4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2015 7:20 PM by curiousone RSS

Portland OR Trip

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just finished a Friday – Sunday in Portland, OR and stayed at the Marriott City Center. On check in I requested a corner room and was advised that I had been upgraded to a suite. (I was advised it was a $950 value for the $189 I had paid. According to the web it was a $324 value.) Anyway, I accepted it and since it was 11:30AM and the room was not ready we left our luggage and Mrs. CuriosOne and I went out to reacquaint ourselves with Portland.

I had recently developed a hankering for lox and bagels and was hoping that I could get some while in Portland, the salmon is abundant and local and I was hoping somebody in Portland made bagels. I Googled lox and bagels and saw Kenny and Zukes which was just a 5 minute walk from the hotel. When we stopped in it looked like an east coast deli and they had lox and gravlax in the deli case and they made their own bagels. It looked like I had taken care of my lox and bagel fix. K&Z does their own spin on lox and bagels, not quite what I was hoping for, but it worked.

I remembered from our previous visit that Blue Star donuts was a few blocks away so I decided to see if they were still around. While walking to Blue Star we passed Grassa, which was a casual place that did homemade pasta dishes that looked really tasty. We split the Carbonara Friday night and then went back Saturday night to split the Pork Belly Mac and Cheese. (Yeh, pork belly mac and cheese! Yum.) Blue Star was still there and they became desert after our lox and bagel for lunch, when we would split a donut.

As we wandered around we passed the infamous Voodo donuts that had a long line out the front door at 2PM! (Not a line that I was willing to stand through for a donut) About 2:30PM the front desk called to say our room was ready. After getting the room key I asked about the CL and was advised that it had closed at noon and I would be given breakfast tickets for the full buffet in the restaurant. The buffet also included omelets from the kitchen. I used to regret that I never got to use the CL on my weekend trips, but I have come to realize that the free buffets are a better value than what is offered in most CLs.

I still think Portland has the best value in public transportation: $5 to ride light rail, bus or trolley all day long. We purchased all day passes for Saturday and planned to use them on Saturday afternoon since rain was forecast. We took the bus (Route 19) out to Woodstock (Otto’s Sausages is in Woodstock) because it drives though some high end neighborhoods with really pretty flowers and trees. When I planned the trip I had not thought much about the season, but there were a lot of fall colors going on in Portland (Probably more this week) and we had an unexpected “fall colors” added to our trip!

Walking around the river front we came across Mill Ends Park, the world’s smallest public park at 452 sq. inches. Like the signs say “Keep Portland Weird”!

This was our second trip to Portland (one in the spring of 2013 and then Fall of 2015) I am looking forward to a third trip in the summer time. The staff at Marriott City Center were friendly and I will probably stay there again.

I tried to insert some pictures, but no luck (Computers!)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott City Center
  • Re: Portland OR Trip
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

curiousone, thanks for taking the time to post your weekend experience.  Good information here and glad you had a good time (and three cheers for the suite upgrade!)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

curiousone, thanks for taking the time to post your weekend experience.  Good information here and glad you had a good time (and three cheers for the suite upgrade!)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Otto's is a wonderful spot to get some great sausages and other items even though we are not huge sausage fans, but we still brought some home.  Love PDX so much and can't wait to return.

How was the suite?  I think we've been in the suites there as an upgrade and think they are just about the same size as the corner room yet without the second room.

curiousone Platinum

The suite was OK, basically a living room and a bedroom/bathroom. It was on the 10th floor looking west. I would never pay for a suite since I do not travel to sit in a hotel room. Next time I will push for a corner view. (Although I will only be Gold then)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...