19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2016 10:31 PM by john_thai RSS

is "BBC World" standard at Marriott?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was a little bit annoyed when I found that BBC World is apparently not being offered anymore in Shanghai's Renaissance

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
  • Re: is "BBC World" standard at Marriott?
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

It is in every Marriott I've stayed in. Of course I never watch it since they don't speak true English and they are hard to understand when they are speaking British.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ah, yes, but hearing English as its meant to be spoken is so rewarding. American English is like listening to Beethoven played on a harmonica

Beethoven was deaf so what did he know?

Let's agree on one thing. Listening to a Scot speak English is like listening to Beethoven played on a bagpipe.

ramoneur Platinum

he was becoming partially deaf;

there are historical evidences that he was not fully deaf, even at the end

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

BBC World is commonly offered in all hotels and across all chains because it's usually "thrown in" by the hotels cable channel provider free of charge as the BBC actually pays most platforms a fee to carry the channel. The BBC doesn't have contracts with all carriers though and due to cutbacks may have let some lapse so if a hotel changes provider, or if the BBC has decided to let the provider contract lapse then it'll be cut off.

I don't think Marriott demands BBC World as part of the franchising contract, so it's not compulsory.

Platinum 28 Reviews

When living in Paris (back in the 20th Century) I couldn't wait to hear the detailed weather report on the BBC:

It was usually limited to two forcasts:

1. The weather in London today will be sunny with cloudy spells with the possibility of light rain.

2. The weather in London today will be cloudy with sunny spells with the possibility of light rain.

Very informative those English!!!

ramoneur Platinum

still;

I have visited some new Marriotts in China the last few months,

and I tend to get more and more irritated

ok, I sorta like CNN (especially the current Trump-situation trumps it all ;-))

but I, being European, like BBC World more

from my times as a satdish-user, I know BBC World was free to recieve;

isn't it free for hotels to pass it through to guests?

does one have to pay to receive BBS world nowadays?

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Like you ramoneur, if I was abroad, I would want BBC.  Why isn't it available?  I don't know the answer to that question.

ramoneur Platinum

...so who does know the answer?

according to my info BBC World is a free-to-watch sat channel;

do hotels have to pay a fee or something when they offer this channel to guests?

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I know hotel systems are different to those at home ramoneur but I have no idea how or why.  Everywhere I go I seem to be able to get CNN, which is fair enough if the BBC was also available.  It is a WORLD service after all.  Wherever I am, be it at home or away, the first thing I do every morning is to turn on BBC to see what has happened in the world.  OK, I could see CNN instead, but we all get used to our own favourite channels, and I repeat, the BBC is a WORLD channel.

Those of us who speak correct English as opposed to "British" might disagree with you on BBC being a WORLD channel. It is very much Euro-centric and, of course, UK-centric. In a 10 minute sports segment they'll do 9 1/2 minutes on an assortment of soccer teams that no one outside Europe has ever heard of and then mention the NBA finals by giving a single score. CNN seems fixated on sailing. Not sure why. Far and away most popular of the US news stations is FOX but they seem to charge more so few hotels carry it. That's why I depend on the web for my news when travelling.

peymanagement Platinum

John, I agree with you on BBC, It is by no means a world feed, It is at best a English speaking channel that covers some generic information largely about Britain and the EU. By the way I find CNN in Europe just as bad, Last Tuesday the programming was dominated from England, they flashed to Wolf once or twice to cover the primary for at most 15 seconds. I too follow what I need on the internet. 

By the way both of you John_Thai and tommo, I find the stuff about "true English speaker" disrespectful.... Just saying. 

Thanks. FYI, I am 3rd generation American from the UK. About 1/3 of the people I work with are Brits and Aussies. Making fun of each other's English is part and parcel of the relationship. All in fun.

ramoneur Platinum

...well;

thinking about this  a bit more;

I seem to remember that when I had BBC World on the television here in China, it was frequently blocked (screen just goes black; no sound);

for instance with political issues, Aiweiwei, etc.

maybe this frequent blocking/censoring has something to do with it?

ramoneur Platinum

nobody has any additional ideas?

Well, you could always go to management at that hotel and ask them.

I know, for example, that in Thailand the various satellite companies have different packages and some include certain stations that the others don't. The decision which satellite company to use determines what channels we get.

ramoneur Platinum

that may be an idea;

maybe I can get some real information on the why not

maybe I will be lucky the same as with my grapefruit juice problem;

yesterday I asked if they had any grapefruit juice (they didn't)

this morning it magically appeared!

:-)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Don't get me started on this subject. I just returned from two weeks in Europe and received only CNN International in each of the hotels. I can characterize CNN International with these features:

1. At the top of the hour a news break of current events, which lasts about three minutes. Then a scroll of temperatures from every corner of the world except where you are.

2. A half hour program about some place in sub-Sahara Africa.

3 A half hour program about some place in China

4. Top of the hour news.

Now add to the mix that the programming repeats every three hours.

What would be the crime in simply broadcasting the Live CNN or Fox News feed from the U.S.? Even if it's 3:00am on the east coast of the US when I'm tuning in at 10:00am in Berlin, it's still better to watch that than CNN International.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...