22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2015 6:50 PM by iahflyr RSS

ASTROS BEAT YANKEES

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Are you kidding me....our hometown kids and I mean kids have found a way to get into the ALDS vs KC Royals!!!!!  WOW Crush City, here we come BABY and Houston is loving it.!

Who in their right mind would have said staring the 2015 MLB season that the team who had lost 300 plus games over the last few years would show up and be in the chase for a chance to play in the World Series?  NOT ME

Last time the Houston Astros even thought of being in the post season was 2005, World Series against the White Sox.  It was horrid.....4-0 Chicao wins.

Now some 10 years later they have a group of kids who are simply incredible, full of energy and trust their teammates to take another step.  Names like Altuve, Springer, Keuchel, Correa, Marisnick, Castro, Mc Hugh, Ramus, Gregerson and then the Manager AJ Hinch are going to make it deep into the post season this year and be way ahead of where others including myself thought they'd be. 

Rookie of the Year.............Carlos Correa

Managerof the Year............AJ Hinch

Cy Young Winner...............Dallas Keuchel (gotta change his first name to Houston)

Come on Marriott..give the H-Town kids some love.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: ASTROS BEAT YANKEES
    Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Congrats to the 'Stros!

A step closer to the possibility of that 1320 mile freeway series down Interstate 10!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Congratulations to your hometown boys, IAHFLYR. I kept hoping the Mariner would finally catch fire this year. By the time they started playing well, it was too late. As for the rest of the teams in the AL west, seeing Houston win is better (for this Seattle fan) than watching the Angels or A's (and even the Rangers).

Let's see how far they can go. Gotta feel bad for either the Pirates or the Cubs. Both had great years but one has to go home after tonight.

Enjoy the postseason. I hope for your sake it continues well into October.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Yes bejacob I'm torn between cheering for the Cubs or the Bucs but I think I'll go with the Cubs because it has been a long, long time since they've been in a World Series, wouldn't that be fun?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Yes, IAHFLYR I too was root, root, rooting for the Astros last night; I haven’t been a Yankees fan since I was a kid.  I grew up in Minnesota and my Dad used to take me and my brother to Twins-Yankees games at the old Metropolitan Stadium which is now gone replaced by the Mall of America.  After one game my Dad lifted me up to the Yankees team bus, I offered my little autograph book and it came back with the names of Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard, and Ralph Terry.  And yes, I still have them.

I’m not sure if this question has been asked before but what are people’s favorite baseball movies?  I love “The Natural” and a very old one released in 1949 called “It Happens Every Spring.” It starred Ray Milland, who plays a college professor working on a long-term scientific experiment when a baseball comes crashing through the window, destroying all of his glassware and spilling the fluids that the flasks and test tubes contained. The pooled fluids combine to form the (fictitious) chemical "methylethylpropylbutyl" which then covers a large portion of the baseball. The professor soon discovers that the fluid, along with any object with which it makes contact, is repelled by wood e.g. a baseball bat.  Suddenly, he realizes the possibilities and takes a leave of absence to go to St. Louis to pitch in the big leagues, where he soaks the ball with the wood repelling liquid, becomes a star and propels his team to the World Series.  It was a great movie.

And I also LOVED the Ken Burns Baseball TV series on PBS.  The Monologue still gives me goose bumps and ends with my favorite quote,” It is a haunted game, where each player is measured by the ghosts of those who have gone before. Most of all, it is about time and timelessness, speed and grace, failure and loss, imperishable hope, and coming home.”

I was really hoping the Twins would snag a wild card bid but maybe next year; hey it’s less than 6 months until opening day 2016.  I love baseball.

Platinum 28 Reviews

1. 42

2. 42

3. 42

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I haven't seen that one misterchk but have heard it is very good; I'll put it on my list.  Thanks.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I was fortunate to see Jackie Robinson play in 1954 and 55 in Brooklyn - unfortunately I was too young to appreciate the significance.

As an afterthought my next choice for favorite bb movie is the film of the musical play "DAMN YANKEES"

insidenji,

Those are sure some great names of who's who, hope you have that book locked away someplace safe!

The "Natural" was great, I liked "Field of Dreams" just about as much.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

First their newly relocated little farm team, and now the Big Boys.  Congratulations! As we say here in SF territory (well okay, maybe not this year ), "Believe in October!"  And maybe even a little slice of November!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

as a life long Yankee fan I still congratulate the Astros. Its interesting if you look at them , KC and the Nats( this year they had a bad year) . They all finished last 2-3 years in a row and drafted top level talent . The days of spending tons on old free agents and having that get you to the world series is over . Also revenue sharing and salary caps have balanced out the league

jerryl you nailed it.  Watching these Astros and other teams build with raw young talent is a thing of beauty.  Their pure innocence and love of the game and hanging out with their teammates if so fun to watch.  Even the old guy from Georgia Colby Rasmus gets excited by all the kids and he's just 28!   foxglove might have even seen him play in high school.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

In other words "raw old money" say a little over 200 million doesn't always work?

Doesn't appear to in this town and a few other MLB locales.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Congrats to the Astros! I'll be pullin' for 'em the whole way. In the meantime, our Bravos have sold off virtually everyone worth a nickel, except Freddie Freeman -- Justin Upton, Jason Heyward, Evan Gattis (to you guys), Alex Wood (former Bulldog) and Chris Johnson are all gone. Management has it's "eyes on 2017." Wait, what!? 2017? The only "building" going on in the Braves' organization is a new stadium in Cobb County.

But hey, our Dirty Birds are rolling. And after Sunday, I think you're right: J.J. under center might be an upgrade.

"Might be an upgrade"??????  I'd be an upgrade under center JJ would be incredible and as bad as their play has been at that position they may want to consider my offer. LOL

Oh yes, thank you foxglove for Gattis!

Thanks pluto77, told ya you should have gone out and watched Carlos play!   It will be fun no matter how far these kids go, sort of like the Royals last year winning the play in game and then making to the Series.  These are fun days for sure here in Houston, helps us forget about the start of the NFL season.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

After having visited Wrigley this year and personally observed the passion of those Cubs fans, I can only imagine how it would be tonight if the Cubs/Pirates game were played in Chi-town.  Hot game tonight.  If the Cubs manage a win?  Whoa, look out STL.  Wrigley will BE ON FIRE!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I enjoyed watching Keuchel last night.  I to follow former Razorbacks who make it to the pros.  FYI, there once was a football coach at Arkansas whose first name was "Houston".   Speaking of football, sure wish Ryan Mallet could get his act together.  Seeing Keuchel's beard makes me think of James Harden and his beard which makes me think of basketball and the Rockets and a former Hog, Patrick Beverly.  Sure hope his injury has healed and he is playing this pre-season.

razorbackfan,

The "Beard" and Patrick both played in the first pre-season game against Memphis.  Bad news for Patrick is that it looks like he lost his starting gig to Ty Lawson who they got from Denver over the summer.  Patrick will do just fine coming off the bench to provide some spark and instant in your face defense. 

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Haha I was expecting a post on this today IAHFLYR! I was only checking in throughout the night and kept seeing the Yanks were down, and wasn't very confident they'd be able to pull off a comeback. Congrats to you and all the Astro fans out there! I wonder where we'd be if Jeter hadn't retired....

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

If Jeter had still been playing, you would have been watching the Astros beat up some other team.

If if if!!! LOL  If George Springer had not been out two months with a broken hand the Astros wouldn't have been playing a Wild Card game, they'd have won the division and maybe been close to having the best record in the AL!!!  IF IF IF! LOL

I went out to a sporting good store this afternoon looking for something and they had pretty much sold out of Astros anything, way neat to have the city up cheering for baseball again as well as Rockets season starting soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...