9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2015 10:35 AM by brooklynlobster RSS

Given a room already occupied - Spring Hill Suites Downtown Chicago

klbinatlanta Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I checked into the Spring Hill Suites Chicago Downtown / River North on September 30, 2015.  A one night stay.  I use the key, go into the room, start unpacking.  Use the restroom - and look over and see a man's ring, a phone charging....and I freak out.

I then take in my surroundings a little better.  Set of man's shoes beside the desk.  Suitcase on the floor - all neat.  I would not have known anyone was in the room - except for these items.  We gave you wrong room......yeah....right.

WHAT IF there had been someone in the bathroom?

WHAT IF this has turned out badly.

I have had this happen to me before in the early 2000's in San Diego.

Management did not do anything other than move me.

I asked for the room to be comped - nope - we cannot do that.  I asked for points - and was offered 1000.  Come on.

Let's think about the man that had the room I was allowed to enter.  He would be very upset to know someone other than hotel staff had been in his room.

Never heard a thing since from hotel management. 

I travel 150+ days a year and expect more of Marriott.

Kat in Atlanta.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Spring Hill Suites Chicago Downtown
  • Re: Given a room already occupied - Spring Hill Suites Downtown Chicago
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Yikes!!   Having worked in hotels in the past, I've heard plenty of horror stories. However, it's always an unpleasant experience when it happens to you!  I'd like to pass this on to our greater team for consideration. Can you send me a private message with your Rewards Number?  That way, together along with our team, we can reach a resolution.  Thanks in advance!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Make sure you get your 1000 points as promised.  I had a situation where the room they gave me wasn't acceptable (someone had taped a plastic bag over the smoke detector and the room smelled of cigarette smoke) and the front desk clerk apologized and said she'd give me 3,000 bonus points.  To this day I never received the points. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

It most definitely shouldn't happen, but it does. This has happened to me twice, once at a non Marriott, once, last year at the Marriott Forest of Arden. I walked into the room, saw bags at the bottom of the bed and beat a hasty retreat. I think the worst of it was the light way the FD dealt with it. Not funny. Not funny at all and I made that VERY clear by asking how secure my room was when there were they likely to give my room away to another guest, with a smile and embarrassed giggle no doubt... No compensation offered or asked for.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Rooms control is not rocket science.  It's easy enough to manage.  Apps - even good ones - are easy enough to write.  Still, mistakes can happen, I suppose, though a mistake like this one should be far and few between.  REALLY far and few between.  Again, rooms control is not rocket science.  What should never happen, is to have to have stumbled into someone else's room at the fault of the hotel, and then be faced with an - yawn - "Oh well" attutude.

If it had been me, I would've seriously considered contacting to room occupant and informing them of what happened, ie. I (a stranger) used their bathroom, then noticed personal belongings, which caused the realization of a gross error on the part of the front desk.  I would've expressed my shock upon the realization of the error and that the front desk took a devil may care attitude, ask them if the hotel had notified them of the incident and perhaps even suggest that we go down in force and confront and conquer.  But then the problem with that approach is that the other guest may possibly assign blame  to me, been suspicious of me, and Lord forbid, accused me of stealing something.  It's a tough situation.  Lots of potential for things to go terribly wrong.  And why hotel management should take it very seriously.

I concur with you that the issue is worth way more than 1,000 points.  It's potentially dangerous at most, disturbing at the least.  Definitely worth a comped night or a like number of points.  For both parties.

We pick and choose our battles.  This is one I would probably choose.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes it has happened to me twice but I don't know how many times someone has gone into one of my rooms

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

And isn't that the scarier part? I often leave my wallet and other valuables on the table in the living room while I take a nap in the next room. Particularly in the afternoon or evening after the room has been cleaned because I know that the staff isn't coming back. What happens if someone gets assigned to my room and walks in, sees that the room is occupied, and decides to make a bit of a profit before he goes back to the front desk to change rooms?

ramoneur Platinum

...well, stealing from an occupied room will not be the smartest thing a thief could do,

especially because he will be suspect #1 when the incident will be logged

(okay, the devil is in the last part; people may want to hide this fact)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

so sorry this happened to you. I have also been given keys to an occupied room, at Marriott's and Hyatts and Starwoods and Hiltons. Funny, never seems to happen at a Motel 6, days inn or Super8. I chalk it up top undertrained and lazy front desk clerks, lack of oversight by local hotel management, and human error. What hotel that does this doesn't know is that if you or the existing occupant are injured, the liability is sky high and they don't have a leg to stand on. Plus, the reputational damage in today's social media world is off the charts. This is why I don't understand why these properties don't take this more seriously, and do a better job to train the people. I posted a rant on this forum about an incident in June at the 5 star Turnberry Isle Marriott .  don't want to re live this, but suffice it to say that they deeply apologized, got a thorough reeducation by me, and wound up offering me future stays, bonus points, free meals. I had my wife and my 2 under 12 kids with me when this occurred, so suffice it to say, the hotel failed on so many levels, it was almost a criminal act. All I can say is find out the owner of the property, its usually a company. call the president of that company, tell them what the ineffective front desk clerk did, and how you were treated. Get the owner's attention and its a whole different ballgame.

brooklynlobster Silver

Yes I happen to me once in London lets just say they were given my room while I was still inside

They we're more embarrassed. Then me. I must say. The hotel took care of it  a gave me 25 percent off my bill

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...