first started accumulating points (and building brand loyalty to Marriott) in the 1980's while doing some work in Portland, Maine and staying at the Marriott at Sable Oaks (where - and this was important - the staff acknowledged that we were frequent guests and treated us well and made us feel special - that was my first experience along those lines). 
    • Back then, the Marriott loyalty program was quite different - see, for example (from the Insider archives: Poll: Long-Time MR Blast From the Past? | Marriott Rewards® Insiders or (pics of the old Marriott Marquis Luggage Tags, now super-hot collector's items, OK, maybe not) https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1019...

You might also find this thread interesting: Like 1994....The First Marriott Stay | Marriott Rewards® Insiders

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A Prius really!!  Noting against the screen name, but they gave me one of those things in SFO early this year and it made me crazy.....not that is such a task at all.....it just drove so weird that I almost drove it off a cliff on purpose!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Be nice  IAH, the young man is only in his 20's - he has not yet acquired the experience we have for reality and cynicism!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm on my 2nd Honda Insight aka the Prius for Honda lovers. Hybrids rule! Now that I'm accustomed to getting 50 mpg, it's hard to imagine going back to owning a 30 mpg "gas guzzler." My latest rental had a microscopic gas tank and despite getting decent mpg, I had to refuel every 200 miles. Not fun on a county collecting day in Texas that tops 600 miles.

I'm laughing about IAHFLYR being driven crazy. For him, it's not a long drive. It's a short putt.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I've driven a Prius (will always call it a PRY-us, thanks to BBC's Wheeler Dealer and Top Gear) a couple of times.  I really like them.  The silence does take some getting used to.  "Is it on?  Is it off?  Do I need to start it again? "  The start button (sans ignition key) has also taken some getting used to.  I love the gas mileage!

I sat in a Tesla recently.  Really nice.  But now they (dealer) won't leave me alone.

For piling on to the hijack, I suppose I owe "PRY-us-for-life" my "love" story, or more truthfully a "loyalty" story.

My folks bought into MVCI Newport Coast somewhere around 2004, and somehow instantly ended up with a few hundred thousand MR points.  At that time, my lifelong dream of going to France was still unrealized.  My step-dad and my husband don't do "the big city life",  so my mom rang me up and the planning began.  We went to France and Italy in 2005, using her points in Paris and Rome and on American Airlines.  It was an amazing trip.  I decided I needed to get in on this Marriott Rewards thing.  We've been Paris five times since, as well as many other places.  I think Marriott has played a part in every single trip.  It's been a really good ride.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

When many years ago we walked into a Vacation Club apartment at Cypress Harbour and were just blown away. We were sold on Marriott but didn't but for a few years until we could afford MVCI and finally bought in Aruba and so joined MR and have never looked back. In fact, sad to say, it has become one of my hobbies!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I started going to an annual conference at the World Center in Orlando, and a colleague told me to sign up for MR.  I did, and the rest is history!

brooklynlobster Silver

Like allot of Marriott members I was hooked at a young age  so it was just natural to love Marriott's

zunilily46 Platinum

I remember it fondly. January 1985 I elected to stay at the Marriott at the Houston Medical Center because of it's location to Methodist Hospital. My mother had just died 12 months earlier and I was there for my dad as he had just had a heart attack and was having a heart valve replaced. Everyday I would pass by the front desk and look at the Marriott Rewards brochure. I took one to the room and decided this is a "No Brainer" and signed up. Thought to myself wow, after this 14 day trip I can take a real trip. Well that's how is started. A little after four years I had enough points for 4 airline tickets anywhere in the world, a week in a Marriott hotel, and rental cars. This all for 300,000 points. Now that was a deal in 1989/1990. Had a year to use it and we went to France. Then later gave the 2 remaining tickets to my dad and he and his new girlfriend went to Australia…a trip that was the best either had ever had(any they traveled a lot)! Keep up the good work Marriott.

*lucky1* Silver

Guess the good Lord was steering you in the right direction when passing the front desk. Even though you were having trying times he helped you through it...

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Joined MRI in Nov. of 1983, and it has been a wonderful "Ride"!

Left HI in Charleston, WV to stay at a brand new Marriott, and have never looked back!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Fell in love with Marriott when I fell out of love with Holiday Inn about 14 years ago.  I've always enjoyed road trips (have driven cross country 5 times!) and used to stay at Holiday Inn Expresses.  A few bad properties and I decided to try a Marriott property.  Haven't looked back since!

Platinum 28 Reviews

UPDATE TO ANSWER I POSTED EARLIER

I've been staring at the title of this discussion and felt that I must add another comment. 

I don't believe I ever acquired a "Love" for Marriott.  For that matter any hotel chain.

I stay at Marriott's when travelling for the same reason I fly certain airlines or for that matter go to the same car wash where they punch a card and the 10th wash is free.

My relationship, which has become mutually beneficial, is a relationship of trade offs - : "Marriott says stay at my place and you will receive special treatment" - that's what it "boils down to".  If one of us doesn't live up to our end of the bargain the "friends with benefits" partnership will end.

fistuk Platinum

I fell in love with Marriott about 5-6 years ago, when my wife and me were still friends and we booked a weekend in Budapest, Hungary.

Through a 3rd party (another website) I managed to get a low rate in the Budapest Marriott hotel, which is located on the Danube river, and the experience was fantastic:

Back then it was still allowed to smoke indoors in Hungary, and having my cigars in the hotel lobby was amazing! Especially when it was snowing outside and when I ordered their speciality teas to drink along with the cigar!! I guess the experience can't be described properly by words... you just had to try that (if you smoke cigars).

The hotel itself, disregarding my smoking pleasure, is an excellent one location and service wise. So I just went to the front desk and asked to join the club. They even agreed to credit my new account with the points for that stay (although they didn't have to)!!!

Since then it's only Marriott for me (unless I don't have any Marriott choices), and I just can't wait for my honeymoon this December in Hawaii! Naturally, only Marriott hotels booked for all islands 

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

I started staying at Marriotts in 1983 when I started a new job that required significant travel.  When we went to the home office, we stayed at the Long Island Marriott in Uniondale.  Over time, more Marriott hotels popped up in the southern states where I did most of my travel.

There was a nice, warm feel to the Marriotts back then as they were owned and run by Marriott.  Over the past several years, unfortunately the warmth and that culture seems to have diminished significantly as they have gone the franchise route. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I also started my long-term relationship with Marriott in 1983. One of my first business trips out of college included tagging along with the CEO of the company (OK, 500 employees so not a really big deal). The CEO insisted in staying at hotels where the room had windows that would open. The one he selected happened to be a Marriott. The rest is history.

drpepper Platinum

My "love" for Marriott actually started from the travelling I was doing for my company in 2004.  From that moment on, I found Marriott hotel brands to be superior to all other chains and got "hooked" to the quality Marriott service.  I am now a PE member and use Marriott for all of my travel needs.  I have two younger kids and as a family, we have travelled all over Europe, England and the U.S.  They have become accustomed to Marriott hotels and always look forward to our next stay.  I have started them young! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...