3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2009 3:32 PM by lesliepamel RSS

INCORRECT REWARDS ACCOUNTS

lesliepamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just a reminder to Insiders to keep a thorough check on their Reward Accounts. 180,000 points were taken from my account by Marriott, when they should not have done so. It took me many weeks and a lot of hostorical figures to prove that I was right and Marriott was wrong. Finally I got the reply below

The Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees had accidently pulled payment for two travel package certificates to cover your one week stay. When the Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees used the certificate reserved for your stay at the San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina the hotel deducted 180,000 points from your account. I have manually returned the 180,000 points to your account that was incorrectly deducted.

And no apologies!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: INCORRECT REWARDS ACCOUNTS
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Excellent advice--we all need to be aware of changes in our accounts. This goes for anything that we accrue points with. I myself (as I have posted in the past) was the victim of identity theft with my own Rewards account--someone was making phantom reservations using my name and number and then canceling them, but not before cashing checks! What a hassle to fix that but I give high marks to the folks at the Platinum Desk in Salt Lake, especially Yvonne, who skillfully guided me through the process and ensured that it would e fixed, and it was, within a few days (anxiously waiting). So,caveat emptor as they say--the burden is on each of us to ensure that our accounts are correct, One of the nice features of the Marriott Rewards Visa is that you have two avenues to check to ensure that your points are being credited. In calling them, I have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Thanks for the heads-up LesliePamel. 

Consider e-mailing the correction notice to Customer.Care@marriott.com   Given admission of Marriott's CE error and the weeks of inconvenience you experienced as a result, you are entitled to receive compensation from CE.  This is done by way of Bonus Points.

Given the amount of points you did not have access to coupled with weeks of wasting time trying to track down what happened, consider nothing less than 1,000 to 5,000 bonus points per day that elapsed from the time of checkout to resolution.

Someone at Marriott CE needs to take ownership to ensure that this incident is not repeated.  Do state your disappointment in the fact that Marriott CE did not apologize for the error.

It's happened to me twice this year but not at the level of 180,000 points.  I'm certain you want to put this behind you.  Best wishes and good luck for a speedier resolution.   

lesliepamel Platinum

Thanks for that excellent advice TJC. However I do believe that you may have been  looking at the manner in which Marriott would have looked after customers in the good old days. The 2009 Marriott is best described as MEAN. As I said  earlier the 180,000 points that they took from my Rewards accounts has a value to me of about $2,400.( CAT 6 hotel 7nights) When challenged they said the deduction was correct, when further challenged and faced with evidence of their poor accounting they admitted that I was right. No apolgies, no compensation! 

I requested that they considered compenasation, and used the figures that you suggested - which in my opinion were most reasonable. Marriott offered me 5000 points, and they will not negotiate further. In pursuit of meaness Marriott today is quite prepared to offend their most loyal customers!   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...