3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2015 5:57 PM by melissaerb RSS

The Tailgate Experience

joshm Member
Currently Being Moderated

There are numerous reasons to fall in love with autumn (see what I did there? ). One of those reasons, and maybe the best part of the fall season in my opinion, is the conglomerate experience that is a spread of delicious food, a cold beer, and a seat to watch my favorite football teams as they return to the gridiron for another season!

There’s a word for the above amazingness: Tailgating!

Most of my tailgating has been spent at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon. Home of the Oregon State Beavers.

OSU.png

The Beavs boast a great tailgate experience. The exterior parking lots are filled with alumni and current students that have reserved spots in which to set up camp. Lots of orange and black, tons of food, and lots of noise! While I attended Oregon State, most football games were played in the morning (10-1PM local time). This never stopped folks from arriving at dawn and lighting the grill to prepare for the day’s game. If the game was played at night, well, the tailgate went all day long!

Grilling.png

From dogs and burgers to chicken, steak, and everything in between, the tailgate spread is absolutely delightful. Accompanying the protein-heavy array of foods are the dips, potato and macaroni salads, slaws, and, of course, about as many different types of chips and crackers that exist.

I have engaged with lots of you regarding sports fandom at many levels (college, professional, varying sports). Now, I have a question and request for you all:

Have a tailgate experience? Who were you rooting for? What did you eat/drink? Do you have tailgate recipes you like to use? Did you take pictures?

WHY NOT!?

I’m kidding; but seriously, I want to know how you folks experience the tailgate. This doesn’t have to be focused on football either, as I’m aware that many of you tailgate for baseball games and events like concerts as well!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United States
  • Re: The Tailgate Experience
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Such a timely post joshm!

This Saturday the 17th is the UCONN Homecoming football game vs. USF and I am SO excited. My dad has gone to every homecoming game since I was in school, and I started in 2007 so that's now 8 years running! Even when it's terrible rainy weather, we still tailgate and although we may not enter the stadium to catch the game, you bet you can find us in the parking lot My dad loves the event and talks about it for weeks leading up to and weeks after. He makes a 9 gallon jug of Jungle Juice (everyone's probably better off not knowing what's in it) and always buys a 6 foot sub sandwich. All our friends bring snacks, beers, items to grill, corn hole boards, footballs to throw around, music, and everything else to make it a good time.

I will add to this post next week after the game, hopefully with more pictures!

Here's a shot from a night game years ago with some of the tailgating crew, I think from my Junior year in 2010. My dad's the big guy in gray

tailgate.jpg

GO HUSKIES!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

At least you're not a Duck. Will I be in trouble if I point out that I'm a Ute?

Sorry about the Duck game 2 weeks ago. (No, I'm not.)

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Oh no, @john_thai - You aren't going to like me! To be fair, I only went to the games in college and haven't followed them since I've been out of school...

quack attack.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...