10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2015 8:49 AM by clebert RSS

Used MR points for hotel stay--do the nights count?

osmanthus77 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello MR insiders,

I'm a new member to MR Insiders forum.  I recently stayed at a hotel using MR points and am wondering if those nights will count.  I didn't earn any points but I need 4 nights this year to renew my Gold Elite status.  If those free nights count, then I only need 1.

Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Used MR points for hotel stay--do the nights count?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi and welcome to Insiders osmanthus77,

Sorry, but you only earn nights toward Elite status for paid nights so it looks like you'll need four more paid nights to retain Gold Elite.

Wander around the site some and check out the many helpful threads as well as seasoned travelers that will be able to help you with so many different topics.  Some great folks here as well as excellent moderators the likes of KatieC, lindseyh, carat, joshm, deannad as well as the NathalieF.

Enjoy your time here and again great to have newbies!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

You've beaten us to the punch, IAHFLYR, I couldn't have said it better myself!  Thank you!!

Welcome osmanthus77!! IAHFLYR is correct, you can only earn nights towards Elite status for paid nights. 

We're glad your here and are looking forward to hearing more from you!!

landk Platinum

The nights issue has been answered above but I just wanted to add that I know of hotels in the UK that if you use points and the hotel doesn't have an executive lounge you wont get offered a free breakfast in the restaurant if you are gold/platinum reward members. I don't if this is general, part of the 'using points' conditions or just specific hotels but thought I would mention it.

ndn Platinum

That would be a violation of the terms and conditions. If the hotels are not offering free breakfast or 750 points option when lounge is closed, they are in violation of the rewards terms. I would contact Marriott Rewards, publish the violation of terms on all review sites, and file with whatever BBB equivalent exists in the UK.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Sorry, no credit,  Do you have a MR credit card? These cards give you an extra night credit for each $3,000 spent.  I wouldn't make Platinum without it.  In fact, I wouldn't make Gold most years,

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

osmanthus77, some hotels give a welcome gift of points even if you're there on points, but that might only apply with platinum status.  Also, if you are traveling with others and put all the rooms under your MR number, you'll get credit for 1 night even if your room is on points, assuming at least 1 other room is being paid for.  Also, in that case, others on your reservation will get CL access, assuming you are entitled to it.  It's a nice perk.

ndn Platinum

The welcome points are only for platinum members, but are given regardless of whether the stay is an award stay or paid stay. The CL access is only guaranteed for Gold/Platinum member and 1 guest, not per room booked under your account. Any additional CL access is above and beyond the requirements. That said, if CL is closed or does not exist, breakfast must be given in the restaurant or 750 points given to elite member (not per room)--regardless of whether the stay is an award stay or paid one.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ndn, when I've booked multiple rooms under my number, all the other guests have always gotten CL access.  And by that, I mean that the front desk told them they had access and their keys worked to access the CL.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...