3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2015 5:59 AM by brightlybob RSS

Interested to hear the thoughts of fellow Diesel Dubbers (cough-choke-hack)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

"Ursala" is our second VW but our first TDI. From the outset, her handling, power, and mileage exceeded our already lofty expectations. When touring, she made us feel that Emerson was speaking to us when he said, "To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom."

But now we find out why her power and mileage are so impressive -- and at what cost.   As it turns out we've been spewing 10 to 40 times the EPA-established emissions limits as we've jauntily rolled along. In addition, we received a nice federal tax credit for purchasing a "clean" vehicle. There's no telling how much revenue the federal government lost during the years the credits were available, all because VW chose to dupe consumers, government agencies, and once-loyal customers.

With 11 million vehicles affected worldwide, I'm sure it will be quite some time before VW has the new software developed and parts at the ready for the recall. And I certainly don't look forward to the dealership turning our pocket-rocket into a snail-pail. In the meantime, I'm torn between parking her and "drivin' the health out of her" while awaiting the recall notice. Any other diesel dubbers out there? If so, please share your thoughts.

ursala.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Interested to hear the thoughts of fellow Diesel Dubbers (cough-choke-hack)
    joshm Member

Wish I could share my perspective with you, foxglove.

I don't currently own a vehicle. I rely heavily on Leroy and Roscoe (My right and left foot ) and/or public transport.

I did read about this and it seems have grown into quite the ordeal for VW. Is there a way to fix VW's duping?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Interested to hear the thoughts of fellow Diesel Dubbers (cough-choke-hack)
      foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Hi, joshm. Thanks for the thoughts. This is a mess. VW has vowed to "fix" the issue. We've heard rumors of buybacks, but my guess is they'll develop new software that will make the cars conform to EPA standards. But I'm sure the performance will suffer. Our last VW was a 1.8 Turbo Passat Wagen that used premium fuel. We switched to the Jetta Wagen (VW spelling for wagon) for the sweet "clean vehicle" tax credit and because we felt we were doing something good for the environment -- not to mention the fact that Ursala was quicker and out-handled the Passat. Plus, when Mrs. Fox is driving, she gets close to 50 MPG highway -- me, not so much.

Now we're in wait-and-see mode. I'm sure Europe -- where VW's the leading car brand -- will take priority over the rest of the world. The Puebla, Mexico, VW plant, where North American Jetta TDIs are built, has shut down two of it's three shifts. So this fiasco is affecting more than just owners.

So in the meantime, I guess I'm going to enjoy the time we have left with the vehicle they told us we were buying.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Here in the UK over half of VW sales are diesel and once you get to 2-litre engines virtually all are. This is going to be catastrophic for VW and could well lead to the conclusion that as a clean alternative to petrol, diesel is a dead end. The EU was struggling to reach our emissions target before this fraud was discovered, once they are recalculated to take into account this scandal we'll miss it by miles, lierally!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...