20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2015 4:14 PM by lindseyh RSS

First trip to Chicago

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

A few weeks ago I took my first trip to the Midwest, and... well, I loved it! I sometimes forget how culturally different regions of the U.S. can be, and it was so much fun meeting locals and learning about local customs. Of course I did the typical touristy stuff, like stand at the top of the Willis Tower, lounge in Millennium Park, and ride bikes along the lake front, but I was fortunate to have a family friend show me all the local favorites. I ate my first deep-dish pizza at Pequod’s Pizza, which is supposedly the best deep dish in all Chicago, I took the “L” to the Wicker Park neighborhood to catch a music show, and saw fireflies for the first time! We don’t have fireflies in the Pacific Northwest, so this was really exciting for me. They are so cute.

One of my favorite experiences in the city was at the Art Institute of Chicago. If you haven’t been, you MUST go, especially if you’re an art lover like myself. This museum holds so many of the greats: Picasso, Dali, Monet, Lichtenstein…The list just keeps on going. I was like a kid in a candy store. This was also a great opportunity to escape the heat and the humidity. It was so hot and I’m not used to humidity like that (something else we don’t get in Oregon), so being inside for a few hours was a nice escape.

There were so many things I loved about Chicago that I can’t wait to go back. I’d love to hear from others on what they’ve had the pleasure of experiencing in the Windy City. Have a favorite restaurant? Favorite experience? Have a must-see? I’d like to hear it so I can start planning my next trip.

Many of you have published some other helpful threads about Chicago, which I checked out before my trip (Thank you!). Here they are for anyone traveling to the Windy City soon:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/22095#22095

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/1601#1601

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/5506#5506

Of course, I had to take a photo of the famous jelly bean, a.k.a. Cloud Gate.

IMG_20150730_110715.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago , Illinois, USA
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
  • Re: First trip to Chicago
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

lindseyh,

Congratulations on your trip!

Here are a few more places to enjoy:

chicago1.jpg

The river cruise!

IMG_3291.JPG

Great dining!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Oh yes it can get plenty humid in the Windy City alright, but sounds like you made the best of it and had a wonderful time.  Next visit try a few of these places for some wonderful food.

The Purple Pig is a fun spot specializing in

P1010911.JPG

P1010906.JPG

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab | Chicago great Happy Hour and place to mingle with the locals.

Of course you must have a Chicago Dog!

P1010932.JPG

P1010938.JPG

And then for those of us who love to grill one must visit Weber Grill.

P1010920.JPGP1010923.JPG

Among numerous other wonderful spots!

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I was hoping someone would chime in with a mention of a Chicago Dog! I've never been but would like to, mostly so I could try deep dish pizza and a Chicago dog

joshm Member

OH MY.

IAHFLYR, this is flat out ridiculous! Chicago dogs?!? BBQ?! Just more reason to go in my opinion. I have always wanted to go to Chicago; Interestingly, it's probably the one city in America I'm dying to see:

1. I've been a Bulls fan for most of my life. Growing up (and I grew up in the 'sticks' of Southern Oregon), cable/satellite TV wasn't available where we lived. That being said, we had three channels to choose from, four if the weather was good. Back then, the NBA on NBC was a big thing, and the Bulls were on TV a lot. Luckily for me, those were the years in which  the GOAT himself, along with Pippen, Rodman, Longley, Kukoc, Harper, Kerr, and others, DOMINATED the NBA. And mind you, I'm still a diehard Bulls fan. The landscape has changed, but I was still rooting for them through the dark times of the early 2000's. Love, love, LOVE Derrick Rose (hopefully he stays healthy) and Jimmy Butler.

2. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy makes up some of my favorite films, and the city scape that served as the setting had a lot of Chicago in it!

3. Chicago style pizza? Pfff. I'd eat all of it.

IAHFLYR,

Beautiful!

Don't forget these places as well!  WaterTower Place:

IMG_0401.JPG

Love that Ice Cream!

IMG_0395.JPG

Harry Carey's!  (Holy Cow!)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin oh I didn't forget about famous Harry Carey's at all, just didn't want to overwhelm with photos!

P1010902.JPG

IAHFLYR,

Thanks!

There is another nice "Harry Carey's" at The Waterpower Place!

DSCN0253.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
            Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North

Yes, yes, and yes, IAHFLYR! There was so much amazing food, but I'm definitely putting these on the list for my next trip. I love BBQ and I love dogs, so this is perfect! Thank you!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

If you love BBQ, the next time you are in Chicago go to Smoque. It is AWESOME. I am a beef brisket fan and it is absolutely delicious.

joshm Member

Love this!

Love the idea of a river cruise, jerrycoin! That never crossed my mind while I was there, but I bet that's a great, unique way to see the city!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Wrigley Field and Gibson's are an absolute MUST. You don't even have to see your favorite team play to enjoy the ballpark and the history. Gibson's is an awesome steakhouse that I try to get to any time I am in Chicago. Oh, and if you are are breakfast person, Wildberry. You will not be disappointed! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Lindsey,

I just took my first trip to Chicago this year too!  I only stayed for one day, so didn't get to do a lot of activities, but it was truly a lot of fun and I too look forward to returning.  The Art Institute sounds fantastic.  Art Institute of Chicago Named Among Best Museums in the World — Again | NBC Chicago  A concert at the outdoor Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millenium Park seems like a great idea too, along with the Architectural Boat Tour.

I was fortunate to get to enjoy a baseball contest at Wrigley Field, which was memorable, and dined at a splendid French restaurant, Kiki's Bistro.  More about my brief Chicago adventure here.

Did you stay with friends or a hotel?  I loved the JW in the Financial District, though it appears that there are many agreeable Marriott options in Chicago.

That's awesome, pluto77! I would love to go to Wrigley Field on my next trip. I'm sure that's an experience you won't forget!  A concert in Millenium Park was also on my list, but Lolapalooza Music Festival was happening at the time and it was completely sold out.

I actually stayed with a family friend. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the JW and will keep that in mind for next time! That's a great tip for others who are traveling to Chicago as well!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Not surprised you loved it, lindseyh  ...  Great city!!!

A couple of additional postings for others considering a trip there:

Great threads, ssindc! Thank you for sharing these with me. I agree, Chicago is a great city!

702rugbyref Platinum

Love the Taste of Chicago! Glad you enjoyed

chicago2.jpg

"Don't forget these famous places"

chicago 3.jpg

Mr. Beef, a favorite of many Hollywood types, including Jay Leno.

Likewise, Perry's  Deli!

Both wonderful places to relax and enjoy.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Amazing! I've never been to a sailing event like this before, so this would indeed be special, Pluto77. Great find!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...