4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2015 12:10 PM by sarom RSS

Earning Miles United/Continental - how to transfer to airline account?

sarom Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have just under 10,000 miles in my MR account, and am about to earn some more. I noticed that my preference was still set to Continental (United & CO merged miles programs earlier this year). I changed to United, same FF#, and that seemed to work ok.

My question is, how/when do these miles get added to my airline miles account? Is it automatic? Did I choose a level at which they get sent over? Is it every quarter? I'm not a regular at Marriott, and so I can't remember how this has worked in the past. I also can't find this information anywhere on the MR site.

Thanks,

saro

• Re: Earning Miles United/Continental - how to transfer to airline account?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, sarom! While I am not too sure, I bet some members of our community have a bit more knowledge when it comes to earning miles.  However, I will be reaching out to our team for clarity around this and will let you know what they have to say.

I'd also like to Welcome you to the Insiders Community!  You probably have already seen this, but this is a great forum to talk about all things Marriott.  It is also a great place to share your travel knowledge, experience and recommendations.  I'm carat and I moderate the community along with lindseyh and deannad. If you ever have any questions, like above, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help!

I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

While I've never selected to have any Marriott points go directly into my MileagePlus account I would imagine they would post in a similar time frame to how they'd post in your Marriott Rewards account which should be within 72 hours of your check-out.  I'd give Marriott Customer Service a call and ask them as well as calling MileagePlus Customer Service. 

Please let us know what you find out as others here may have the same question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi sarom,

We have heard back from our team and they have advised the following:

Members earn two frequent flyer miles per U.S. dollar (for an eligible room rate and incidental charges billed to the room) when staying at participating Marriott Hotels and Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Renaissance Hotels and Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Conference Centers, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and The Autograph Collection locations.

Members earn two frequent flyer miles per U.S. dollar (for an eligible room rate only) when staying at participating Ritz-Carlton Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Gaylord Resort and Convention Center locations, and Atlantis Hotels.

Members earn one frequent flyer mile per U.S. dollar (for an eligible room rate only) when staying at participating AC Hotels, Courtyards by Marriott, Fairfield Inns by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Residence Inns by Marriott, TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, and Protea locations.

Members earn 600 Southwest Rapid Rewards points per qualifying stay (regardless of length of stay) when staying at participating Marriott Hotels and Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Renaissance Hotels and Resorts, Marriott Conference Centers, Marriott Vacation Club International, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Ritz-Carlton Hotels, The Autograph Collection, AC Hotels, Courtyards by Marriott, Fairfield Inns by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Residence Inns by Marriott, TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Atlantis Hotels, and Protea locations.   

A complete list of Marriott Rewards airlines partners and their earning schedules can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/miles.mi

Please note, the name on the Marriott Rewards account must match the name on the frequent flyer account for airline credit to be processed.  Once processed, airline credit cannot be converted back to Marriott Rewards points.

If you have any further questions on this, please let us know and we'd be glad to have our team address them for you. Thanks, and hope this helps!

sarom Member

Hi all,

I have figured out the issue and am just documenting here for anyone else who may have a similar question. Apparently, I had just under 10,000 points in my MR account when I switched to earning miles.

When you earn miles, they post directly to your chosen FF account in about the same timeframe as MR points would have posted to your MR account. However, existing points don't automatically convert when you switch your earning style.

I thought I had miles in my MR account, since I am earning miles - but they're actually points, so I'll have to buy miles with those points (or use them for any of the things MR points can get).

Thanks,

Saro

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...