7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2015 4:57 PM by pointjunkie RSS

Wedding Payment - Marriott Rewards Credit Card

user163 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I'm planning a wedding at a Renaissance property and am considering getting the Marriott Rewards credit card to pay for the wedding due to the 5 points / $ benefit.  Does anyone have experience doing this?  I'd like to confirm that my understanding is correct, mainly:

- We'll receive the standard Marriott Rewards points from Marriott per our wedding agreement

- In addition to the typical Marriott rewards points received, we'll receive 5 points per dollar spent in rental and catering expenses on our card at the Renaissance

Do I have this correct?  In general, when staying at a Marriott Property do you get both your Marriott Rewards points for the stay as well as the 5 points per dollar through the card?  Also, my fiance is likely the one who will sign up for the card.  Does she need a Marriott Rewards account before signing up or will one be created for her when she gets the card.  Many thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wedding Payment - Marriott Rewards Credit Card
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes you get points for the room in addition to points from charging it to the card. She should create the MR account before applying for the card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Welcome to Insiders, user163!  This is a great forum to talk about all things Marriott.  It's also a great place to share your Marriott experiences and recommendations.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here, along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us! 

I have gone ahead and asked our team for clarity around this.  Either, myself or one of my team members will let you know what they have to say. 

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

yup, user163, it's great to ride the Marriott VISA wave to great travel opportunities!!!!  But why not take the plunge for the Premier card!?!?!?!?! Consider the discussion at these links:

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hello again, user163.  Our team has gotten back to us and they have let us know the following. 

Provided the wedding charges are all billed by the hotel itself and not a third party vendor (ie. If the caterer were to bill them for that portion of the event) then yes, you would receive the 5 points per dollar for those expenses in addition to the standard event earnings. 

In general, when staying at one of our hotels, you would receive the standard stay earnings in addition to the earnings for the Marriott Rewards Credit Card purchases.  If your fiancée does not have a Marriott Rewards account when she applies for the card, one would be created for her when she gets the Credit Card, or she can enroll in the Marriott Rewards program beforehand and provide that account number to Chase when applying.  Either way would work.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

PLUS!!!!!  If you spend any time at the Renaissance (over night stays), anything you charge to your room you will receive 10 points per $1 spent (not including tax and gratuity). That's on top of what you will received with the credit card. Just make sure your Marriott Rewards number is on the room reservation.

So if you utilize the spa for a pre-wedding pamper-charge it to the room.

Room service for a midnight snack-charge it to the room.

It's all about the points.

Congratulations!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...