53 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2015 4:28 PM by phctourist RSS

Top 5 Places to Visit in New England

KatieC Member
Currently Being Moderated

Lake Champlain VT.jpg

Fall is upon us in New England, arguably the BEST place to be this time of year. We have quite a few Insiders from Maine, Mass., Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut, and several others who mentioned upcoming travel to the area in response to the 2015 Travel Plans thread by sg1974. https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/17537?start=0&tstart=0

Born and raised (mostly) here in Connecticut, I have family all over this region. So I’ve seen a lot. My favorite New England spots include:

• New Haven, CT - Connecticut pizza! https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1869#comment-29185
  • Burlington, VT – We’ve spent many a summer week/weekend in this city and on Lake Champlain. It is absolutely beautiful (see above pic). http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-burlington-vermont.html?_r=0
  • Block Island, RI – Hidden gem introduced to me by my husband. He grew up going here every summer. You can splurge and take a tiny plane there, which I highly recommend (even if it’s just one way). There may not be a Marriott on the island, but any Insiders ever been here?
  • Boston, MA – I have been to Boston many many times and it never gets old for me. The historical sites, food, culture, everything. I don’t see much on Insiders recently about this city, though. 
  • Portsmouth, NH – This is on the top of my list as I haven’t spent much time in New Hampshire. Several friends have recommended Portsmouth for its “great, cool, old New England feel.”

You’ll notice I didn’t mention Maine above. It is one of my favorite states but I’m not the only one, and there is already a TON of Maine on Insiders. A few recents:

I’d love to hear your top 5 places to visit in New England? Where are you staying? Where are you eating? Drinking? Attractions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
Boston, MA
Block Island, RI
Burlington, VT
New Haven, CT
  • Re: Top 5 Places to Visit in New England
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Cape cod, kennebunkport, mystic , boston and lakes region in new  Hampshire and to keep one for every state in vermont would go to stowe

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

All great choices, jerryl. Why Stowe over all of the other VT mountains?

it was where the Von Trapp family settled so a very Austrian  looking town in summer and great skiing in winter

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Stowe is one of the most scenic spots in VT.  It has great restaurants. a wide lodging assortment, and the best skiing in the state.

There is a scenic road, The Toll Road, that you can drive to the top of Mt. Mansfield.  In the winter it is a novice ski run that is pleasant and scenic.  Even some advanced skiers take a run down it even though it is an easy trip.

There are many attractions nearby.  It is my favorite destination in the state.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Kinnebunkport, ME

kinnebunkportmaine-010.jpg

South Portland, ME

portlandmaineheadlight-13.jpg

Cape Cod

boatmarshcape011.jpg

Stowe, VT - used to go skiing there in the winter and stayed at the Von Trapp Lodge. I even met "Maria" (Von Trapp) and she signed one of her books, "Yesterday, Today and Forever", for me.

when in Kennebunkport go to Maine Diner in Wells( about five miles away ) . great seafood chowder as highlighted on food channel

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

jerryl, I've definitely had great chowdaaa in Kennebunkport, but can't remember what restaurant it was since it was 10 years ago!

KatieC I recently went to Block Island for a day trip and although I had a major fail when we rented mopeds , we went to the restaurant The Oar and it definitely made things better. There are thousands of hand painted and customized oars from visitors all over the ceilings & walls, it's really cool. They have a nice lawn area with lots of Adirondack chairs looking at the bay, picnic tables to eat outside, and my favorite part, corn hole boards! I can't forget about the delicious frozen mudslides either!   I totally recommend making a stop there next time you visit the island if you haven't been before!

KatieC Member

Love these pics, fschumpert. The one from Kennebunkport especially, it really captures the essence of the New England coast. Thanks for sharing!

jjulian Platinum

Newport, RI is a must

KatieC Member

I've only been to Newport once, and I agree with you! We were actually invited to a wedding at the Tennis Hall of Fame (https://www.tennisfame.com/) but couldn't make it. What are your favorite things to do/see in Newport jjulian?

go to the mansions on the water and see where the real rich at the turn of century ( 18th Century) lived

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great locations to visit KatieC.  I would add Mystic Seaport, CT for sure.  Would also recommend the lighthouse tours in MA and Maine (2nd most lighthouses in US).  Also in MA, being a history buff and ex-history teacher, Concord, Lexington, Boston, Plymouth, and let's not forget Salem (the Witch City).  Very nice post and responses.

concord and Lexington are great on patriot's day and they reenact the British going to Concord

KatieC Member

Thanks, bpelican! Yes, I must get to Salem one of these days. I discovered recently that one of my ancestors was tried as a witch during that time.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Mystic Seaport is a favorite.  My grandfather was head of their Photography Department for over 25 years, so I spent a ton of time there when I was a kid.

I'm from Boston and I love most of the destinations already mentioned.

My favorites, however, are:

1.  Maine coast.  I've driven every major peninsula and some of my favorite dining spots are Bob's Clam Hut (Kittery), Cooks Lobster house (Bailey's Island) and just about every lobster pound that you can find in the state.

2.  Boston. It was home for my first twenty two years and I still miss it, more than 50 years later.  For dining, try the North End.  My favorite pizza places are Antico Forno and Regina (possibly the best in the US).  You must visit Fenway Park.

3.  Newport is spectacular, especially during it's many music festivals.

4.  Stowe Vermont, the ski Capital of New England.

5.  Dixville Notch, NH after the Balsams reopens.  Until then, try the Mount Washington Hotel in the White Mountains.  Amazing scenery and great skiing. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Absolutely love North End in Boston.  So much history with the The Historic Old North Church, Boston MA | Old North Church and then incredible Italian treats.

P1010366.JPG

Love the North End - Gennaro's, Mike's, Daily Catch, Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, Café Vittorio and a gazillion other great restaurants.

While in North End can't forget about Carmen - Home!

starting to get cold . I have to go to Mass in December not looking forward to that. I love New England from April thru October as I spent my first 35 years in Boston and had enough of cold weather

I think Cook's my have been the restaurant in the visa commercial many years ago

You should also try Quattro, on the corner of Hanover and Parmenter Street.  Wonderful pizzas, spit-roasted meats, and handmade pastas.

We go to Newport every September - for about 25 years so far.  Love it.  Great sites, great air, great restaurants and shopping.

Flo's

Salvation Cafe

Corner Café for breakfast - French toast made with Portuguese sweet bread and serviced with a maple pecan butter.

Sardelli's

Mooring

White Horse

Revolving Door

Scales and Shells

The Deck

Aquidnick Lobster

and many more.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

KatieC,

Great list.  I would add Newport, RI and would concur with Portsmouth.  If you get to Portsmouth the New Castle, NH Luxury Hotels | Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa is a must visit.  Several of us have talked about the property in threads over the years. lakersfan and tjcnewyork were/are both big fans.

IAHFLYR, did you ever end up getting to the Wentworth?

jakeal no have not made it yet, but it isn't off the list of places just ran out of fall time this year.

KatieC we were in Salem a couple of years ago just before Halloween, what a place for sure and a must visit for you.

Wentworth by the Sea is a wonderful hotel!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

New England in the Fall is one of my top bucket list items! I would love to do a road trip throughout the area this time of year. Will definitely revisit this thread when that becomes a reality! These are all great!

Fall is best season in New England ( I lived there for half my life) . In October you get indian summer warm days after the first frost

Fall is best season in New England ( I lived there for half my life) . In October you get indian summer warm days after the first frost

jerryl  I don't understand how you could have lived half your life in New England and not be a member of Red Sox Nation.  I do agree that fall in New England is spectacular.  Some of my favorite spots for NE in the fall are:

Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor, ME;

Stowe Vermont;

Manchester, VT;

Mohawk Trail, MA:

White Mountains, NH:

when I started in little league I got number 7 and played center field now you know the rest of the story

KatieC Member

Tell me more about White Mountains, phctourist.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Having lived in New England my entire life, I can't imagine fall any place else.

For the sake of keeping this short, I'll stay focused on Northern Vermont.  First of all, Vermont has some great breweries. Stowe has a couple, but hands down, The Shed Brewery is my favorite.  When I lived in Burlington, we used to take the 30 minute drive south and pop in for some good eats and super fresh growlers. If you're looking for an amazing scenic ride, you have to take Route 108 North between Stowe Mountain Resort and Smuggler's Notch. It is an insane mountain pass, which takes you over a shoulder of Vermont's largest mountain, Mount Mansfield, filled with hairpin turns and great scenic views.  My all time favorite fall drive!

Another great fall activity to do while in Burlington, is to take the ferry across Lake Champlain to a few small Northern New York towns, Plattsburgh, Essex, and Port Kent.  Gets you out on the water and into some cute little towns with neat little cafes and restaurants and small artisan shops. 

Fun Fact: One of the most wonderful things about this state is that they do not have any billboards.  At first, I found this a little odd, but then I came to appreciate it.  Vermont has some gorgeous countryside and this just keeps it clean and beautiful, especially in the fall.

Vermont sounds like quite a place to visit in the fall or for that matter anytime of year except for those of us who do not really enjoy cold weather and snow all that much!!

Vermont is a great place to visit most of the year, but there is an exception.

It's called "mud season" and if you ever visit at that time you'll quickly realize why it's called that.

It comes at the end of winter or early spring when the snow is rapidly melting and everything is covered with mud.

Hotel rates, at that time, are the lowest of the year and they still don't get many guests.

KatieC Member

I never knew about the billboard! That's awesome.

Remember that Route 108 North between Stowe Mountain Resort and Smuggler's Notch is closed in the winter but it is a beautiful drive, any other time.   (Even all wheel drive couldn't get you through the pass on many winter occasions, if they didn't close it.

No mention of the Big E?

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

I have always wanted to visit New England in the fall - especially VERMONT! I once heard that Vermont and Oregon were both "socks with sandals" states, which I like the sounds of...   I have sadly only visited Boston, and then only in the winter! It was cold but beautiful! I hope to make it out there sometime soon.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Unless I missed it, no one mentioned Acadia National Park. 

KatieC Member

Definitely a highlight of New England, californian. I think it is covered, in part, in some of the threads I linked to above. You can never have enough Acadia though. The hiking, the scenery, the food. I used to go every August. We are due for another trip!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Now that I'm back living in the East Coast, will definitely visit Acadia.

yes it is worth a visit  including Bar Harbor the town on mt desert island

by the way going up the Maine coast to include Camden would make a great trip

Keep in mind that there is a beautiful section of Acadia NP that is not on Mt. Desert Island (home of Bah Hahbah) that has much less traffic during the summer than Bah Hahbah.  It is less developed and just as scenic, maybe more so!  It is just north of Mt. Desert Island. 

There is, however, a way to travel between Stowe and Smugglers Notch in the winter.  You can do it on skis.  You can ski between the top of Spruce Peak (at Stowe) and the top of Smugglers.  It's a nice diversion when one is spending a week at either resort.  You get to check out the other resort for a day.

BTW,  Marriott is opening a Fairfield Inn in Waterbury, VT about 15 minutes south of Stowe!  It is expected to be open in time for the ski season!

tmak75 Platinum

As a Midwesterner (Milwaukee) who has worked in MA and CT I have to say you guys do have beautiful Autumn seasons.  I don't have five but Boston and Hyannis Port I enjoyed a lot.

Off to Connecticut and Massachusetts this weekend, visiting family.

Have some great Pizza and a lobstah for me!

In all this dialogue, I forgot the true mother church of New England.  Far and away, the best place to visit is the home of Red Sox Nation! Fenway Park!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...