8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2015 1:59 AM by 7 RSS

Any advice on Oslo and Dublin?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So, I've been away for a while as I moved and settled into my new job. There are pretty much no Marriott properties here in the Baltics, so I had pretty much given up on any Marriott stays in the near future. Well, suddenly it is fall break and so we decided to take advantage and take a short trip and it looks like I might have a chance for one.

After looking at a ton of options I found some good flights where I can go to Oslo, then on to Dublin, and then back for about $170pp and spend 2 nights in each of those location.

Marriott seems to have no availability in Oslo unless you search without a date and then you can find a Moxy. But, I guess it's either unavailable those dates or not open yet or something. Any other recommendations there? We are considering trying AirBnB though we've never done that before.

In Dublin, I see the Shelbourne Renaissance which looks really nice and the Powerscourt Hotel which is an Autograph Collection. I've only stayed at one Autograph Collection previously and I did like it, but I don't think there were really any Platinum benefits. The rate is about 80Euro/night cheaper at the Powerscourt so I guess that would cover having to pay for breakfast. Has anyone here stayed at both and, if so, can you give a comparison?

Edited to add that I'm leaning toward the Shelbourne since it is more in town and I don't really want to rent a car.

Update! I started stressing over the logistics of making 3 separate one way flight reservations on 2 different airlines (what if I get 2 done and then the 3rd is sold out) so I decided to simplify and just do 1 RT flight to Oslo and spend all four nights there. I found a really great deal on an airbnb right by Frogner park. Hopefully the guy isn't a serial killer or anything,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dublin, Ireland Renaissance Hotels The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Oslo, Norway
  • Re: Any advice on Oslo and Dublin?
    jt15550 Platinum

Yep, the Oslo Moxy was supposed to open in Fall of 2015, and I think that pushed to mid to late 2016.  I looked into it and found the same result.  Seems that there are some mostly or partially-owned chains out of the Nordic region (Radisson maybe?) that mainly populate that area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes, Radisson seems to be the most available by far.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Looks like there are quite a few threads on the Shelbourne Hotel that you may find helpful, 7.  I've linked to them below. Do keep us updated on what you end up choosing!

Re: The Shelbourne Dublin

Re: shelbourne hotel in dublin ?

Airport to Shelbourne Hotel

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I just updated the original post. Decided to skip Dublin this time and just spend all 4 nights in Oslo.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i stayed in the shelbourne 2 months ago got an upgrade free breakfast and some drinks and snack vouchers the hotel is great and in a great location

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Welcome back, 7! Great to see you back in action.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

cant recommend the hotel but I would take the on off bus for the day and from that you can easily see most of the sites in Dublin then end up in temple bar area for some good brew

ndn Platinum

Shelbourne is a really nice hotel in downtown. It's often extremely expensive though and booked solid. The Powerscourt used to be a Ritz-Carlton. It is more of a resort property--rather far from anything you will do. (A car is a MUST!) You will still get free breakfast at the Powerscourt as a Gold/Platinum though.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...