43 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2015 10:09 AM by misterchk RSS

MLB Post Season 2015 - Right Here and Now

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well Friends, the post season has begun!  The Houston 'Stros dominated the NY Yanks in the AL Wild Card game, as did the "hungry" Chicago Cubs against the Pittsburgh Pirates in the NL. 

POST SEASON.  Let the games begin!  Congrats to all teams tonight forward.

I know that the likes of IAHFLYR, misterchk, jerrycoin, painedplatinum, and clebert  have a stake in these games.  Anyone else? 

Gotta LOVE Major League Baseball!  Anyone attending any games?  Do tell!  And may the "best" team win.

Play ball!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MLB Post Season 2015 - Right Here and Now
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Now comes the great experiment:

CAN A PAYROLL OF OVER 200 MILLION AND ONLY TWO STARTING PITCHERS CAN MAKE IT TO THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP  SERIES.

CAN THE DODGERS EVER BEAT THE CARDINALS IF THEY MEET

HOW MANY HOURS AFTER THE LAST OUT WILL THE ANNOUNCEMENT ARRIVE THAT DON MATTINGLY HAS BEEN RELIEVED OF HIS POSITION IT THE TEAM FAILS TO MAKE IT TO THE WORLD SERIES.

SO MANY QUESTIONS AND SO FEW ANSWERS -

Think I will switch to the discussion of what NFL team(s) will move to Los Angeles??????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

My question is, can the Cardinals take all?  What a truly stellar season they have had. And not just this year, but the past three years.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good News for the Cards:  They are the best team

Bad News for the Cards:  The team with the best record going into post season wins the World Series less than 50% of the last 30 years.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto77,

Am not a real fan, but do enjoy the various teams.

Prediction from me is that the Cubs are a real contender!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

As the Giants didn't make it this year I hereby officially declare the playoffs and the World Series irrelevant.

Platinum 28 Reviews

@john_thai

Playoffs are never relevant - but they are fun if you have a loyalty to a team participatinig!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Game 1 tonight of the Astros at Royals in ALDS.

Astros first time in playoff in 10 years.  They play much better at Minute Maid Park than on the road however; won 7 of their last 8 road games including the win over the Yankees in the Wild Card play in game.  They must get a good seven innings tonight from 19 game winner Collin McHugh, free swing as they've done all year, use their speed on the bases and then pray the bullpen that has been suspect in recent weeks can hold on. 

In the for what is't worth department, Astros won the season series 4-2 with a 1-2 record in Kansas City.

Good luck kids and play with that enthusiasm that got you here.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

You are aware of my loyalties! 

Until there is a game between the two leagues I will be an Astros fan to support my friend from the Republic Of Texas.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't have a dog in this fight. My favorite Seattle Mariners and both teams from my home state of Ohio were long gone before the playoffs began.

I guess if I had to pick, I'd like to see a Cubs vs Astros World Series. Cubs have been waiting a long time and if I'm not mistaken, the Astros could become the first team to go to the World Series representing both leagues (last time there they were NL, right?).

For IAHFLYR, I'll root for the Astros to win it all. Again, if I'm not mistaken, they (and the Rangers) are the only teams in the playoffs that have never won a series and Texas has 2 appearances to Houston's 1).

Not that I'll be paying all that much attention unless it comes down to a fight between IAHFLYR's boys and misterchk's bums. That might be worth watching (on the Insiders forum of course).

Platinum 28 Reviews

bejacob

We are actually very close in who to root for.  My first choice, obviously would be the Dodgers vs Astros - but if that doesn't materialize (which is a longshot) than my second choice would be Cubs vs Astros.

Unfortunately I would be rooting against my friend from R.O.T. (LOL) and root for the Cubs!

As we all know this scenario could be moot in a few short days.

Some years are like that, where we're just sort of - meh - on the whole thing.  I should probably be like john_thai, but alas, I'm quite interested in a number of teams left in the fight.  Presently, I have this morbid fascination with the Cubs.  Don't know whether I'm with them or against them.  Too, I have to root for the 'Stros, since their club "nursery" is now local.  I'm with you on this.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I'm with you bejacob, my team is out. I was a little reluctant to read this thread because I'm feeling a little bitter about it. With that being said... Go Mets!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

carat

SHAME ON YOU!!!!     (LOL)

As an official member of the Marriott community you should not show favoritism!!!!!!!!!!!!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It goes without saying, 2015 is the year the Cubs take it all. Then look for the Bears to get this thing turned around and snag the SuperBowl. As the weather warms up in '16, look for the Bulls and the Blackhawks to keep the titles coming!!

The Cubs should take out a weakened St Louis team that is running on fumes. Beating the LAD vs NYM winner will be a bit trickier with their respective starting pitchers, but the good guys will find the way. I'm expecting Toronto to be coming to the party from the A.L. and they sure look tough....but they too shall give way.

Tsk, tsk, I dunno, Pained One.. if pitching wins titles... Cards may be tough to beat.  That said, way to keep the faith, PP.  Believe in October!  (and apparently, January and February and...)

It's a pitcher's post season, for sure.

These are all great posts.....bejacob thanks for your cheers as well as misterchk and his ROT!!!  Yes I did get it and I'd love to see a wonderful post season with hitting and some timely pitching.

I'd love to see the local ratings tonight with the Stros vs Texans......bet the Stros smoke 'em good as the city is jacked right now for the Stros to live up to the nickname following the Rockets back to back Championships....Clutch City the Stros are Crush City.   I pity the fool that doesn't have a way to DVR both games at the same time as well as their favorite Thursday night shows on ABC.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

don't get too hyped up as you said it is a year or two before they should be there

Yeah, They say 2017 was supposed to be when Astro fan could expect to see them in the playoffs, well who is "They" and what do "They" know?   Last night was a fun night for baseball with both visiting teams winning, Friday I'd like to see the same.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

The arrangement (sorry) was for the visiting teams to win until Friday - today/tonight begins all hone team victories through Sunday.

I agree and in short series pitching wins. Look at last year with Giants they won with essentially one pitcher

Platinum 28 Reviews

MUST MAKE PLANS FOR THE DAY - (Living in Los Angeles creates unique problems when travelling by car - below is my schedule for the day).

Weather forecast: High for the day 100  - temperature at game time 85

SITUATION:  Travel from my home to Dodger Stadium (22 Miles) -  Estimated time (with Friday afternoon traffic) 8 hours, 20 minutes.

Game starts at 6:45PM (Pacific Daylight Time) - Ideally one would want to arrive 45 minutes prior to the first pitch. This will require departure from my home at  10AM,

First stop will be the Burbank Airport Marriott for Lunch.

Second stop will be the JW Marriott in Downtown Los Angeles for a light snack and to freshen up/visit to rest rooms.

Hopefully this schedule will allow arrival at the stadium with ample time to park, enter through stadium security to our seats.

On the way to our seats it is required to have your credit approved at the stadium finance department or you will not be permitted to stand in the long lines to purchase one dollar hot dogs for $10 and one dollar Cokes for $5.  (must weed out those clogging up the lines that can't afford these prices).

(It should be noted that the Stadium introduced their own brand of water which can be obtained for only $6 a bottle (16 oz).

Shortly after consuming the over priced food one must immediately resort to Rolaids - if you forgot to bring you are out of luck - I spent years looking to purchase antacids in Dodger Stadium to no avail.

After the game - with weekend rush hour traffic over - the time necessary from the stadium back home is 25 minutes.

Those staying home and watching on television don't know what they are missing

misterchk,

We better see some Marriott Insider sign waving to the TV cameras and oh by the way, afternoon games on Friday is visiting teams win, evening games is when it changes to home team wins.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

As a long time member of Red Sox Nation, I have begun to look forward to some winter acquisitions of pitching and then on to 2016!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Since both my Red Sox and Nationals disappointed me, this season, I'm hoping that the WS results in Cubs over Astros.

phctourist,

While I thank you for including the Astros in your World Series teams, I'd have to say you've got it wrong in the end result!   My best friend is an ole Wrigley kid growing up so Cubs Stros would make for a fun time with him razzing each other.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Go Cubs!  I have been rooting for them since the Ryne Sandburg days.  It's time!

mdphillips69 Platinum 9 Reviews

I'll be cheering on the Texas Rangers Monday at ALDS Game 4 (if necessary) with a post-game stay at the Courtyard Dallas/Arlington Entertainment District (You're welcome Marriott).

BTW, is there another Marriott property more conveniently located to a big league ballpark?

Hotels in Houston | Autograph Collection | Hotel ICON Houston is a quick six-seven block walk to Minute Maid Park.

My melon tossing Astro bullpen has resurfaced.  Come on Hinch, take that #36 Will Harris guy and let him wash towels or something else, but do not put him back in a game again. WOW

But the Astros in my humble opinion missed two wonderful scoring chances:

• 1st Inning, Rasmus doubles with two outs.  Gattis singles to left center and 3rd base coach Pettis does not send Rasmus home.  Come on, Rasmus isn't the fastest but he certainly isn't slow and with two outs what have you to lose.  Oh, you lose that run with the next batter strikes out leaving Colby at 3rd base.

• 2nd inning.  Bases loaded no outs, Chirs Carter on 3rd and Altuve hits fly ball to right field for out number one.  Again Pettis hold Carter....why not let him try and score and the other runners will move up on the throw to the plate.  Next batter Springer singles to left field and had Carter scored on previous out with runners on 2nd and 3rd they'd have 5 runs not 4. 

If, if, if.  I get it and pitching did botch the game for the kids from H-Town, but they are home now with a real chance to get up 2-1 on Sunday.

GO stros

Indeed.  Our baseball Beard goes tomorrow afternoon and hopefully at the end of the day he will be 16-0 at home this season and his home ERA will be below 1.50.

Platinum 28 Reviews

HELP!!!!

I'm in the second largest populated city in the country!

Am I the only DODGER FAN here??????

Tis Monday and it's full of playoff games with much on the line.  Some series may close out today while others will take a 2-1 lead in the series. 

My Astros are pitching an excitable kid with a burning fastball.  If he gets ahead of the hitters and doesn't start to get upset about ball/strike calls he will do fine. 

The Utley slide was uncalled for in my opinion and the suspension for two games should be upheld and maybe add a few more just for good measure.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

IAH I need a favor - going to be preoccupied today with three baseball games, one street fight in NY and an NFL game as the icing on the cake.

If you would be so kind as to send to my home:

Lunch:  Three organic salads from Whole Foods

Dinner:   two large pizzas (one with pepperoni and another with mushrooms

Feel free to charge the cost to my account.  Thanks in advance and I will let you know if there is anything else we need.

Happy Columbus Day

MC

misterchk,

I ordered your organic salads as well as your pizza however; they told me since they use Southwest Airlines for their deliveries to the LA Basin you may not get them until later tonight or tomorrow midday due to technical issues.  It appears that Southwest has been working with United to create more technical issues than lost luggage and customer complaints.

Best of luck!

IAH

Cards (1-2) @ Cubs (2-1), Game 4 NLDS.  Can Chicago fans handle a win today?

They darn well better handle a win just like our Astro kids will tomorrow evening in KC.  I hope they learned an awful lot yesterday with all the emotions flying in the dugout during what they thought would be a huge inning in the 7th, only to find out you have to get 27 outs!  

Collin will do great tomorrow and they need some 7 plus innings from him with the bats flowing!

first time cubs clinched a series at home ever

Congrats Cub fan and Cubs.

I'm sorry the 'Stros didn't pass muster, IAHFLYR.  I'm sorry that I'm missing so much baseball!  Because of scheduling, I pretty much missed every game this week.

Yeah they pretty much put their playoff lives on the line with the 8th inning of Game 4 giving up all those runs.  Hey, we had a great run, the city was alive and it will give us something to look forward to next year as well as kept us from watching football for another couple of weeks and now basketball season is rapidly approaching!!  

The off season will certainly be interesting as Rasmus is a free agent and most likely gone, we need to find a bullpen that won't fold in the end of September AND Tals hill will be gone so can't wait to see how far the centerfield fence is.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

IAH we have been silenced!  My home team's test of how far 300 million dollars go is over.

I am thankful for the diversion that NFL Sunday Ticket allows - with a little luck I can stay off Prozac until the Monday following Super Bowl Sunday.

"What'a a mother to do?"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...