24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2017 1:19 PM by williston RSS

LPE is a lower status than PPE?

home2marriott Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a frustrated LPE member.  I recently sent an email to customer care about my frustrations.  I don't understand why the LPE wouldn't be noted on my profile for when I checked into a property.  I was informed through a reply from customer care that my current PPE is considered a higher status than LPE???  Another confusing thing from Marriott.  My complaints had to do with me having to ask for an upgrade and not being to get on the concierge floor.  Oh, and I have been LPE for 3/4 years.  Didn't even know that I was LPE until I called and asked them.  LOL.  You would think that it was a big deal. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: LPE is a lower status than PPE?
    ndn Platinum

While I agree that LPE is a big deal that should ALWAYS be noted, I have to point out why PPE is higher than LPE:

(1) There are more LPEs than PPEs

(2) PPEs generate more CURRENT revenue

Again, I agree though that it should be clear that you are BOTH when you have achieved both.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

home2marriott, I can see why you are frustrated and would like to pass this along to the appropriate team.  Can you send me a private message with the details, dates and property, of the stay you've mentioned above as well as your Rewards Number?  That will help us get to the bottom of the issue.  Thanks in advance.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

One way or another this is based on a pretty common misconception.

The different levels of elite status are:

Silver

Gold

Platinum

Platinum Premier

Silver is the first level requiring only 10 nights per year, Platinum Premier is the highest level as its the top 3% of plats, though I can't tell you top 3% by what, nights, revenue, stays, bra-size?

And the misconception? Lifetime Platinum is NOT a seperate status. It's simply Platinum status which doesn't have to be re-earned annually. So Lifetime Plat doesn't trump PP, in fact it's the opposite. And lifetime plat does not trump platinum, because it IS platinum...

SO the answer to your question is...

YES, platinum (whether lifetime or earned annually) is below PPE!

Platinum 28 Reviews

home2marriott

It is quite interesting that attaining Lifetime Status, for some reason is kept a secret from the recipient!

I also discovered accidentally that I had achieved LT status and a year later AGAIN discovered accidentally that I was promoted to Premier!!!

That said, Premier is definitely a higher category  I have related the story previously about checking in a few months ago at the Essex House in NY and being told that there were numerous Platinum's  in the hotel that night but I (being a Premier) was the only member upgraded to a suite..

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

And I've made the same comment and asked the question (here and on to Marriott Customer Service). Why to they insist on keeping your Lifetime Status a secret from you? Yes, you can find it on line if you look. But all you can find is whether or not you qualify. They don't tell you. I don't get that at all.

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

I received LP about 5 or 6 years ago and at that time I received a note in the mail with a new card that stated the LP status.

Outside of not having to renew each year, I am part of the group that doesn't seem to see or notice a big benefit when it comes to what you receive at check in.

1,100 nights and 3M+ points but not enough or enough spend for PPE for me.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Dear Far East Man East  With the hundreds of comments about the attributes of Life Time Status I am convinced that the only perk is not worrying about renewing the level.

Now, we can open the discussion again on the criteria to become Premier - but it is an exercise in futility!  There is no logic we have been able to come up with.

It is quite possible (maybe probable) that you are entitled to PP more than I am, but for some reason I got it!!!

Consider this:  I am the epitome of obnoxiousness and sarcasm here - I have done my best at getting booted and banned from the site - and what do they do, they make me a PP - WHICH IS SOLID EVIDENCE -      THEY JUST DON'T HAVE ANY DEFINITIVE CRITERIA FOR PP.

tjheath0423 Platinum

well i was going to ask what the criteria was for Premier, but i guess there is none?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi home2marriott,

carat and I heard back from our team and they have broken down your questions as follows:

Marriott Rewards has designated Platinum Premier status as the preeminent Elite level attainable by our members. This prestigious recognition is valid for one year and only the top three percent of all Platinum Elite members earn it.

The opportunity for Platinum Premier status is merited after a comparison of the account activity for each Platinum Elite member from the previous calendar year. Members are apprised of their upgrade in status after our annual system wide update.

In addition to the many benefits of Platinum Elite status, Platinum Premier members have access to a dedicated phone line and e-mail address for assistance with the following services:

*  Booking hotel reservations

*  Booking rewards redemption stays

*  Coordinating partner rewards member may choose

*  Inquiries regarding their Loyalty Rewards account

Please note, once a member achieves Lifetime Elite status, it will not be reflected on the account in our systems until they fail to meet the requirements of an equivalent or higher Elite status. The benefit of the Platinum Lifetime status is that it waives the 75 Elite nights per year.

In terms of your question regarding upgrades, Gold and Platinum members may be upgraded to a better room at the time of check-in.  The type of upgrade will vary depending on the rooms available at check-in.  You may want to contact the hotel prior to your stay or discuss your upgrade options with the front desk at the time of check-in.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I am also a Lifetime Platinum member but it makes perfect sense to me on why PPE is considered a higher status. As you can imagine, there are probably a lot of people who are designated Lifetime Platinum for travel they incurred many years ago. A person who hasn't traveled for 10 years and stayed at Marriott hotel recently, is not as valued as someone who continues to stay XX number of nights a year.  PPE status means that person continues to travel an exorbitant amount every year and is a CURRENT valued and important customer for Marriott because that person continues to stay in Marriott rooms each year increasing Marriott revenue.

By the way, you can see your Lifetime Elite status anytime on the web site simply by clicking on your account overview and then the Lifetime Status link. It will show the total number of nights and points you have earned to date. In addition, if you reached Lifetime Platinum you should have received a card stating this so if your concerned about the hotel clerk not knowing you are Lifetime, just present the card at check-in.

One correction, which actually supports your premise, is that you don't get the card and the "official" status until you fail to qualify on an annual basis. So as long as you have enough nights every year to qualify as Platinum then your Lifetime doesn't kick in. So, by definition, is you carry the Lifetime card that means you're not travelling as much as a regular Platinum. At least not any more.

Given that I could understand how Platinum might be more important to Marriott than Lifetime. I'm one of those in that spot, I have more than enough nights and points for Lifetime but I qualify every year so they won't give me the card.

I feel so sad and left out. 

Actually, that is not true. You get the Lifetime status the minute you qualify with the points and nights and they will send you a card regardless of the fact you may or may not have met the Platinum status for the current year. I made Lifetime last year but I have also made Platinum each year for the last 10 years or so and I received my card and designated status as soon as I made the nights and points for Lifetime status.

If you made the Lifetime criteria (check your status on the web site) then you will receive a card. I can't remember but I it may be that the next annual card you receive will be the Platinum Life card instead of just the Platinum card. I can't remember if they sent the card before the annual period or not but again, you will receive this card regardless of whether your make Platinum for the annual period or not.

I made lifetime several years ago. Still don't have the card. I asked Marriott and they told me what I posted above. As long as you qualify for Platinum each year they don't make you lifetime even if you have qualified for lifetime.

See post from deanad earlier in this thread saying the same thing.

@john_thai I have no idea why the person told you that but that simply is not true. Again, you can go to the website and see if you made Lifetime. If you did, it will show that stutus and you should have received a card. In fact, the last Platinum card you receoved should of said Lifetime. Myself and a few other coworkers have made Lifetime and we all received are cards.

I do see the post from deanad but all I can tell you is I did receive a card last year when I made it and I had over 75 nights last year so not sure why she said that unless it just recently changed.

Sounds like Marriott loves you more than the love me. Still not card for me.

williston Platinum

TThat's not correct. I have been Platinum for many years and LP kicked in a few years ago. I haven't missed the 75 qualityppfying nights for years by my card still says LP.  So it seems that there are some variables at play here.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

taxman193 - thank you for that navigation. The navigation has changed since 2014 as shown:

Lifetime.gifLifetime_15.gif

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

WOW. I would have to stay in a Marriott every night for the next 8 years in order to reach where you are today.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Those numbers are impressive pingreeman, truly a road warrior!

Those are big numbers indeed pingreeman, though all in the past. None this year. So who have you switched to, and why?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

brightlybob - Since reaching LTP there is little incentive to stay with Marriott. PP status rarely got me anything worth while and PP is not that much different from LTP as commonly lamented on MRI. Between 2002-2013, my Marriott loyalty averaged almost 175 PAID nights per year with a peak 228 in 2012 (with bonus and rollovers 363 = 228 paid + 75 roll + 60 visa) yet I could never leverage this loyalty to my advantage. Previous posts on MRI suggesting a "Plutonium" level status having REAL perks might have kept me around. I honestly believe that with all the ways to earn status in the MR program (rollover nights, VISA bonus nights, points stays now count as nights, etc.) has diluted the MR status tiers even more. For those MR members who are "on the edge" and need these opportunities to earn/retain status - they are happy for these nights, but for TRUE road warriors that make PP 2.5 times over with PAID nights, there is not any recognition for us - we fall into the same group as "those on the edge."

I am still averaging 175-200 paid nights a year but with HH because they have policies/perks in place that fit my style more than MR. The main MR reasons below are not issues with HH, so with the free breakfasts perks via HH-Diamond status, it works out well for me.

The main reasons I left Marriott are as follows:

1. They removed free coffee from the lobbies of all CYs and now have to pay for Starbucks
          2. Promised by the VP of Marriott Rewards in 2013 that MR would have a guaranteed suite on points policy redemption within 18 months - -still waiting
          3. My last six vacation stays on points (all while a PP years running) got me the "standard" upgrade room (the really poor upgrades such as pool vs parking lot view, 7th floor instead of 3rd floor, concierge floor in lieu of suite (and a suite was available), etc.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Your LPE status only kicks in once you don't reach Platinum or Premier Platinum in the current year. Lets say for example you decided to not stay at a Marriott for all of 2016. You would then in 2017 be LPE. Since youre currently PPE that will continue to be your status until it drops to something lower than Platinum.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...