3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2009 8:08 PM by nuhusker RSS

Factors and loads

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The new mantra at major Marriott hotels is that "we used to do that but not any longer." 

Gone

is the potential for suite upgrades, they are being saved for folks who pay and pay full price; gone are the comped breakfasts when the lounge is closed on weekends' gone are the turndowns (when requested means "when we remember" apparently.Gone is the choice of newspaper at the door (based on recent history at one location--not a system wide survey.)

Not gone

is the willingness of the Marriott associates to be friendly and accomodating in major hotels.  Not gone is the willingness of senior personnel to explain why the things mentioned above are gone, sadly.

And so it goes....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Factors and loads
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree, SteppingStones.  All to often, the expectation has become, "I don't know what to expect."  I stayed Sunday night at one of my favorites, West Des Moines Marriott, and including my car, there were six vehicles in the parking lot at 9pm.  The concerige lounge was closed, but I was given a complimentary appetizer in the bar.  Without asking, I got the "upgraded" (corner) room on the concerige level (even at the gov't rate), and I suspect that if I had asked, they would have put me in a suite as they have many other times.  The staff was pleasant and helpful, as usual, but you sense the anxiety when you speak with them.  I received my USA Today at the door in the morning.  I'll be at another of my favorites all next week -- Fairview Park Marriott, VA -- and I suspect the concerige lounge will be closed all week so I'll be interested to see if as usual they offer breakfast in the restaurant for both my wife and I.  I'll let you know.  I guess my question is, are all hotels going thru this same dramatic downturn?  Tough times...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    NuHusker: All good luck with the lounge being open next week--of enough Elite members are booked in they may keep it open. I know my favs are going to be. Congratulations on the neat things that have happened as well to you on this trip. I've just seen a small degradation in service at one of the biggest in the entire chain--little forgetting things, not big ones, but they add up. Staff have complained that revenues are so down that people have been furloughed--first time ever--and that having a 2000 room property is a tremendous operating expense for everyone involved. Agree, but some things we take for granted should be there when we need them. Tough times should generate renewed enthusiasm for making the effort to ensure that every guest is given the most for their money.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"Tough times should generate renewed enthusiasm for making the effort to ensure that every guest is given the most for their money."

This may be one way to overcome or at least offset some of their temporary misfortune.  Works for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...