13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2015 4:03 PM by moonflower RSS

Twice I Purchased in Advance and Twice was Denied Upgrade

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has this happened to anyone? I spoke to a Platinum reservation agent about this today and he said he'd never heard of that. He put me on hold and came back and said in fact yes, the advance purchase is for that room type only and CAN NOT be upgraded even if upgrades are available. I was just on Marriott.com and there was a pop up about if I had any questions about the Paris property that I was looking at and I asked in a chat the same question and was old that" A guest WILL NOT be denied an upgrade solely based on Advance Purchase. Then they dropped me from the chat and I was unable to tell them what I was told earlier today. So which is it. I'm geting ready to make a reservation for Paris and I really don't like the regular rate prices and would consider paying in advance but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about what happened to me twice this year at Marriott properties.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Twice I Purchased in Advance and Twice was Denied Upgrade
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi patrish,

We will ask our team to clarify this and get back to you. Hold tight!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

FIrst time was a Residence Inn in Sharonville. I'd stayed there many times before was was always upgrade except for once when they were full. I was told by the front desk clerk that knew me from staying there other times that this was Advance Purchase and she did in fact have upgrades that' she could give me but the reservation said NO CHANGES. It would not let her upgrade. She tried. I forgot about it and ended up booking a room at a Residence Inn in Jackson, TN. When I checked in again I was told there were corner rooms that were bigger and she get me in there and again she was unable to change the room as well. No big deal but now I'm looking at a Paris hotel and would really like to hope that maybe there is a possibility of an upgrade.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi patrish,

We have heard back from our team and they have advised that someone will reach out to you directly today to discuss. Please let us know if you do not hear from anyone (not sure if by phone or email so I'd be on the lookout for either) by the end of the day. Thank you!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

The one and only time I advanced purchase I received no upgrade even though the place was quiet and the reason was you reserved that room type and paid for it

bert868 Platinum 3 Reviews

I never do the advance purchase.  I also found out from one of the places, that if you want an upgrade, don't do the mobile check in either.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I've never purchased in advance and thus never had the problem. Seems like that's the solution. Don't purchase in advance. Unless, of course, there is a significant savings involved. But then if there is a significant savings I can understand the "no upgrade" philosophy. Kind of like airlines not allowing upgrades if you buy certain discounted fares.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I never knew this and good to know for future reference. Though it does make logical sense that no upgrades would be available or that the FDA could not change it, maybe only supervisors or managers are allowed to change them.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

This is an interesting question. I don't do the advance purchase because 1.) I don't like the idea of not being able to cancel if my plans unexpectedly change and 2.) sometimes the rates go down between the time that the reservation is made and the time for the stay. Sometimes, the new rate is lower than what the old advance purchase rate was (not often, but sometimes). Regarding upgrades after using the mobile check-in, I've gotten an upgrade if available. I just ask when checking in if there are any upgrade available. They often aren't as my check-in times are usually fairly late and the upgrades are "first-come, first-served" unfortunately.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi patrish,

We appreciate the opportunity to provide clarity regarding Marriott's Advanced Purchase rates and room upgrades. Purchasing an advanced purchase rate does not disqualify an elite member from receiving a complimentary room upgrade based on room availability at check-in. However if an elite member has reserved an upgraded room through the advanced purchase rate, the hotel may view that as already being upgraded and not offer an additional upgrade.  This upgrade is limited to a Member's personal guest room.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.  Room upgrades are another way Marriott displays its appreciation for our most valued guests.

Hopefully our team has reached out to you by now.  If they have not, please let us know. 

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

It has not been my experience, certainly not in the UK. In my view the Advance price is about early commitment and nothing more. It isn't a promo to shift certain types of room, and if Marriott claim that it is clearly rubbish. In most cases, hotels usually know how to respond to loyalty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...