25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2015 1:29 PM by melissaerb RSS

Honeymoon Help Needed!

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Insider Friends! I need help planning some final bits of my honeymoon, which is coming up in a few weeks, and I thought who better to ask?

What I've planned so far -

Here's where I'm having some trouble:

• From Lake Como, we are traveling to the Swiss Alps. We want to stay in the Jungfrau region. Anyone been there? We dont know if we should stay in Grindelwald, Murren, Wengen, or some other town in that area. Our main priorities are easily accessible hiking, and fantastic restaurants (I want to eat all of the fondue). Would love any and all recommendations on places to stay, where to eat, where to hike, any feelings at all...
  • Milan - We'll be ending out trip here for maybe one or two nights. Would love any recommendations on places to stay and places to eat, or any can't miss destinations.
  • Restaurant recommendations in any of the locations I listed above. kharada46 and I apparently have the exact same taste in restaurants, so look at his photo albums of food if you are wondering what I might like.

I am excited to see what you all recommend! Thank you in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Milano, Milan, Italy
Interlaken, SWITZERLAND
  • Re: Honeymoon Help Needed!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

First of all, congrats melissaerb!!  Sounds like it's gonna be a fantastic honeymoon for sure!  I mean, what better way to spend a honeymoon when you already live in paradise right? 

We do have similar tastes too, though I have yet to visit the places you're going and am in no position to make recommendations.  I can say that Livestock Tavern's new Autumn Menu looks outstanding though... And I know Pig & the Lady's fall menu is delicious  

I'm sure you'll get lot's of great recommendations!  Happy planning & travels! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yes indeed, congratulations and many happy years ahead.

Have you decided on a place in Lake Como to stay?  I'd highly recommend Bellagio as it is wonderful even though a more pricey area however; at this time of year not sure how much will be open in the way of hotels yet the rates should be very good.

Here are a few links to photo albums from our visits to Lago Di Como recently:

Lago Di Como, Italy

Off to Italy We Go, Part One-The Trip to Bellagio

Off To Italy We Go, Part Two-The Stay in Bellagio

In Bellagio Restaurant :: LA PUNTA :: Bellagio Italy has beautiful views of the lake and some incredible food and Restaurant | Pizzeria | Steak Hause | * BABAYAGA * | Bellagio | Lake Como | Italy |.  I wish I cold remember a few other places we've eaten, but maybe they pop into my head soon.

For hotels, we've stayed at both Hotel Metropole Bellagio Lake Como - Official Website Albergo Lago di Como and ROOMS | Hotel BellagioDuLac finding that we enjoyed Hotel Metropole a bit more as the rooms were larger and with awesome views of the lake.  If you can get a room on the first floor above the lobby and restaurannt they have a terrace and are incredible.  The corner room actually has a balcony as well overlooking the main street which would be directly above the entrance to the hotel.

P1020536.JPG

Enjoy a most wonderful time.

Thanks, kharada46. Also AHH i haven't been to Livestock Tavern or Pig and the Lady for WEEKS! I fail.  But you gotta try Mud Hen Water if you still haven't made it there! It's getting better all the time...

Me too actually melissaerb 

Do still need to try Mud Hen Water... Haven't even made it to Country Shave Ice in a while!  Oh and still need to try Lee Anne Wong's new Hale Ohuna!  But Livestock's fall menu with the scallops + bone marrow is really calling out to me... That and a P&L Sour from Pig & the Lady

By the way, going to be heading up to Portland soon, any dining tips? 

kharada46 When are you going to Portland? October is my favorite month to be in Portland so you are lucky if you are going then! I am heading there next week myself. So many delicious places to choose from... I miss Mexican food a lot because that is seriously lacking here on the island so I always hit up Porque no? for some carnitas tacos when I'm in town, as joshm has definitely witnessed. AUTENTICA is really good too for higher end Mexican food (and it's in my old neighborhood). Other places not to miss... The Woodsman Tavern, Portland, Ore. (get the ham sampler), Home | Oven and Shaker (FANTASTIC wood fire pizza, honestly it's probably my favorite pizza in Portland, although many people will disagree with me. Go with the spicy soppressata with honey pizza, and FOR SURE get the kale salad. I dream about that salad), LePigeon is worth the money if you want to spend it. And finally, Clyde Common is quintessential Portland. Report back on where you end up!

melissaerb, we're leaving on 10/10, but Hawaiian's timing is kind of junk, so we won't get in until around 10:30pm.  I've heard October was a good time of year to go!  I'm just crossing my fingers for no rain .  Thanks for all the great tips!  You're right, Portland has too many places to eat... it's a little overwhelming!  But quintessential Portland is what we're looking for! 

Btw, have you tried Oahu Mexican Grill and Don Goyo's yet?  In my experience Don Goyo's can be hit or miss, but is generally good, and the owner is from Mexico!  And I've had people tell me that OMG is similar to Chipotle, but I have no clue lol.  Mexican can be difficult to find on the island, but I feel the options are growing and the quality is getting better! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

kharada46 you better get up to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood and have a "prescribed med' or two, you'll most likely find some snow up there at the 6,000' level to frolic around in as well.

This was Memorial Day weekend after they got 9" of snow the night before!!

S3600056.JPG

Geez... that's a lot of snow IAHFLYR

I've been to OMG and it's nothing to write home about... I haven't been to Don Goyo yet but I will! My favorite Mexican spots on Oahu are Cocina in Kaka'ako and Cactus in Kailua. 

Haven't been to either yet melissaerb!  It is a lacking area on the island, but one that seems to be improving more and more!  Now if only we could get killer European fare here...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

melissaerb - Best wishes on your Italian honeymoon trip.

In Tuscany, you might want to try biking (or auto) the Chianti Road, which is SW of Florence. We've driven this country route before and found delightful places to dine and enjoy the countryside.

In Milan, I've stayed at the Marriott on Washington several times and it's quite nice - I'd suggest taxi from train station (Statione Centrale):

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/milit-milan-marriott-hotel/

You can walk to many nearby restaurants in the Fiera Milano, and in Milan the locals traditionally eat at small, street side diners (cafes) where you can choose your food from a buffet line, and eat standing up at a counter, or sit at sidewalk tables.If you prefer inside dining, you might try the Mediterranea Ristorante Mare at Piazza Cincinnato, near the train station (taxi ride from hotel), or on Via B, Marcello 93.

Regarding Lake Como, it's a picturesque place to visit, but you might want to check on availability of hotels and places to eat at this time of the year.

Don't know if this is an option for your itinerary or not, but I'd suggest including overnight stay in Verona, perhaps en route to Milan. And, if you decide on this, make sure you enjoy a meal at Antica Bottega del Vino, on Vicolo Scudo di Francia - and especially, take time to visit their wine cellar:

Antica Bottega del Vino

Verona is a wonderful Italian city, with much to see - and for honeymooners, the actual balcony of Juliet (remember "Romeo & Juliet"?)! You can stand on the balcony and have your spouse propose all over again to you, as many do!

Regret I can't offer much help on Swiss Alps region.

This was super helpful fschumpert! I did end up booking the Milan Marriott Hotel for the last night of our trip. I will check out the restaurants you mentioned. Thank you thank you!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AAlas, I'm afraid I can't help here, for reasons that escape me Italy (and Germany) are my least visited European destinations. But you'll not go wrong in Italy. Congratulations to you!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Yay, Merb! I'm so excited for you to tie the knot. I'm also excited to hear that you'll be spending your honeymoon in beautiful Italy.

I studied abroad in Florence several years ago, and while I don't remember the names of all the amazing restaurants or cool hangout spots, I do remember the name of my favorite gelato shop . It's called La Carraia and it's amazing. Or at least it was when I was there. I'd go almost every day. Here's a link to their website:

LA CARRAIA GROUP

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

melissaerb,

Congratulations!

You have a memorable trip in front of you!  A couple of thoughts:

Having been to Wengen, and the surrounding area I would recommend you consider the following.  You may want to consider taking the Glacier Express Train.  It is one of the most beautiful experiences you can imagine.  It goes from Zermatt to St. Moritz, with stops along the way.  You could catch it at Brig or someplace closer to where you will be.  If you get to St. Moritz, (A fantastic city"), you can take a hour drive, (Or take the bus), down one of the most wonderful drives to Italy.  One place, I have enjoyed at least six times is Chiavenna, Italy.  An inexpensive place on the way to The Bellagio, at a fraction of the price.  If you have detailed questions, I am sure many of us will be glad to help with answers.

HPIM0280.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

The scenery from the train is beautiful!

DSCN0123_0098.jpg

Hotel Conradi, (No Marriotts in area), is both a fantastic place to dine, (English speaking) and nice place to stay in Chiavenna, Italy.  The town is lovely, and you can walk to everything in town.  Just North of Lake Como!

Hope this is helpful!

jerrycoin - Thank you so much! I will look into this rail pass, as I haven't yet booked any trains. In Lake Como area, we are staying at the Albergo Milano in Varenna - because Rick Steves recommended this honeymoon package. Albergo Milano Varenna - Honeymoon package

Wengen looked amazing, and I definitely want to go to some restaurants there, but we couldn't find a hotel, so we are staying in Murren. I am interested in hiking, so I think Murren will be a good launching pad. What is your favorite restaurant or two in that area in that jungfrau region?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

melissaerb,

Good question, and you have a wonderful trip ahead of you!

Two favorite places to dine in Murren are:

The Eiger Guesthouse, a wonderful place, and "Hugs & Cups", an intimate place with a wonderful view!

BTW,  you are not far from a famous city, Crans-Montana.  It also is a wonderful place to spend some time.  This is a place that a lot of famous people relax.  It has a fantastic viewing area of CH and Italy.

This is so helpful, jerrycoin! Thank you!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Wow...  that's so cool, melissaerb !!!  This doesn't answer your question (at all), but my wife and I biked Milan to Venice on our honeymoon just over ... um ... 25 years ago....  That was a memorable trip!!!  You're going to love it!

CONGRATS in advance.

I love that, @ssincd!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Congrats, melissaerb!

Thanks, pluto77! I will post pics of course when I return.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Congats on your upcoming wedding. Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks for helping with this everyone! I wrote a discussion about my trip, so feel free to check it out!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...