11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2010 1:08 AM by hawaiiowner RSS

Staying at Mariott on Rewards Points - London

sookti Gold
Currently Being Moderated

The 3 of us (myself, my wife, and our 13 yr old daughter) would like to stay somewhere shortly after New Year, using Marriott Rewards Points. I will be a Gold member, through to Feb 2010 - but I will not be successful in renewing my status - so I would like to use the points at the above time period, so I can get Gold Elite benefits, inlcuding lounge access (hopefully weekend and also weekdays).

I am thinking of staying outside of North America - so I thought one option might be London England - options such as the Cariibbean are out, because they are resorts, and they do not give lounge access (even if they have lounges) to Gold Elite members.

Which Marriott in London would be nice. I was thinking of the Kensington one - because of pointsavers awards, and because of the current pointsavers promotion for discounts.

I have been to London before, so Kensington is a relative good place to stay.

Are there other hotels, esp with good lounges (open 7 days a week) that you would recommend? Which lounges, if any, offer hot and well as cold snacks? Do any lounges offer free PC computer access?

• Re: Staying at Mariott on Rewards Points - London
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Sookti:

Welcome to Insiders.  My wife and I have made plans to spend the week preceding New Years in Boston at the Custom House, steps away from Marriott's Long Wharf hotel, Fanueil Hall and the Quincy Marketplace.  We have many day trips to places and restaurants on our list.  You did the right thing reaching out for information here.  There are many posts about hotels, restaurants, sightseeing and guest experiences about many popular destinations where Marriott has hotels - especially London.

One of the easiest ways to find them is to click, London on the Home page under World Destinations.  You can also use the Search or Advanced Search function to search for a specific hotel you may be considering.

Best wishes for the upcoming holidays and have an enjoyable time in London.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Try County Hall!

Your rewards will be great!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

South Kensington is a good choice - nice lounge, open weekends and near tube station in West London.  Rooms are not huge but good for central London!

barbaracollins Platinum

Hi

I stay at the Kensington Marriott alot, the lounge doesn't allow under 16's (but I take my kids in there 2 and 4)...its a nice hotel, a short walk from the National History & Science Museums.

Its a nice hotel and I prefer it to Marble Arch.

The Regents Park & Maida Vale are quite far out (you wouldn't be able to walk in to central London).

County Hall is very nice too.

I'd go with the best priced out of Kensington, County Hall, Park Lane, Marble Arch...

Barbara

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My favorite London hotel is the County Hall (by far).  But I recently stayed at the Renaissance Chancery Court, located near the British Museum, and it was excellent.  The lounge was open with hot hors d'oeuvres and desserts at night and breakfast -- all seven days.

ProfC

Professor,

That is good advice to share.

Having not stayed here before, I am looking at trying it out on my next London trip.

Please keep the messages coming, as your trip experiences have helped many of us!

lesliepamel Platinum

In my opinion the best lounge in London is at West India Quay. The staff are very friendly, the food and service is excellent. The floor to ceiling windows offer a great views. As the room forms a point at one end, 13 year old kids - and myself - like standing in the point - with windows both sides - its like 'flying' over London. Travel to central London is good as Canary Wharf station is 5 mins away, and DLR ( Docklands Light Railway) is even closer. ( Right outside some bedroom windows - such rooms are not to be recommended!)

jasonm Gold

My wife and I stayed at County Hall (twice) during a two week England & Paris trip in Sept, all on points.  Fantastic location and views.  Rooms were pretty good for such a historic location.  Lounge offered food & drinks 7 days a week & free PC access.  Service was very good as well.  We didn't try the resturant, too many other good places to eat while we were out in the city. I'd stay there again and certainly recomend to anybody. You are right to use your points before you loose Gold status, enjoy the benefits you earned.  We enjoyed using my status and points and will miss my plat. status next year.

County Hall is really nice.

For those who are first timers to London it "Spoils" you!  The Big Red Bus picks you up right in front and takes you to all the sights.

If you are using the Waterloo station for train travel it is walkable.

Have a good trip!

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Sootki, are ya going to see London or just going to see a concierge lounge?

I admit they are a nice benefit to have, but having travelled as an elite and as a "non elite", I can tell you one tends to put too much emphasis on these benefits, which sometimes turn out to be a disappointment.  A couple of years ago, I stayed in London at the London Marriott County Hall (with no lounge access as I was a silver) - and the hotel was great. Room was comfortable, but yes, I did go out of the hotel for breakfast usually since it was pretty pricey in the hotel.  My wife and I went to the continent and came back through London...this time staying at the Marriott Kensington for one night.  I upgraded to the "concierge lounge" pricing - and the room was nice, roomy, no view - the concierge lounge was a great disappointment.  Evening the food was minimal and ran out, morning was VERY so - so (remember this was two years ago though) - but the location was pretty good. There were laundromats nearby, a Sainsbury's across the street, subway stations not too far away.

I prefer the County Hall, and I think their concierge lounge is open 7 days a week - but you know, if you really want to maximize your concierge privilages, I noticed that the Regent's Park Marriott has theirs open 24 hours a day.  You could sit in that lounge round the clock, have free sodas, coffee, tea, some snacks, and maybe you could monopolize the internet computer too.  You'd be able to max out that gold benefit before it runs out.

However, if you want to see London, pick up a London pass with Transport and go and see the sights economically..get out and have fun.  London is far too great of  a city to be sitting in your hotel seeing how many free soda pops you can have.

hawaiiowner Platinum

Chancery Court is the best, with Grosvenor Square a close second.