4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2009 11:41 AM by superchief1 RSS

Oahu JW is Spectular

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have seen/visited but not stayed at several of the Marriott properties on the different islands, and they are all fine, but, in my opinion, not great, exciting, exotic, etc.   There is one exception which I'd recommend highly (and I have stayed there): it's the JW Marriott Ihiliani on the tip of Oahu.  Architectually, it is as arresting as the setting is beautiful: I believe it was originally built by the Japanese before it became a Marriott property, which accounts for it not looking like all the other Marriotts in Hawaii.  It is a 30-45 minute drive from the airport, but it is away from the conjestion around Diamondhead, and still within easy driving distance if you want to go to the Royal Hawaiian for a drink or explore Pearl Harbor.

If being in the center of the action is your main focus, I would not recommend this hotel.  But otherwise, the atmosphere and the setting and the architecture combine to make you feel like you are really in Hawaii, and not just another beach resort which could be anywhere.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Oahu JW is Spectular
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Is this the former Hawaiian Regent hotel?  Just wondering. We stayed there about 30 years ago when it was newer.  Needed a Marriott redo I am sure and now it's spectacular!

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum

I agree! But it has a tiny swimming pool!

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm not sure, Stepping.  However, I do know, as I mentioned in my post, that the hotel had a previous incarnation under another name.  It did not look like it could have been 30 years old when I stayed there a couple of years ago, but Marriott make-overs do wonders!

superchief1 Platinum

I agree the hotel and surrounding area are beaurtiful. We stayed at the MVC Koalina timeshare a few years ago, which is a short walk from the JW. The restaurants in the hotel were excellent at that time.  This was a relaxing alternative to the noise and congestion on Wakiki.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...