3 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2016 7:30 AM by razorbackfan RSS

Miami; JW Marquis or Marriott Biscayne?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Me and the missus have fixed our much delayed honeymoon and have decided on 3 nights in Miami followed by a beach resort week utilising my 7-night travel package certificate. I've already asked for guidance on the 7 nights but felt like I needed some guidance on the Miami bit of the honeymoon.

We've already decided against the Miami beach properties as we want this part to be an urban break, the beach relaxing thing comes later. The Residence Inn, Springhill Suites and Courtyard brands are not honeymoon-ish enough and as we don't have a car the JW Miami is too far out. That leaves us with:

1. JW Beaux, I've excluded that as its not part of Marriott Rewards any longer. No night credit and no points... No thanks!!!! It is actually the top 4 floors of the JW Marquis. Rated number 1 on Tripadvisor

2. JW Marquis, at the southerly end of the downtown district and rated number 2 on TripAdvisor. Reviews vacillate between "The best hotel in America" /"Best hotel experience of my life" - no kidding, some of the reviews are astonishing - through to "Overated & Overpriced" with significant numbers complaining about the lack of elavators resulting in very lengthy waits and a poorly positioned pool that catches little sunlight.

3. Marriott Biscayne Bay, at the northerly end of the downtown district next to a marina and rated number 20 on TripAdvisor. It seems to be in a nicer area and is somewhat cheaper, but not enough to colour my choice. The reviews are mostly complimentary, whinges tend to be minor. It seems a solid hotel.

We are looking to enjoy Miami's downtown vibe and tourist attractions for this portion of the stay and would ideally like to be in easy walking distance of several bars and restaurants and easy reach of the monorail to help us get around. The difference in TripAdvisor rankings doesn't really bother me, but I'm kinda impressed by the many opinions that so hugely rate the JW. Is it really that exceptional? If it's location is inconvenient is the hotel as a big slice of Americana hotelier-ship actually worth the inconvenience. In short, Is the JW Marriott Marquis THAT GOOD?

So opinions please on these 2 hotels and while we're at it any "not to be missed" tourist attractions in Miami, or exceptional restaurants and bars we should try and fit in. All contributions gratefully received...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Miami, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
Miami, Florida, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Marquis Miami
  • Re: Miami; JW Marquis or Marriott Biscayne?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

brightlybob  Did you ever get any feedback to your questions?  Have you been on your honeymoon yet?  If so, which hotel did you choose to stay in?

PS  Anyone else want to offer some feedback?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow I forgot about this thread, and so it seems did everyone else. So please have a "correct" as the only person that turned up! I eventually decided on "none of the above" and to burn 35k IHG points per night at the Intercontiental and reserved that in November

As it happened it all got changed in March when the Autograph we were staying at on the Keys suffered a delayed opening and so we rearranged the entire honeymoon to be at the Stanton SoBe, but did visit the city for a day whilst there.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I was surprised that no one had answered your question.  Do you have any recommendations for visiting the city?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...