6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2015 12:20 AM by jerrycoin RSS

San Francisco:  Ritz or Marquis or Marriott Union Square?

sellinrain Gold
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are flying in for a romantic getaway in a few weeks and planning to use Reward Points to stay over a long weekend before heading up to Napa.  Currently the only "high end" Marriott properties available to use points during our stay are the Ritz, the Marquis or the Marriott in Union Square.  The Ritz requires what seems like a premium number of points (180,000 per night) compared with the other 2 (120,000 for the Marquis and 135,000 for Marriott Union Square).  Can anybody share an opinion about which of these properties would be best suited for us?  The reviews of the Ritz online tend to make me want to select one of the 2 others, particularly given the much higher points requirement.  Also if someone could confirm that the concierge lounge at the Marquis is still open 7 days a week that could also factor in our decision.

Thanks in advance!

-Chip

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco
  • Re: San Francisco:  Ritz or Marquis or Marriott Union Square?
    joshm Member

Hello sellinrain!

Ah, San Francisco. I've only been a few times, but love it down there.

As other members of the community see this thread and share their thoughts, I found some threads that may be helpful as you weigh your options:

A: I need a hotel rec for San Francisco. will be using points but want an awesome property. Any suggestions?

Re: San Francisco Marriott Union Square

Hope these help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sellinrain Gold

Oops, those point totals I mentioned were for a 3 night stay, not "per night."  Hope that clarifies things a bit.  -Chip

keplertracker Platinum

I have never stayed at the SF Ritz, but I've stayed at the Marquis and Union Square.   If it's romance and creature comforts, then stay at the Marquis over US.   Marquis is a much more elegant hotel, and there are great public spaces, restaurants and views from the Marquis.  Try the View Lounge!  You and your wife will have a great time.  The Marquis takes care of its reward members - and since the hotel is quite large, you have a better chance of getting an upgrade.   Most Marquis' have a 24 hour concierge lounge for members with snacks, food and drinks available - it's easiest to just call them directly.  Plus the location of the Marquis is great - easy to muni line, right next to shopping and Market Street.   (Hint : I save tons of parking money by pulling into hotel, unloading the car, then self parking at the Mission/Minna parking garage just a few blocks away.   That garage has 24hour security and costs more than 50% less than using the Marquis' garage.   I'm a cheap guy and saving over $100 is worth a two block walk.)

Union Square is more of a business style hotel IMO.   The rooms are smaller and there are way less amenities than the Marquis.   However, the staff at US is really great but the views and location are less than ideal.   The rooms are much smaller than the Marquis and the restaurants are not as good.   One good think about US is that is directly on the cable car line (but all the cars are 100% packed because Powell street is just down the street - you won't get on at US but you can see and hear the cable cars running.)   I don't recall the members lounge here.   If you stay at Union Square, park at the Sutter/Stockton garage - On weekends, it's like $15/day and only one block from the hotel!!!  

I'd say stay at the Marquis, and show your wife a grand time!   Happy travels!

Mark

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

The Marriott and Ritz hotels in heart of SF are quite nice, but I prefer the ones at Fisherman's Warf, which, by the way, are walking distance to the cable car at end of Powell Street, which will take you to Union Square and other spots in the city.

At FW you can also walk to the ferry to Alcatraz, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, along with some great restaurants in the area. And, the rates are generally less at FW. However, be warned - Do not leave your car parked on streets after 9:00 AM due to street cleaning.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Since you are doing points the most logical option would be staying at the Marquis, or even JW if available. The ritz although very fancy with updated rooms, will not offer lounge access, and chances of upgrading to a better room are very slim. The marquis is a very nice hotel with beautiful views and the View Lounge at the top makes a great romantic spot to watch the sunset and have a couple of cocktails. Its less than a block from public transportation and shopping. I parked my car at the garage on 4th and mission for 35 a day. Right in from of the Metreon and diagonally across front the hotel.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Having stayed at The Marquis, and none of the other choices, I really enjoyed this place.

Would go with the Marquis, but whatever you decide, book it ASAP!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...