3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2009 6:07 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Travel Tip - I take it back...

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Insiders,

My appologies for recommending to book separate reservations to maximize bonus points.  While this has worked in the past (for reasons unrelated to maximizing points), the results of my recent experiments with this have proven otherwise.

Last week I booked 2 reservations at a CY for 2 consecutive days at the same rate.  When I checked in they offered to combine the reservations and cancel my 2nd one.  I mentioned that I wanted the reservation separate because my travel plans may change.  They were fine with that, but later that evening when I called the desk to tell them I would be staying, they automatically combined the reservations.

So this week I tried again at a RI.  The first reservation was for a lower rate for 1 night, then the 2nd reservation at a higher rate for 2 nights.  When I checked in and they saw both reservations, they immediately offered to combine them, even though the rates were different.

Sorry, next time I will do my experiments BEFORE I post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel Tip - I take it back...
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you try to get them to go back to the original rate? I have found that when I have booked at a promotional or dicounted rate for part of a stay and the rack rate for the remainder one of two things will happen: either they honor the discount for the whole stay (whopee!) or they make a mistake and add the whole fee to the cheaper nights. (boo).

So, I print off the first page of the reservation and keep it with me so that I can refer them to the 8 reservation number.  Seems that the Marsha system they use recycles the reservation numbers so once you're cleared from the system they cannot find you by that method.

Worth a try and I think that tip you posted still is a good one. Sorry it did not work out these times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pltnmprincess -- I wouldn't worry a whole lot about this.  I certainly never thought you were trying to pull anything over on Marriott or anybody else.  At least you were trying to contribute something positive instead of complaining and trashing Marriott hotels.  Appreciate your ideas.  Keep 'em comin'!  Plus, you've made the front page of Marriott Rewards Insiders.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Pltnmprincess

A retraction for any reason is hard to come by these days and an apology surely gets the spotlight. NUHusker is spot-on, thank you for your positive and thoughtful contributions.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...