25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2015 10:36 PM by jerryl RSS

Left Item in Room.....What to do?

txman Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So I stayed at the Courtyard in Victora Texas awhile back. About a half an hour after checking out, I realized I left my new Ifit (a week old) bracelet sitting next to the alarm clock. I quickly call the office. The lady that answers the phone at the front desk, and tells me she will check with house keeping and the manager or assistant manger will call me back shortly. At this point I'm trying to decide if I need to turn around and go back or just wait. Shortly I get a call from management. The lady tells me that the housekeeping manager went up to the room, and found it exactly where I told them I left it. Now come the fun part..... Do I turn around now and drive the 45-60 minutes back and end up late to my next appointment or get them to hold on to it for a couple of weeks knowing will be back through Victoria in a couple of weeks. I choose the latter. The manager tells me that she will put it in a bag and I can pick it up when I come back to town. A couple of weeks later I come back into town, I stop by the Courtyard the lady at the counter tries to help me out, she goes back to the lost and found, talks to the manager on duty, comes back out to her dismay...can't find it anyway. I give her exact dates, what happened, etc. I tell her I have a few things to do in town, I come back in an hour or two. She was very nice offered me a coffee. A couple of hours later I come back it is now where to be found. The head of housekeeping comes out we talk some more, turns out she was the lady that went back up to my room and found the bracelet, brought it back down to the manager, but low and behold...they still can't find it. They tell me the manager that was on duty the day I left it (the one that called me about it and said they would hold it for me) would call me later on that afternoon.....and guess what.....she never called. So now I am throwing out my situation here, looking for someone give me some advice. I realize I am only gold.......would platinum have better results?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Victoria Texas
  • Re: Left Item in Room.....What to do?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Yikes!! This sounds very frustrating, txman!  I'd like to check in with our team to see if they can provide support/clarity around this.  Can you private message me with details around your stay, the check in/out dates as well as the location? The more information we have to provide our team with the better.  Thanks in advance.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

txman Gold

Well I don't know what you did, but I got a phone call this evening from a person at the hotel.....I am heading back that way this weekend. They said they will take care of me when I get there, so there is some good things happening. Thanks for your help!!

Woohoo!! Of course, that's why we're here! 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Please keep us in the loop, we'd like to know how this all plays out!

txman Gold

I will definitely keep you all in the loop. I have been working through this for almost 2 months....but I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again for your assistance!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

carat,

That is awesome, well done and thank you for all you guys do for us here on Insiders!!!!!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That's great news, txman

Nice of CY in Victoria, TX to finally come through, hopefully, and great of carat to help.

I guarantee you that your IFit bracelet wasn't "lost" due to your status at whatever level.  If someone wanted to take it, it was just "gone".  My guess is that someone else could have even entered the office late at night or something and saw their chance.  Not necessarily the mgr. that was "taking care of it".  In my mind, CY would be responsible for replacing it, though.  

Platinum 28 Reviews

txman

Forgive me  but what is an iFit bracelet and what is the value?

txman Gold

The actual name is a FitIncluded bandit, depending on where you get it about $75 or so.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Not valuable enough to warrant a claim against your homeowner's policy (forgive me assuming you are covered) - seems though that it rests now with the integrity of the property.

Hopefully they will make good on the loss.

Good luck.

txman Gold

Unfortunately not....Hopefully the place will step up to the plate. As it turns out I will be heading back that  way this weekend....I will be asking about it again. In a perfect world they will have it waiting for me.

In a perfect world, it would have been waiting for you.  Sorry about that.  We've left several water filtration pitchers in refrigerators at places and they never seem to turn up.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I agree with eb5147's assessment that your status won't help you with this issue, not at this property or likely any property.  It appears that the resolution started out good, but then went south, as obviously a disconnect (or possible theft or discard) occurred at some point.  I think your best course is to persistently stay on top of it.  That way, if it's still there, you'll get it back.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  If it's not still there, I think you're out of luck as I don't think they are on the hook for any sort of liability.  I think that at this juncture, your success hinges on your polite persistence as well as the people involved, and how vested and honest they are towards seeing you to your happy ending.

I have a number and varied stories of left behind items at Marriott properties.  Some with happy endings, some not.  In your case, if you are unable to get it resolved while you're back in town, but later the item shows up, you might consider asking them if they would mail the item to you.  You can negotiate who will pick up the expense.  In this case, you have a fair argument for them picking up the shipping tab, but you also want to tread lightly on that.  You are ultimately at their mercy.  (I have been successful at having someone mail me - at my expense, after all it was my fault it was left behind - an item that was left.  I seem to recall trusting them with my credit card number or fedex account with no injuries.  Best of luck to you.

Platinum 28 Reviews

EXAMPLE OF WHY WE NEED REPRESENTATION!

(REFERENCING MY DISCUSSION OF ELITE MEMBERS HAVING A REPRESENTATIVE TO CONTACT MARRIOTT WITH SERIOUS PROBLEMS WHERE CLEAR EVIDENCE IS PRESENT/AVAILABLE)

Has it occurred to anyone that this discussion, once posted, should have been acted upon by Marriott immediately!

We have here an elite member trying to retrieve an item that the property acknowledged possession of.

It seems that Marriott would want to aid a frequent guest in retrieving his/her property.

txman Gold

I have to agree with what you, I am just glad that I found some assistance here.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I am about 50/50 in getting things back that I left and the longer you wait to tell them the lower chances of getting it back . I once left me day timer( my god losing that would be a disaster) but it was found and they needed a credit card to ship it to my house. That seemed a little over the top but  was happy to get it back

If that made any difference to Marriott, they would have done something about the housekeepers who caused us so much grief during the 5 years we stayed in the RI in Montgomery, AL.  Instead, the housekeeper who would never try to do anything in our room except ask at the door what we needed and then leaving doing nothing more except for the one time that the housekeeping dept. supervisor was checking up on her, has been rehired as asst. head housekeeper and the psychotic housekeeper is now head housekeeper.  And the housekeeping super wonders why they can't keep any housekeepers any more.

The thing is that most of these places are franchises and Marriott can only have a limited say as to what happens there.

I would think that the franchiser would want the good PR of doing the right thing, but I doubt that everything even reaches them.

txman Gold

As promised.......I showed up in Victoria yesterday morning got checked into the hotel....the assistant manager (Amanda) said she would be in today. I stopped by to meet Amanda. She gave me a gift card to bestbuy in the amount of replacement of my fitbit bracelet......along with comping my 2 night stay, with breakfast included.....thanks carat fir your assistance, thank you Amanda as well. it all worked out!!!!

A nice ending to your issue, now I hope you will at least get credit towards elite status for the two nights they comped!

txman Gold

Funny you mention that....I asked Amanda the same thing. She said she would ask and let me know by morning....ill let y'all you know when I hear something.

txman Gold

Update.....I got home from Victoria to a nice suprise....25000 bonus points added to my rewards account...a very nice surprise. I still do not know if the nights are going to count towards credit towards elite status or not.....

That's wonderful news txman, now just stay on them for the elite nights!

That's great of CY, txman

Even though the points won't count towards elite because they don't constitute a night stayed, that is a free night at a cat. 5, so CY really pulled through for you.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Good news for you

Yay!! I'm glad it all worked out in the end!! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.  Definitely put a smile on my face this morning

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...