8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2015 7:31 PM by jerryl RSS

English-only Reception policy?

aflondon Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Having failed to get service in French at Marriott hotel receptions in Paris, Brussels, and Montreal in recent years, I wonder whether English-only is now a Marriott policy. This wasn't a problem a few years ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: English-only Reception policy?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I've had no problems conversing with staff in French during my Paris Marriott stays this year (Marriott Opera Ambassador and Paris Boulogne Courtyard).  Whenever I spoke French, they would reply in French. They were patient and obliging In that way, as well as in many other ways.  More so now even than in the past (maybe because my French has improved?) Curious.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with you . I would expect in any American chain hotel that English would be primary language but I would also assume fluency in their native language

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey aflondon! Our team looked into this, and we learned that there isn't a policy in place stating the employees outside the US must speak English. If you'd like, we can certainly pass this on to the hotel you're referring to. Just send me a private message with the name of the property, and I can let them know!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This surprises me.  Years ago, I stayed at a Holiday in a French speaking location.  I choose the Holiday Inn because it was the only American chain.  I got there and they did not speak English.  I found out that the La Meridan spoke English.  My choice was a mistake.  Who would have guessed!

I do think that Marriott should make it a policy in hiring that the people do speak English.

I can only speak to experience at European Marriott properties, but I think that there must certainly be some sort of "unofficial" policy where by most if not all public facing employees are hired with a highly sought after "requirement" of being able to converse fluently in English (It's tantamount to good business).   Honestly, I would be shocked to waltz into a Marriott property in Europe (or quite honestly anywhere else where English wasn't the official native language) where the forward facing employees didn't speak fluent English, as conversely, I would be equally shocked if they didn't oblige my preference to converse in their native language, if I so desired.  The order of the day is hospitality, something which seems to me that many places outside of the U.S. are much more accomplished at than we are.

What does the Holiday Inn brand compare to in the Marriott stable?  At my Courtyard in Boulogne, they were so great about language exchange.  I really enjoyed conversing with them, and we helped each other a little bit with some vocabulary and grammar nuances, they helping me more than the other way around, so good was their English. But then it was Paris, though a suburb, though I will say that outside the hotel in that neighborhood, very few else spoke any English (which I, as a francophile, adored. )

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This was a while back and to a Caribbean island (Guadeloupe) where they spoke no English.  The front desk had no patience with me.  A man came to my rescue and translated.  While on a tour, I meet a woman who was staying at the La Meridian who told me that they spoke fluent English there.  I could have stayed there.  I assumed and learned you can never assume.  One needs to check before booking.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

it's interesting and maybe I have just been lucky but I have stayed at least 40 or more hotels in the world covering maybe 15 countries and have never once not had the front desk speak English

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...