10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2015 8:31 PM by john_thai RSS

Is This The Type of Service One Expects from A Courtyard

californiadreamer Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Liberty Station, San Diego Airport Courtyard is a  decent Courtyard, since it is off the freeway and does not get much noise from the airport, even though it is very close.  The staff is not well-trained to deal with room requests or issues.  I called ahead to make sure that my room would not be near whiny ambient noises that bother me.  I specified some areas of noise that are common--ice machines, air exchange fans, etc.  When I arrived, no room had been blocked, and there were limited choices, even though I arrived at check in time.  The front desk selected a room that was in a virtual echo chamber of fans, that not only make noise but make a vibration, two doors down from the electrical room, and above the pool filter that is housed in a small house like structure.  If you stand outside on the balcony it sounds like  a small heliport.  I asked to be moved but was told there were no other rooms available.  Shortly after dinner, a scheduled high school reunion took place in the pool cocktail area, just below these balconies.  No mention of that yuk fest from the staff when discussing my placement in a quiet room. 

I had the worst night in a hotel I ever experienced traveling, and was offered a room nearby, two floor downs facing the parking lot at 3 a.m.  I decided not to leave the room in the middle of the night, with all my photography gear in tow, or worse, leaving it behind unattended as the person at the desk suggested.

Imagine my surprise when a few hours later, while still trying to get some rest, a full blown triathlon started up only yards from my balcony.  This noise included the usual air horn starts, a national anthem, as well as crowd cheering.  Not a word from the staff when discussing my request for a quiet room that this was taking place just outside my balcony, and had been in this location yearly for 3 years.  The only notice the hotel had was that the road leading to the hotel, which was about 1/4 mile away, would be impacted by a triathlon taking place, and it might take longer to get into the hotel from the surrounding streets. 

The next morning I went to the front desk to get a room exchange, and was told the room would be moved as soon as it was vacated, so I left my packed bag and some food items ready to be moved.  I was told it was not a water view room that I paid a premium for, so my rate would be lowered.  I asked for a discount on the first night, but was told I had to speak to the manager.  So off to my meeting I went, sleepless in San Diego, with the offer of a free cup of coffee..

When I returned to the hotel to take a nap several hours later, presumably in my new room, I was told it was not ready and to wait for the keys, even though a call was made an hour before I was to arrive, to let them know I needed to have a room available for a nap.  I was told to chill in the lobby while they moved the one bag to the other room.  I offered to do the moving, and was told that was not necessary. I asked for a working key for my original room so I could lie down, and was refused, since my one bag was being moved.   So my opportunity for a nap dissipated since I had other obligations that could not be cancelled. 

The following day when I was checking out with my adult son, who had a train to catch to his home in Southern California, I noted that they had not reduced the rate for a non-view room, as promised the previous morning.  Again, told I had to wait for a manager, who was coming down from another floor and would be there momentarily.  Not so, it took over 10 minutes for him to arrive, after I told the front desk clerk that this was the time we had to have a meal before his train left, so I had to get going.  Finally the man shows up, Rick, asks me to move away from the desk and tells me even though he is the designated manager, my reservation had been for a bayview room, and I was downgraded because all those rooms were noisy with the pool fan/electrical room generator noise, and there had been no adjustment, he had to speak to another manager not in on Sunday.  Big time waste again, that still has not been resolved as promised when I was downgraded. The so-called manager had no authority to deal with the situation, and I should have been told that from the beginning, rather than being asked to wait for the "manager" only to be told he had no authority to charge me the rate for the room that was clearly downgraded in terms of being water view. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is This The Type of Service One Expects from A Courtyard
    702rugbyref Platinum

Sorry to read this. I stay at the CY on hotel circle and have never had any issue...just a thought.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OOoer, sounds like this hotel dropped the ball in so many ways. I certainly couldn't sleep in the room you describe, indeed  if I'm placed in a top floor room the first thing I do is switch everything off and listen for any whiny fans. If I hear any it's straight back to reception for another room.

Persist here, you should be refunded your first night in full.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

As I read I wavered back and forth between sympathy and humor.

I understand and sympathize about noisy rooms. But other than specifics (as you say, not near the ice machine or vending area) I'm not sure the hotel database will have the information they need to accomodate all your examples (fans, etc.) And with the hotel obviously being full their options are limited.

You didn't mention your status. If you have no MR status, or are Silver or Gold, then it is possible that some Platinums requested similar accomodations and they got priority. It's not always first come, first served.

You said you asked for a water view room then you complained about the noise of people out by the water. Not sure how you blame that on CY.

If you wre moved to a lower grade room you absolutely should have received a refund. And there is no excuse for them not to have someone with authority on site at all times to deal with those types of issues. The acting manager should be able to do that.

It seems to me that the staff wasn't as sympathetic to you or your problems as they should have been. At the same time, what you describe is something I've run into 100 times while travelling. No excuse for CY not helping you out, but if you're going to be travelling a ton and you think this is the worst trip ever you may be in for some unpleasant surprises.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IM afraid you're correct, there. Having spent over 500 nights at "quality" hotels I have experienced the occasional sleepless room, and each time complained bitterly, received a refund and, well, that's it. Regrettably in the world of travel this does happen. It shouldn't, but it does.

WHilst I agree that in booking a water view room OP did unknowingly let himself in for the event (who'd think a water view room would be the noisiest?) the hotel did drop the ball on the rest. Every hotel has an area where the rooms that really only suit the half-deaf, putting a guest who specifically requests a quiet room into one of those is a major ball-drop.

californiadreamer Silver 1 Reviews

Dear John Thai,

I don't think you really understand my comments. You do not disclose whether you are a Marriott employee or contractor.    When a guest asks for a quiet room, it seems that the staff should let the guest know about planned events that would impact the room choice.  I did not complain about people enjoying the water, there were plenty of kayakers, water boards, bike riders, bridge traffic and other activities in and about the water that never had any impact on my stay.  The Courtyard scheduled an event directly below my room involving some estimated 100 drinking guests in the Courtyard that fronts these rooms. I have stayed in Courtyards all over the place and have never encountered this type of event.  The hotel was also aware that the triathlon start was directly outside the Courtyard balconies, yet made no attempt to disclose that other than as described in my original post.  The reason why the hotel experience was so bad was because of the indifference of the front desk staff to my situation, starting from my call 24 hours before arrival.  There are indeed rooms that could have been blocked away from the noise central, where the design flaw of this property became too apparent--the electrical room fans are directed in the corner of the L-shaped building, causing an extreme amount of echo of noise waves unable to travel elsewhere. My room was in the midst of this.

Further, once the problem was known, as in early morning after no sleep, they took more than 5 hours to find a room, even though it is well known that people start checking out quite early in the morning.  So I was roomless for hours, and it impacted my ability to get any type of rest during a very important and busy day in San Diego.  I have traveled all over the world, and have never encountered such indifference, even in some of the most remote and humble areas of the world. 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

It's always enlightening to watch people who respond to posters who don't fully sympathize with them by claiming or implying "you must be a Marriott employee". Isn't it possible that I simply view things differently than you do?

For the record, unless Marriott suddenly got the in the oil business I have no relationship with them other than being Lifetime Platinum.

I actually agreed with you, and said so, that you should have your room rate reduced and that the staff handled it poorly. But I don't think it's realistic for them to forsee every single noise making event and make sure that every single customer is protected from that noise. Life happens.

You had an unpleasant experience. I acknowledged that. But I don't agree that you just experienced the worst trip ever. If it was the worst trip ever for you, stop travelling. It can be a whole lot worse.

Platinum 28 Reviews

BOTTOM LINE - californiadreamer WAS WRONGED!

It is always entertaining to read comments about an unacceptable stay   at a Marriott property.  Especially when the situation could have been avoided with proper management.

This situation is an insider problem - we are all affected if messages to management are not received that a guest's treatment was an embarrassment to the property (and Marriott).

Although I have not inquired but I would guess that this CY (as the majority are) is a franchise.  Consequently they are required to (but policing is mild) to adhere to certain "Marriott" standards.  When they don't deliver it is rare that Marriott ever hears about it.

(I have a proposal that will be posted asking for comments from concerned insiders.  To describe it here would be redundant to the new post.)

californiadreamer you deserve much more than apology!!!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds frustrating, californiadreamer!! I'd like to bring this to our teams attention as your issue is still not resolved.  Could you do me a favor and private message me additional details of your stay? Mainly your check in/check out dates.  This way we can reach a resolution faster.  Thanks in advance.

Platinum 28 Reviews

@carat

With all due respect, I have just posted a discussion on why we need representation when "wronged" by the actions (mismanagement and poor treatment) by a property.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...