18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2015 12:35 PM by LuckyCharm$ RSS

Redeeming Points

tr07 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be cashing in my points for a short family vacation early next year.  The plan is to redeem 4 nights and get the 5th one free.  However, I would like to upgrade from a standard room to a 1 or preferably a 2 bedroom suite.  I have heard that you can use extra points at some hotels to pay for the upgrade.  Does anyone have an idea on how easy or difficult this is to accomplish?  And what is the best way to approach cashing in points.  Do I make the reservation first and then call for an upgrade or should I call first to see what options they allow?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Redeeming Points
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, tr07! I'd like to reach out to our team for clarification around this.  Stay tuned, I'll let you know what they say.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I've done this before. You cannot really do it online on the Marriott website, you need to talk call in the MR reservation line. Yes you can use more points for the upgrade, but not online...

I found that the reservation people can be very creative and helpful when dealing with requests such as this.

JD

tr07 Platinum

Thanks Mr. Dean for the good info.  I thought the upgrade could only be done through direct contact with hotel management.  This sounds much less complicated.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

I am not sure what carat, will find out for you.  But that being said the steps I have taken in this kind of situation is this,

Check out an idea of where you want to book your stay and look into what is available as both paid and reward stays, pretty much scoping how busy the place you want is.  Arm yourself with as much info as possible then call the rewards reservation line and work with one of the call centre agents...they have always been most helpful whenever I have utilized them. 

This sums up point and money upgrades information on the Marriott site....

Upgrade to a preferred view room or larger suite for points or cash. Available at select Marriott Hotels and Resorts® and
    The Ritz-Carlton® hotels.

Please note: You can use upgrade rewards when you are redeeming points for a hotel stay; you will need an upgrade reward for each night in an upgraded room, in addition to your regular hotel reward. Where available, you may use points to upgrade a cash room by using Instant Redemption at the time of check-in.

Look for specific upgrade details under rate rules when booking your redemption reservation online.

Marriott Rewards Logo

Paid Upgrades

At select hotels you can pay for an upgrade on a cost per night basis. The specific price varies by hotel and will be charged to your room during your stay. No Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards points are involved with paid upgrades.

Point Upgrades

Upgrade rewards are available for 5,000 points each. Most rooms require only one upgrade reward per night. However, some hotels require two or more upgrade rewards per night, depending on the view or room type. Availability varies by hotel.

Some upgrades require payment in local currency and cannot be purchased with Marriott Rewards points. So be sure to check the room description when you book online.

Keep in Mind

• Upgrade reward offerings vary by hotel and by season.
    • Most rooms require only one upgrade reward per night. However, in some cases, depending on the view or room type, multiple upgrade rewards may be required for each night.
    • Most resorts require upgrade for rooms with special views, such as ocean or bay view. All Residence Inn® and TownePlace Suites® require upgrade for 2-bedroom or penthouse suites. Marriott Vacation Club® International locations require upgrade for 2 and 3-bedroom suites.

Hope this helps a bit.

tr07 Platinum

Thanks for the info

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

If you post where you are travelling to and when you may get some wonderful insight or helpful hints from the amazing group on this site.

tr07 Platinum

Good idea.  I will do that once we pick between the two destinations.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great info here, Guidedog613!! Thanks for posting!!This is the same information our team has provided. 

If available some hotels will allow members to use upgrade certificates.  An upgrade award requires 5,000 points.  Most upgraded rooms require one upgrade reward per night.  However, some hotels and many resorts require two or more upgrade rewards per night.  Availability and requirements vary by hotel and the time of year.  It is recommended that this request be made as part of making the reservation.

More information can be viewed online at:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/hotelrmup.mi

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i  have called the hotel direct in the past and sorted it out with them always worked in my favour so far

ndn Platinum

It's hit or miss. I have been denied points upgrades in some places; sometimes they ill only take a cash upgrade.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Upgrading award nights is far more miss than hit.

When hen I first joined Marriott Rewards about 10 years ago a search for redeeming points often offered upgrades for both points and cash. Indeed I seem to remember it being on the front page of the rewards offering that you could enhance your stay with rewards upgrades. Nowadays, though it's still present its far more difficult to find hotels that offer this.

From recent searches I seem to recall cash/points upgrades being available at the JW resort in Ontario, the Niagara Fallsview Marriott and the Peterborough hotel in the U.K. I've generally noticed that these upgrades are more freely offered by Ritz-Carlton, especially for "club" rooms.

In my view this is a major flaw in Marriots redemption offerings. You can redeem upgraded rooms for points at most SPG and Hyatt hotels and although Hilton has horrible redemption values on standard rooms it actually has larger room redemption offerings "baked into" it's website, mostly at very good value compared to the cost of standard redemptions.

Platinum 28 Reviews

As many have commented, the system is the height of "inconsistency". 

For what it is worth I will describe an annual "transaction" with a Marriott resort property.  I'm not going to mention the name of the property to avoid anyone there receiving "flack" from their kind actions in relation to our stay.

Each year (for the last six) my family has stayed at a resort property. Our stay always coincides with a major convention in the area.  This convention causes Marriott's computers to "black out" the use of points for that period. (which ofcourse isn't supposed to happen).

Rooms are so difficult to reserve I send the hotel manager an email eleven months in advance (the email communication is at the request of the manager so he can book our requested "suite" which shows unavailable if an attempt to reserve is made using normal procedures).  We book a one bedroom suite which is located in a separate area away from the main hotel building.  The category of this property requires 45000 points a night  for a standard room (if available for points). The suite we desire carries a surcharge of approximately $200 per night.

Upon arrival I request to talk to the manager on duty and advise him/her that there might be a message on the reservation placed by the GM of the property about accepting points (upon arrival ) for the stay.

Now, remember, there are literally no rooms available within 50 miles of this city due to this annual convention.

When the managerial representative appears to greet me they have (for the past few years) let me know that they are aware of the courtesy extended to me each year and he/she immediately charges my account the necessary nightly point rate (four charged one free) and an additional (last Summer I believe it was about 15000 points) amount for the nightly upgrade.

It doesn't hurt to ask.  The paramount penalty of asking is getting a negative response - and we can all (and have) identify with that.

ASK - you will be surprised what can be accomplished.

If it is a resort where using points is difficult and you intend on visiting regularly, develop relationships with management. 

DIPLOMACY is worth "millions" - and as the resident "sarcastic and obnoxious" champion of this site, if I can be diplomatic - anyone can!!!

Pleasant travels.

LuckyCharm$ Gold

kebs23 I'm thinking of looking into this for our Barcelona stay. I really want to upgrade to a junior suite at the Renaissance Fira for the pre-cruise stay. Did you see this option when you booked using points?

kebs23 Silver

LuckyCharm$ I believe I did see an option to pay more $ to upgrade, one option was 30 Euros and the other was 60 Euros. I might as well but I have to think about it... I'm trying to save enough points to maybe get the hotel on the way back for free as well. LOL

I've stayed at the Barcelona Fira several times, it's one of my favourite Marriotts worldwide. The rooftop bar and pool is fab, the restaurant great and the rooms always, as both a gold and plat, upgraded.

I really wouldn't bother with the junior suite upgrade booking though. 2 reasons, firstly if you weren't told it was a jonior suite you wouldn't know, it's simply a longer, thinner room than all the others, albeit with a magnificent floor-to-ceiling window! I'd go for the superior room if I were you, it's completely white with a fabulous bath and palm tree shaped window.

Breakfast is is really good here too. Enjoy!

LuckyCharm$ Gold

Thanks brightlybob you just gave me that extra push that I needs and I will be upgraded to gold by the end of October once I finish this gold challenge and I will definitely look into the superior room. Lastly, is the Fira hotel centrally located? I read that the regular Renaissance is and that was one of my staying options as well, but looking at the pictures of the Fira that is my first choice. We might do the regular Renaissance on the way back.

This place appreciates its gold and plat guests, theyll upgrade you minimum to a superior room, or a suite if possible. I always book the base room but in my 4 stays have had 2 superiors and 2 junior suites. As it doesn't have a lounge it's free restaurant breakfast for you, 7 days a week, and it's a great breakfast.

SO the upsides, great rooftop pool and bar, wonderful stylish rooms, great upgrades, fab breakfast, and cheap too. Downside... Location, location, location. It's close-ish to the airport and it's opposite the massive Fira conference venue, but you'll need to take the tube to the centre (10 mins), and change tubes as well to get to almost all tourist attractions. That can eat up your time if you are one of the type that returns regularly to the hotel several times a day. Not such a problem if you leave after breakfast and return once you've finished your exploring for the day. Mind you, the trains are frequent, every few mins, clean and cheap.

This hotel is frequently less than half the price of the central Renaissance so I  prefer to pocket the cash myself and stay at the Ren Fira.

LuckyCharm$ Gold

Thank you brightlybob the information/advise you are providing me is so helpful. I believe we will keep our reservations at the Ren Fira & you are correct the rooms prices are cheaper.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...