6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2009 8:21 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Double Night Credits

travelperfect Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Since travel is down it would be great if Marriott were to run its double night credit promotion for all of 2010.  This would allow many travelers who are loosing their elite level to gain it back.  Also, since most of us are looking for greater value this would improve the room rate value.  Loyalty is important and should work both ways.

• Re: Double Night Credits
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Travelperfect -- this is a great idea and you've got scores of backers on this message board.  The double nights and mega bonus promotions are huge incentives for Marriott's most loyal customers.  Let's hope someone at corporate is listening and monitoring this forum.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Pingreeman:

You raise a good point.  I'm going to try and connect-the-dots which may require a long post for which I apologize in advance.

Marriott's Double Nights promotion started May 11th and ended 47 days later on June 26th. In fact, the Double Nights promotion coincided with the 20% discount promotion referred to as the Global Rate Break.  This promotion only applied to weekend nights through September 7th that were booked before June 2nd.  During this period there were many other promotions including the Deal of the Day and so on.   

In theory, if one had the resources booking 38 nights and earning Platinum status would be very feasible within the Double Nights period alone.  Should a person who did just that and requalified as Platinum not deserve the benefits of Elite status? I think so.  In the midst of a terrible economy, Marriott's clarion call with these promotions did stimulate loyal guests to book.  As made evident in the 2nd Qtr Earnings Report, loyal Elite responded, the campaign was successful. It's win-win for everyone.  This is not in defense, per se, of Travelperfect's idea, I think that Double Nights is good for the hospitality business.

Building upon ideas that are good for the hospitality business, PlatinumPrincess' article comparing the programs of the major chains highlighted the fact that Hilton gives Elite night credit for stays when redeeming an award.  As we all know, Marriott does not. 

Knowing that MR points do not appreciate in value and that awards cost more points, this past year has been a balancing act making sure to redeem points to preserve as much value as possible.  To a certain extent, Marriott's PointSavers Plus helps but there are very few properties with PointSavers.

In addition to judiciously promoting Double Nights for a selected period, I think it would be a win-win for Marriott and loyal Elite if Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN) was given when redeeming points.  If you redeem 120,000 points to stay at a Category 6 resort for 4 nights and get the 5th night free and possibly spend an additional 5,000 points per night to upgrade to an oceanfront, what's the big deal in giving 4 or 5 EQN?

Invited to a family event recently, my wife and returned to the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa in Groton, CT a mere 2 miles from the place where twin nephews were christened. It was 25,000 points per night for this Category 5 hotel.  Just yesterday I completed an exhaustive 28-page Guest Satisfaction Survey online.  With regrets, I forgot to express this point.  

As previously pointed out by Stepping Stones, Marriott incurs a liability for Marriott Rewards points.  They must reserve funds to reimburse the franchise hotels for points that will be redeemed in the future.  In an off-year, relaxing T&C and extending EQN for point stays has the impact of reducing liability.  It would also stimulate Elite members with point balances to consider redeeming them to get the extra value plus the EQN.  Again, a win-win.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thinze3 Gold

Pingreeman

You do have a good point, but Marriott probably has 50 people who have 37.5 nights to every 1 that has 175. As a business decision, yes Marriott should appease the 50, even if it means not having a room for you every once in a while.

• Re: Double Night Credits-Give 'em the Pickle
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Thinze3

Nicely done.  Your candid reply to Pingreeman is a great reminder of Bob Farrell's, 'Give 'em the Pickle' customer service story.

Let's hope Marriott does the 50 right and 'Gives 'em Double Nights'!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Isn't this a great country where we can choose to participate or not in what seems like a never-ending array of Marriott promotions? Don't stay/don't play.  I wonder if you could opt out of the double nights promo and just get single night credit?  I never begrudge another person for coming by a perk legally and ethically.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Pinegreeman:

The Thanksgiving holiday is a very popular time for family travel, it is truly regrettable to hear that you had such a disappointing experience. 

Since Platinum Premier reservations arranged the booking and dealt with the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort on your behalf, it is the Resort that breached the reservation and failed to deliver upon expectations.

Ultimately, every hotel is responsible for taking ownership to deliver upon the Marriott promise.  Did you and your family check-out relaxed, revived and re-engerized?  Did you receive the accomodations that Platinum Premier reserved for you? 

Your best recourse is to report what took place to Customer.Care@marriott.com and escalate to the SLC executive office until Courtyard Isla Verde Beach issues a complete refund of the total points you redeemed. 

Optimistically, a complete refund will make the value of Platinum Premier self-evident.  Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...