3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2015 10:59 AM by carat RSS

Maximizing MR Credit Card Benefits?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have tips on how to maximize credit card benefits?  I charge whatever I can, including gas, groceries, hotel stays, and airfare.  But is there a way to use credit cards to pay bills and get points?  I know some of you have some great methods for maximizing the amount of miles earned on credit cards.  Most of my big expenses are still paid by checks or transfer of funds from my checking account.  I wish I could charge my mortgage and other bills to get MR points, etc.  Is there a way?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maximizing MR Credit Card Benefits?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

clebert,

You definitely have the right idea about charging everything possible to the MR Credit Card to maximize points.  You may want to review your bills and see if any of them have the option of paying with a credit card.  I'm able to pay my cell phone, cable tv, water bill to my Marriott Visa without a surcharge. 

There is a website bill paying service called "Charge Smart" that will allow you to pay most mortgage companies with a credit card.  However there is a processing fee that you can look up ahead of time.  In most cases the processing fee will cost you more than the value of the reward points you earned from the transaction.  But this maybe a helpful tool if your signed up for a new credit card and trying to reach a spending bonus requirement.

The Marriott Reward Premier Visa is a great tool to help you get to Lifetime Status since you earn an Elite night credit for every 3K spent.  After you reach Lifetime Platinum Status I recommend moving over to the Ritz Carlton Visa Card since you will not need the Elite night Credits anymore and can then utilize the additional 10% annual bonus points on all purchases.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...