14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2015 8:55 PM by john_thai RSS

New (October 1st) Bag Size Enforcement Policies

seancd Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Apparently starting on October 1st, 2015, they are now strictly enforcing the carry-on bag size limitations for flights with no exceptions for status/precheck/plane size etc..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New (October 1st) Bag Size Enforcement Policies
    ramoneur Platinum

which flights?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

American was doing it on my last trip.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

United has been saying this for about a year now and I have not had anyone checking my roll-a-board nor have I noticed anyone else being asked to put their stuff into the box at the gate.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Airlines threaten this on and off fairly regularly. They never enforce it. I wish they would. It would make the boarding process much easier and faster when we don't have to wait behind someone trying to push a piano into the overhead bin.

But you can count on 1 thing. If they do enforce it they will make exceptions for class of service and possibly top level elites.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Leaving for Venice in early November and will take carry-on (roller board) luggage as usual. Hopefully, it won't be a problem on outgoing flight. I often check my luggage on return flight, though, as I'm not as concerned about lost luggage on return.

What really gripes me, though, is when someone sitting in the rear of the plane, puts his(her) luggage in the overhead near the front of the plane to avoid the hassle when de-boarding and to insure they have overhead storage. This only complicates luggage storage in overhead rack for everyone else, particularly the ones seated under the same overhead rack.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Fred when you see someone put their bag in the overhead and then head to the back of the plane, tell the Flight Attendant or better yet just move it about 10 rows back on the other side!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

It's true!  I have a bag that fits nicely in any of the overhead compartments I have been exposed to, but, for some reason, it's wheels fall outside the acceptable measurement.  I fly first class almost all of the time and have had my bag measured and confiscated twice in the past two weeks.  I have been told that the airlines have been threatened with fines by the FAA if they do not crack down on this.  I think it's bull and it is being driven by more people bringing their bag to the counter at the last minute to get checked for free, thus causing a loss of revenue for the airlines.  My frustration is that i purchased this 'carryon bag' recently for a lot of $$$ and now I am being told it does not fit the measurement criteria even though it fits the overhead fine....

grrrrrr

ndn Platinum

Whats the brand of the bag and what airline?

I have globally acceptable carry-on (except for a few weird carriers).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

my bag is a 42" TUMI carry-on.  the airline is US AIR/AMERICAN.  However, it has only happened on US AIR flights.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman I agree with and will see Friday when I board a American flight

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

While I sympathize with the frustration, if it exceeds the size guidelines then it exceeds the size guidelines. As I said in a previous post, I expect to see 1st class get "the benefit of the doubt" but if it's a rule then we're all kind of stuck with it.

Frankly, I'd like to see TSA go back to the "gates" they used to have at the scanners. If you bag didn't fit through the gate then you got sent back to the counter to check it in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...