5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 3:45 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Using Points at Vacation club properties

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can any insider pass on the points redemption situation at Vacation Club resorts?  I know the no-black-out does not apply, but I am finding it impossible to find points redemption options in South Carolina or Florida resorts in March/April or June-August 2010, despite there being availability to buy.

What's the official position - do vacation clubs just not want points redemptions?

• Re: Using Points at Vacation club properties
    lesliepamel Platinum

I own four weeks at Orlando and one at Hilton Head. I will never again change my weeks for Marriott points as they represent - to the mvci owner - such lousy value.

I don't fully understand why you wish to go to an mvci resort, as they are in such poor condition - Stay with the hotels!

Hope that answers your question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I am finding it impossible to find points redemption options in South Carolina or Florida resorts in March/April or June-August 2010, despite there being availability to buy."

Try this search:

• State=South Carolina
    • Check-in=3/5/10
    • Check-out=3/12/10
    • Use Marriott Points
    • Brand=Marriott Vacation Club

Results:

• Marriott Grand Ocean PointSavers 150,000
    • Marriott Heritage Club Hotel Reward 180,000
    • Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines Hotel Reward 180,000

Note: As of July 15, 2009, Marriott Vacation Club villas were integrated into Hotel Categories. See Marriott Vacation Club Rewards for details. Regards the comments about 'point value', the Terms & Conditions for Marriott Vacation Club Rewards state:

"Marriott Rewards points acquired through ownership of an interest at a Marriott Vacation Club resort may not be used to request a reward certificate for accommodations at a Marriott Vacation Club resort."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

businesspl Silver

Use point to buy checks. Use checks to pay cash. Simple as that.

superchief1 Platinum

I believe that there will be fewer Marriott Vacation Club properties available for point redemption due to fewer MVC owners turning their weeks in for Marriott points. The recent devaluation in MR points makes the points less attractive. While Marriott charges MR members 240,000 points to use a 2 bedroom MVC week at a resort, the owners only receive 110,000 (or less) for the use of their week. Therefore, most MVC owners I know are either using their week, exchanging it for other timeshares through Interval (an exchange company), or renting out the weeks. The result is that Marriott has fewer MVC units available to them. This will likely continue unless Marriott offers a fair point value to owners in the future.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Superchief,

The trend you observe is very real.  Due to the increased redemption levels introduced in January and July 2009, the MVC trade for points usage option delivers less value than years past.

Keep in mind that points obtained by trading a deeded week are ineligible for redemption at MVC. See  Marriott Vacation Club Rewards. IMO, it's much more cost-efficient to exchange your week(s) for $99 through II into another Marriott Vacation Club. 

Trading into a MVC resort that is linked to a Marriott hotel is the best case scenario.  Dining, spa, golf and other amenities offered by the resort may be billed to the room and earn points.  With Platinum Elite, there's the added benefit of the 500 points arrival gift plus the 50% bonus on base points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...