10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2009 12:31 PM by mikiegfla RSS

TRYING TO KEEP THE GOLD

pastalady Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi - I need your ideas.  I'm 4 nights short of keeping my Gold status, and I'm done traveling for biz this year.  I thought of finding the cheapest Marriott and just booking the rooms without staying, but do you have to stay to get the room nights?  I was also wondering if you can pay Marriott to keep your status.  Any ideas?

• Re: TRYING TO KEEP THE GOLD
    mauisteve Platinum

I have sent a client on a small Christmas getaway and arranged for the hotel to bill my account.  That is also a business expense.  Do you have an Marriott Rewards card?  You can get 10 to 15 nights added depending on the card you can get.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lilred7879 Platinum

Do you have any relatives coming to town for the holidays?

Get them to stay at a Marriott and use your number.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott may, depending on your recent stay history, comp you into Gold for another year.  Have you called Marriott Rewards to ask them what the status is?  Also, in past years it was possible to exchange points to renew, and I know that offer applied to Platinum renewals at the least.  Gold perhaps but I am not sure.

In any event good luck with the new year.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

SteppingStones is correct. On several occasions over the past 10 years I was within 5 to 7 days of reaching the threshhold but didn't quite make it. I called Marriott in Salt Lake City and they gave it to me.

mbiggs Platinum 20 Reviews

I just called Marriott on this as I am Gold but a few nights short of Platinum.  Sometimes they have an end of year promotion where you can use points to buy into the next level however, this is not the case as of today.  Keep checking.

As long as you check in to the hotel and check out you can use these stays toward your annual nights. 

Thoughts on annual nights:  It is a shame they use annual nights versus amount of revenue.  I am always paying premiums as I chose the higher level brands and stay in the major cities whereby the cost is extremely high, yet my status is the same as someone who stays at a Courtyard in third tier cities year round.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

MBiggs,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about prices paid vs. number of nights stayed.  I am currently two nights short of retaining platinum, despite the fact that all but about 4 of my 73 nights were at European hotels where the prices are usually much higher and charged in euros or pounds.

Perhaps Marriott could consider a system similar to that of Delta, where either number of segments flown or total miles count toward elite level. I am way beyond Platinum in total miles, but am not even close on segments.

Since miles aren't involved, it could be number of stays (similar to segments) or level of hotel.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"do you have to stay to get the room nights? "

Absolutely. Quoting paragraph 4 of the Elite Membership Requirements:

"Hotel charges without a personal overnight stay will not earn room night credit toward Elite membership."

Finding the cheapest Marriott and staying 4 nights may be slightly more cost-effective than buy back. In 2009 Marriott offered two ways to Buy Back Your Marriott Rewards Elite Status

Buying 25K points at $12.50 per 1,000 points costs $312. Personally, if time is not an issue, I prefer spending $312 for a holiday road trip between now and NYE at $78 or less per night. A getaway feels like a reward, rather than a reinstatement tax. Consider checking Roomsaver.com for rate deals in/near your area.

nicerinperson Platinum

At one time Marriott extended my timeframe to reach a certain level until Feb. On a couple of occasions in the past they have automatically given me the next higher level just before I actually reached that number of nights.

Since the nights roll over this year, you could stay where you are and roll over 36 nights (the new program they announced) and only be 14 nights from Gold on January 1. That is what I would do and I would also contact CS just after the first of the year. It cannot hurt to ask.

drubin333 Platinum 1 Reviews

They have an unadvertised program where for gold and platinum, if you reach the threshold in a rolling calendar year (any 12 month period, not just jan-dec), you will make the status. So if you have a stay in January, you may make the status.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

If you do check into a hotel and don't stay there keep in mind that getting multiple rooms at the same hotel will not count as two visits toward your elite status. I learned the hard way that they will only credit you with one of the rooms.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...